advertisement

Microphony II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the real question to be asked is would you pay £1500 for a 'high performance' equipment stand that you couldn't sonically identify 100% of the time?

I think thats the point for me. Even if there is a difference, it appears that it is very small. Those who do claim to hear it seem to need to be under certain conditions to detect - you know Zen like state with familiar surroundings and equipment etc.

So it makes far more sense to concentrate on the big issues such as room acoustics and spend the money there.

Very small is an euphemism. :) It's 1/(2^10).

You are assuming that people will not be able to tell the difference in a consistent manner. Perhaps you are right...perhaps you're wrong. I do not pretend to have a good guess on how Steven Toy would do.

I never tried any blind tests on possible differences between stands. I would guess I could not tell the difference. I have no conviction if there are any significant audible differences or not.I have not even had the chance to listen to my friend's setup with the new symposium platforms...

My current opinion is that people are very unlikely to be able to detect differences, however I am not assuming that is the outcome. We know the differences are very small if they exist, so under controlled conditions you would expect more difficulty in detection and therefore a result closer to 50/50 - low confidence.

I am not assuming the outcome which is why I want to perform a controlled test.

The differences in stands aren't small in my and many other people's experience.

I've generally been a sceptic on this kind if thing, after all I would prefer to site my CD player on lovely sideboard I have, but time and again my system has been improved significantly by what I plonk the CD player on.

I wonder if the expectation bias is working in reverse for the small group of agressive naysayers on this site. If it can't work you ain't going to hear anything.

The differences in stands aren't small in my and many other people's experience.

I've generally been a sceptic on this kind if thing, after all I would prefer to site my CD player on lovely sideboard I have, but time and again my system has been improved significantly by what I plonk the CD player on.

I wonder if the expectation bias is working in reverse for the small group of agressive naysayers on this site. If it can't work you ain't going to hear anything.

Paul

Would you be willing to quantify the a) many other people hearing a difference, b) the silent number who hear no difference and c) the small group who hear no difference and say so?

If you aren't I can quite understand. BTW I only hear for the turntable support.

I wonder if the expectation bias is working in reverse for the small group of aggressive naysayers on this site. If it can't work you ain't going to hear anything.

I think what you mean is 'if it can't work, someone else ain't going to hear anything'.

Perhaps what we are hearing is resonance, where small loads can induce harmonic vibrations in structures that are incorrectly designed. Very difficult to calculate and measure, I suspect.

Looks to me that the measurement for acceleration was 140 m/s/s. That's what I see on the graph as the scale being used.

Don't know, at this time I'm looking at this graph at it appears to show 140 m/s/s which I assume is the acceleration number along with the 300 Hz number that you plug into the calculator to determine displacement.

I see m/s/s on the graph and not mm/s/s as you guys seem to be indicating.

bYsgcl.jpg

You're numbers quoted below for displacement seems way too low:

= 0.1 mm/s pk velocity
=0.0001 mm pk-pk displacement

That pk-pk displacement coverts to .1 micron.
John the graph clearly shows the scale on the left as a number followed by m (mili). The scale is then m/s/s. the number is therefore 140mm/s/s
I guess it is confusing, but I'm sure BE is correct.

Give it a rest, you're wearing out both drum and stick.

All CD players are poorly designed as are all DACs.

Steven if the sound of your CD player is changed when you move it from supporting surface to supporting surface then it is extremely poorly designed.
Keith.

Give it a rest, you're wearing out both drum and stick.

All CD players are poorly designed as are all DACs.

Sorry Steven its an absolutely valid point.

So you think its a virtue for a CD player to be significantly negatively affected by tiny amounts of vibration, or being placed on different surfaces?

I would say that if it is, then yes it absolutely is a poor design.

I am absolutely bemused by some peoples attitude to this. The ability to be in the same room as the music is an absolute essential design consideration.

John the graph clearly shows the scale on the left as a number followed by m (mili). The scale is then m/s/s. the number is therefore 140mm/s/s
I guess it is confusing, but I'm sure BE is correct.

It is. Unfortunately thats B&K software for you. User hostile is the phrase we use.

Perhaps what we are hearing is resonance, where small loads can induce harmonic vibrations in structures that are incorrectly designed. Very difficult to calculate and measure, I suspect.

Resonance is easy to measure. please take a look at the measurements in posts
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2627143&postcount=403
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2627813&postcount=484

The resonant frequency of my amp (306Hz) is clearly shown by the pink noise and homed in on with the sine wave. The resonances just amplify the excitation input.

You can also bump test (hit with hammer) to provide excitation and measure the reponse directly.

In fairness to whatever CD player Steven uses do remember he is (IIRC) bypassing it's feet with a hard plastic tweak material, i.e. removing some of the designed isolation.

In fairness to whatever CD player Steven uses do remember he is (IIRC) bypassing it's feet with a hard plastic tweak material, i.e. removing some of the designed isolation.

Squidgy feet Steven, squidgy feet :) Be at one with squidgeyness.

Nothing aggressive here, its just Zanussi, the appliance of science.

Some do seem to aggressively object to this approach however.

Christ showing my age :)!

FWIW I can feel vibration in the top of my Rega Apollo R that is currently playing Seventeen Seconds by The Cure through a pair of 15" Tannoys at about 80db av, one of which is about two feet from it. I guess I'd expect to with such a big and full-range driver so close. It doesn't seem to bother it in the slightest.

PS Loud enough that the f***ing postman has just carded me rather than ringing the wireless doorbell that I'd taken into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back