advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you see that the subsequent production run raises the value of your investment in the crowd-funded project? Future proofing is already built into a design that is years ahead of the competition.

I see, but with all respect, there is always bigger, better and more value.

It’s okay to push boundaries, but do it step by step. Else you could end up catching a dream.

I strongly disagree with you!
How can you be unsatisfied with getting en even better DAC with better software support is beyond me.
The FWC DAC we get will still be unique compared to the commercial product.

I prefer to get an MDAC2 upgrade because I can afford it, it fits in my current home, it is so much more compared to the MDAC. I’d rather take that, than the promises of always more and better features.

It seems some of us understand how low cost the LAKEWEST FUSION DAC is being offered to us and some just don't or refuse to get it.

Many have spelled out clearly the thinking required to reach a rational conclusion that even a school child could figure out....repeatedly....apparently with little result....I think we need to just stop helping now.

Some are thinking about cost/compensation only without looking at the big picture.

This to me sounds somewhat greedy.

The rational thing to do is finish the MDAC2 as proposed, then start the next chapter. There would be no discussion, as everyone gets what he has signed up for.

[…]

@JohnW,
[…]

Can you detail the Fusion DAC (ex MDAC2) project schedule, pls include functionality where applicable:

1. Digital PCB
2. HQ PSU
3. ADC
4. FPGA
5. Chassies including front & back panel
6. miniDSP
7. Software development
8. Testing & Error fixing
9. Production details
10. Whatever I forgot to include ....

A summary of the total Fusion DAC cost would also be good to have here.

Maybe also detailing the role of the miniDSP company in the project, will they be project managing the project as of now?

/Cheers
Lars

+1

[…]
Considering what remains to be designed: Digital PCB, ADC, miniDSP, FPGA, HQ PSU, Front panel display, Back panel ... & all involved software, Testing, Error fixing.

I for one am having difficulty seeing a product delivered to us project shareholders prior summer 2016.

John?

I know that you said it will be faster to develop FWC than MDAC2 but it does seem unrealistic to expect FWC delivery Q4 2015. Can you provide a revised (again) timescale?

I am holding back purchasing an ADC and a phono stage waiting for you to come up with yours. Should I still wait? I cannot use my turntable in the meanwhile. I personally feel Q4 2015 is the longest I want to wait before having a functional Hi-Fi, irrespective of brand.

Further to that, would future components such as ADC, phono stage, etc. be user-installable and retro-compatible, or would they require additional return trips to Czech?

Thanks!

I'm sure all this will be sorted out for everyone in the end. John, you have all my support.

+1

It seems some of us understand how low cost the LAKEWEST FUSION DAC is being offered to us and some just don't or refuse to get it.

Many have spelled out clearly the thinking required to reach a rational conclusion that even a school child could figure out....repeatedly....apparently with little result....I think we need to just stop helping now.

Some are thinking about cost/compensation only without looking at the big picture.

I'm really pleased that most recent posts have been by people who appreciate JohnW, his work, commitment and wishes for this project.

The project drifted from the initial promise (an improved MDAC) both in features, cost and time (I don't trust the Fusion DAC being ready by the end of the year). Not everyone joined for the mighty quest of the perfect DAC. I'm sure a child can understand that too.

Can I just check one thing - I have a buyer for my silver (donor) MDAC (I'd keep my L2 Toy for the second system). Before I sell it, can I confirm that the FWC will definitely happen? I don't want to sell and find out that the FWC is then canned, leaving me having to source another MDAC......

The rational thing to do is finish the MDAC2 as proposed, then start the next chapter. There would be no discussion, as everyone gets what he has signed up for.
What you suggest will not give everyone what they signed up for. Only You will get what you want.

I signed up for a project where John would design a reference DAC and that is exactly what the FWC+HQ PSU sems to be.

What you suggest will not give everyone what they signed up for. Only You will get what you want.

I signed up for a project where John would design a reference DAC and that is exactly what the FWC+HQ PSU sems to be.

Quite interesting comment when original design goal was:

Design Goals
This project aims to design a completely new DAC in the same form factor as the original MDAC. There are many benefits to this approach. We can fully concentrate our effort and resources on the part of a product that determines the performance and features, while foregoing the otherwise necessary, lengthy and expensive industrial & mechanical design. Existing MDAC owners will not need to pay for an entire new product. The MDAC2 consists of a completely new mainboard and rear panel assembly. It is easily retrofitted into an existing M-DAC in place of the original mainboard, making use of it’s aluminum chassis, front panel complete with all the controls, OLED and microprocessor as well as the AC adaptor and remote control.

+1
Nutron you seem determined to ignore all the posts that don't coincide with your almost singular view of the position despite John's generous assurances that he will find a solution for you.

Even if I have some interest in the Fusion DAC (not decided yet), I fail to see anything about a FWC + HQ PSU here.

If you look at the dates it is clearly not reflecting the current state. L3 is not there either.
It is not a contract is was the goals at that point in time.

Quite interesting comment when original design goal was:

Design Goals
This project aims to design a completely new DAC in the same form factor as the original MDAC. There are many benefits to this approach. We can fully concentrate our effort and resources on the part of a product that determines the performance and features, while foregoing the otherwise necessary, lengthy and expensive industrial & mechanical design. Existing MDAC owners will not need to pay for an entire new product. The MDAC2 consists of a completely new mainboard and rear panel assembly. It is easily retrofitted into an existing M-DAC in place of the original mainboard, making use of it’s aluminum chassis, front panel complete with all the controls, OLED and microprocessor as well as the AC adaptor and remote control.

Yes, but if you had been participating in those days, you would have understood that it was essentially an exploration of new possibilities. That's what the Toy and Fusion developments were all about.

- Richard.

As this thread has descended to something akin to a House Of Commons debate, I suggest
a summer recess until John returns to Czech and can get his head around the various issues.

As this thread has descended to something akin to a House Of Commons debate, I suggest
a summer recess until John returns to Czech and can get his head around the various issues.

Agree I think both sides have made their points more than once and we are not getting anywhere so lets do what you suggest.

Disagree, I'd like John to take his time and respond to my prev post for the interest of all. No rush though.

Yes a good shout Paul. I try avoid making combative posts but my discipline has been tested. I'll be taking that recess until we have some clear choices to make.

And here I was with my popcorn waiting for the shoe throwing to commence...

Yes, but if you had been participating in those days, you would have understood that it was essentially an exploration of new possibilities. That's what the Toy and Fusion developments were all about.

- Richard.

I have been following MDAC and 8200CD/Q/DQ threads from the first thread long before I signed to the forum.

Thanks for checking...

It seems to me that everyone has forgot that project was started because John was tired to do those 3-5 days upgrades and because sq results was different unit by unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back