advertisement

Naim Super Lumina Interconnect

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/super-lumina-interconnects
I have the Din to Din version arriving in the next hour thanks to Wayne at Cymbiosis.
super-lumina-interconnects-1.jpg

It already has 150 hours on it.
Looking forward to hearing how good it really is.

during the development of Statement, our flagship amplification system, we began a project in parallel to design a completely new range of high performance Naim cables. We started with a blank page, specifying each element using our expertise in cable construction and material science and based on the results of thousands of hours spent in the listening room testing prototypes.

Here you go Barry - great story.

What's happened at Naim, didn't they use to profess their standard cables that came with kit was deemed good enough for the job?

A friend of mine with 552/500 etcetera should have two of these by now, to evaluate for a week or so. He currently has Hilines.

No doubt he'll add to this thread in early course.

What's happened at Naim, didn't they use to profess their standard cables that came with kit was deemed good enough for the job?

I think the line is that they had tested various cables and found that their own were more suited and weren't to be bettered. Now that they have 'developed' their own range then they've realised that improvements are possible, provided that those come from Naim cables.

These certainly look expensive, as indeed they are at £1,750. I'm quite happy for people to spend that kind of money on these. In fact, please carry on ~ it all helps the economy! Improvements, or otherwise, will be a purely subjective assesment and the only person whose opinion matters is the one who's paying!

Me? For the cost of a few of these I'd be looking at a component change/addition.

I think the line is that they had tested various cables and found that their own were more suited and weren't to be bettered. Now that they have 'developed' their own range then they've realised that improvements are possible, provided that those come from Naim cables.

These certainly look expensive, as indeed they are at £1,750. I'm quite happy for people to spend that kind of money on these. In fact, please carry on ~ it all helps the economy! Improvements, or otherwise, will be a purely subjective assesment and the only person whose opinion matters is the one who's paying!

Me? For the cost of a few of these I'd be looking at a component change/addition.

Agreed, personaly I think Naim want a slice of the cable market.

That was largely JV's stance on such things.

Times have changed.

Naim could stick to its guns, and wince while Statement was used with an assortment of unrolled capacitors masquerading as cables that 'might not make best sense' from a Naim system sound-quality perspective. Or make its own high-end cable, and at least have some kind of control over how the end user puts systems together.

Pragmatically, it's extremely unlikely that someone spending Statement money on electronics is going to spend NAC A5 money on speaker cable, so designing something in the high end ball-park that at least shows the electronics to their best and not their worst is a sensible idea.

Playing this brilliant SQ album now.
51cnBGyYosL.jpg

I am no good at HiFi talk but the bass extension with this cable is excellent.
Its superb on instrument detail.
Back to the music.

"I am just about to plug it in after Donald Fagan finishes".

Bloody hell; another moribund musical icon?

Glad the SL cable is doing the business for you Barry.

John.

The DIN to XLR interconnect that ran between a HiCap and 250 or 135 was bog standard 3-core mains lead (with one core snipped off for the 135!). The surprising thing is, being a geek, I made up some really nice replacements out of top quality screened studio cable (Klotz, Mogami, something like that), and they sounded worse!

Or they have realised it's another way to fleece their loyal customers.
muzzer,
Nice to see you are still posting the same old rubbish.:rolleyes:
There is no fleecing of naim loyal or any customers going on.
People have the choice to listen to these things and can make there own minds up to buy or not to buy.
No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

Bugger. My system sounds broken now :)

Glad the new cable is doing the business Barry. I'm a little luke-warm about that live album, but maybe I'll give it another spin tonight
Cheers
John

Bugger. My system sounds broken now :)

Glad the new cable is doing the business Barry. I'm a little luke-warm about that live album, but maybe I'll give it another spin tonight
Cheers
John
John,
The Sara K and the late great Chris Jones just playing is one of my all time quality favourites.
Had some Steel Pulse.
Now on last years very limited edition SHM Flat recording of Steely Dans Pretzel Logic.
Sounds brilliant.:cool:

The DIN to XLR interconnect that ran between a HiCap and 250 or 135 was bog standard 3-core mains lead (with one core snipped off for the 135!). The surprising thing is, being a geek, I made up some really nice replacements out of top quality screened studio cable (Klotz, Mogami, something like that), and they sounded worse!

Interestingly (or not, depending on your POV) I use a 'black' SNAIC-4 (with a DIN-XLR convertor at the 250 end) instead of the standard 3-core mains lead and find it sounds very much better. Not one of JVs better ideas.

Mr Tibbs

That's interesting, I've not heard of that idea before. I use something not dissimilar in that it's a cable made up by Flashback and is 4 pin DIN at one end splitting to two XLR's at the other (for my 135's).

advertisement

Back