advertisement

£1500 which turntable?

The Clearaudio concept is a good turntable, especially with the MC option probably the best at the price.

Secondhand, there's the LP12 followed by the rest - unless you go for the Garrard 301 or 401 option, but they are more work as you'll need a decent plinth, service etc.

what's all the references to popcorn about?

If I had 1500 to spend on a TT set up, most likely destination would be a S/H Michell Gyro SE.

Michell are great to deal with for any set up / servicing issues, but in reality the Gyrodec is such a brilliantly designed and engineered bit of kit that there is very little risk in buying a good used example.

what's all the references to popcorn about?

If I had 1500 to spend on a TT set up, most likely destination would be a S/H Michell Gyro SE.

Michell are great to deal with for any set up / servicing issues, but in reality the Gyrodec is such a brilliantly designed and engineered bit of kit that there is very little risk in buying a good used example.

Agree

+2.

Im very happy with the analogue works turntableone ive just got. Really really well made.

+111111 AW turntable one.

this is a must listen. I have a form of this with a Notts Arm and london decca cart and it is beautiful.

Lefty you should have had a listen man!!!!!

Nice project to be starting ...

Is it your first?

What's the rest of the system?

Have you got a phono already - or is it out of that price?

Its my second after a shitty TT a long time ago.

Rest of the system is actually Canadian..I sold all my Naim and Linn equipment and went for a Bel Canto DAC and power amp and the underrated Reference 3A Veenas...all with Analysis Plus silver cable.

I'd suggest finding a decent dealer and listening to a few shortlisted from recommendations here.

I know the Rega models fairly well, but models from Pro-Ject and Funk Firm have also impressed me.

Phono stage and cartridge are as important as the turntable.

Arkless modded Ca. and Benz Ace are good VFM. performers, luckily I have both for sale!

If you buy a Gyro SE with Rega arm and the best cartridge you can afford on your budget you will soon be in trouble.
(i) You will hear someone with a Michell TecnoArm (or better for much more money), which is a quantum leap above the Rega. It will be hard to resist.
(ii) You will hear someone with an HR power supply, which provides an irresistable improvement to performance.

Your budget will be totally blown by then. But you'll be hearing some remarkable sounds.

Go with a Rega RP8 and start with a lower-priced phono pre amp and catridge to start with. Then later you can change the pre and catridge step by step and be happy with it.

When you go the Linn LP12 way, you always will think about changing components and have the same upgrade problem as with Naim - you always think about what you can do to getting a little bit more out of it (and invest even more $$).

s/h stabi S with stogi S and a cheaper MC pickup. nothing mentioned here comes even close plus endless options for upgrade.

If you buy a Gyro SE with Rega arm and the best cartridge you can afford on your budget you will soon be in trouble.
(i) You will hear someone with a Michell TecnoArm (or better for much more money), which is a quantum leap above the Rega. It will be hard to resist.
(ii) You will hear someone with an HR power supply, which provides an irresistable improvement to performance.

Your budget will be totally blown by then. But you'll be hearing some remarkable sounds.

Really. I have yet to hear a techno arm that would make me want to change my Rega, which is a quantum leap above a Michell modded 250. You could fix that itch by getting a RB3** series and when the upgrade bug bites send it to AO to be fettled.

Was going to suggest the Acoustic Signature Challenger, but it'd have to be secondhand as it appears it's now £2850 new.

plattenspieler_acoustic_signature_challenger_bild_1300093456.jpg

advertisement

Back