advertisement

Epos ES11 vs. ES12 vs M12/.2

alspe

pfm Member
How those compare against each other (or against ES14's)? Who have owned or carefully listened to all of them?

me, with the exception of the M12/.2. carefully listened. and I've owned the 11's.

you need to use the search bicycle. plenty has been written about the various characteristics of the Epos kit. Whatever you think, you're going to need a great source, and good amplification to run most of the speakers on this list.

I'm very familiar with ES14's, a bit less so with 11's and not at all with 12's (which I don't think I've ever heard) - so not much use - sorry.

Otherwise, as above.

I've heard 11 against 14, latter is more demanding and bas is hard to control.
Both have that lovely uncoloured midrange

among those two 11 would be choice for me in smaller room (if not the more recent ESL3)
Original 12 are harder to come by but choose any good cared unscrated pair in orig boxes, they keep prices £150-300

I believe M12/2 is far east stuff, never heard anything positive about them

Unfortunately most of them have biwire connections which is kind of strange

Not sure 14 spares are much available so take care

What Rico says about source/amp - IIrc they were developed on Olive stuff.

By todays standard a bargain

11 vs es12.

11 v precise imaging, refined sound.. but really quite boring tbh. es12 fuller bodied, precise but not quite so imaging, far better bass, slight recess in mids but this the only minor fault. both very even tonally/ vvg at soundstage/ never harsh/ exact same size.

dunno t'others.

I must read older topics through.

I'm now using ES14 MK1's and Exposure XV integrated + Audiolab 8000CD. Sound is quite good but maybe lacking speed and air. I think my speakers could be at the end of their days?:confused: I have owned many Epos speakers and ES14 are, in someway, the best but in someway they are not.

I remember that listened to M5's shortly couple of years ago and they have speed, snap and very fun to listen. Made my feet tapping easily. If bass quantity is enough they could be fine.:) Sadle they are too small ST12 stands...

Hello,

just purchased pair of black M12's, unfortunately without original stands.
I've sold my ES14's long ago (sadly).

Who has exprience of M12's? Not M12.2. What are differences between M12/M12.2 and between ES12?

EDIT: ST12 stands now bought :)

Have owned 11's and 14's and remember hearing 12's some years ago.
Many fans of the 14 on here but I always prefered the 11 v finding it more agile with better treble and in spite of its size appearing to go lower in the bass than the 14.Used mine all the way up to Naim 52/250 .
I thought the 12 had a different tonal balance with more bass and treble but ultimately less music.
In my own opinion of course.

regards

David

Forgot to add that all are excellent speakers especially the ES range but must be used on the dedicated stands for best results.

Have owned 11's and 14's and remember hearing 12's some years ago.
Many fans of the 14 on here but I always prefered the 11 v finding it more agile with better treble and in spite of its size appearing to go lower in the bass than the 14.Used mine all the way up to Naim 52/250 .
I thought the 12 had a different tonal balance with more bass and treble but ultimately less music.
In my own opinion of course.

regards

David

David, you aren't alone - I preferred my ES11's to ES14's also with a NAP250 - both on OEM stands.

Jez

The 11 is a bit lacking in the bass department, but apart from that.....there's a lot to like. The MB Quart tweeter is much nicer than the 14's. The cabinet build on these things is extraordinary.

With regards to servicing, the only killer is the 14's surrounds, which can dry out and crack. AFAIK there isn't a suitable replacement available (it's an odd size driver). Voice coils not a problem.

ES 11 surrounds can be replaced.

Yes, 11s are a very nice overall package.
Other than the lack of low bass which is excusable given the size, and a touch on mid quack, very good speakers and bargains at used prices.

I've heard 11 against 14, latter is more demanding and bas is hard to control.
Both have that lovely uncoloured midrange

among those two 11 would be choice for me in smaller room (if not the more recent ESL3)
Original 12 are harder to come by but choose any good cared unscrated pair in orig boxes, they keep prices £150-300

I believe M12/2 is far east stuff, never heard anything positive about them

Unfortunately most of them have biwire connections which is kind of strange

Not sure 14 spares are much available so take care

What Rico says about source/amp - IIrc they were developed on Olive stuff.

By todays standard a bargain
The M12/12.2 are built in England as with all epos speakers of that era, just owned & designed by a different guy.

The M12 & 12.2 are exceptional speakers if you can get hold of them, pretty sure I saw a pair on Gumtree for £150 recently, absolute steal.

David, you aren't alone - I preferred my ES11's to ES14's also with a NAP250 - both on OEM stands.

Jez

Me too. Found the 14's just a tad ponderous in comparison. es 11's brilliant with Exposure 18 range of power amps. Also with an overkill DV Hx1.2 they were awesome. No great issues with bass either. Fantastic all round speakers.
Keepers.

Having had both 11s and 14s twice! (made the mistake of selling them) I prefer the 14s the mid range is just wonderfully open and transparent whereas the 11 sound a bit shut in here. I agree the 14s treble is a bit ragged compared to the 11. In a small room I'd use 11s.

Ridiculously I keep a mint pair of early, glued bungs and chipboard 14s in a box just in case.

In case of what I have no idea.

advertisement

Back