advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
Thought I'd start this, given the current interest in cycling in PFM, for self and others to record the daily incidents that make cycling both interesting - and dangerous.

Quick summary of this week:

Monday

Pulled out 20 cms to avoid the raised manhole that causes my bike to jump 6 coms in the air. Had checked that no-one was behind me, but the sudden blare of horns and roar of a Maserati driven by someone to whom speed limits did not apply - Monaco plates, inevitably - told me I'd miscalculated the speed. Wobbled slightly as the car passed, possibly more because I was shaking my fist at the driver than the wind tunnel effect.

Felt quite sheepish when had to pass him at the next lights, but the compulsory blonde had his undivided attention.

Sunday

Peloton day. By 9 the road was crowded with cyclists from the many clubs round here. Average age is about seventy, and they hit a cracking pace on the flat.

A largish peloton of 15 or so OAPs swept past me on their superlite Time, Trek and Scott machines as I laboured into the headwind on the trusty Bianchi. They disappeared into the distance, leaving only the authentic cyclist, whom I had come across several times before, ahead. He's the classic cyclist, grizzled since birth, unfussed by cadence, old blue jacket and jeans, knees pointing resolutely outwards to the sea on one side and railway line on the other. I passed him, of course, but couldn't help noticing his slow and steady style was still good for 18 kph.

Caught up with the peloton on the hill. It's actually not a hill, but where the road dips down to go under the railway line, giving a sharpish rise of 200 metres or so. That was enough for the peloton. Age and last night's wine will out.

On the way back chickened out at the roundabout, dismounted and used the pedestrian crossing. Still mindful of the near fatal collision the week before, when I had to throw the bike into a violent swerve, dropping the bike to avoid contact with the Citroen in too much of a hurry to give way.

This is where I prefered to ride my bike.

17cbbfd5.jpg

No arrogant 21st century numpties driving pretentious penis extensions. Few pot holes. Just good roads and proper people.

That's the Vercors in France (to the West of Grenoble) - although drivers across France (outside of Paris) are far better educated and more considerate in general than in the UK. Road surfaces are miles better too.

I was lucky enough to spend four years cycling in Europe. Coming back to the UK has been a shock. I can't understand why so many seem keen to take the sport up on our failing road system.

This is where I prefered to ride my bike.

17cbbfd5.jpg

No arrogant 21st century numpties driving pretentious penis extensions. Few pot holes. Just good roads and proper people.

You must have had a really long selfie stick to take that photo.

Rob.

That's the Vercors in France (to the West of Grenoble) - although drivers across France (outside of Paris) are far better educated and more considerate in general than in the UK. Road surfaces are miles better too.

I was lucky enough to spend four years cycling in Europe. Coming back to the UK has been a shock. I can't understand why so many seem keen to take the sport up on our failing road system.

You can blame the poor drivers' attitude in some instances on the divide-and-rule antics of local authorities who choose to clutter the roads with chicanes and traffic islands designed to pitch cyclists and drivers into conflict with each other with the former being used as human shields in the war against the latter. In the last millenium in the UK cyclists and drivers coexisted more harmoniously just as they still do in France.

Antagonism seems to be the way forward in the UK and folks seem rather shocked by the fact that it is effective on occasion.

Road surfaces and space are not an issue in France for a start. Or if they are, you are not choosing very carefully. :)

I don't get all this angst over cycling v motoring making out that it is one or the other. Most people are both and if they are total cocks, they are likely to be cocks in both guises.

Living at the bottom of a steep winding hill that is popular with cyclists as a 'challenge' presumably because it's so inappropriate and dangerous to use on a bike, I see plenty of inconsiderate examples of both.

I don't get all this angst over cycling v motoring making out that it is one or the other. Most people are both and if they are total cocks, they are likely to be cocks in both guises.

I agree with this. But I also agree with Steven Toy when he states that, in the UK at least, motor vehicles and bicycles are being brought together unnecessarily by moves to create narrow roads and lanes and these two incompatible modes of transport are being pushed towards each other by traffic islands and chicanes. Having been driving to and in London just recently whilst visiting the father in law in hospital, it's becoming more and more evident that these moves are seemingly deliberate as I can't fathom or come up with any other reasons. There seems to be moves to discourage car use, and I can understand this in one sense, but there has to be some acceptance that motor vehicles are here and until there are viable alternatives, they're going to be here for a while. There are whole boroughs littered with speed humps, 20mph limits and traffic islands that weren't there before. It's getting daft now....and dangerous.

Don't assume cyclists are any fan of speed humps. I suspect they irritate us as much as most motorists.

PS Don't expect any serious road-building, or even basic road maintenance under a Conservative government!

I agree with this. But I also agree with Steven Toy when he states that, in the UK at least, motor vehicles and bicycles are being brought together unnecessarily by moves to create narrow roads and lanes and these two incompatible modes of transport are being pushed towards each other by traffic islands and chicanes. Having been driving to and in London just recently whilst visiting the father in law in hospital, it's becoming more and more evident that these moves are seemingly deliberate as I can't fathom or come up with any other reasons. There seems to be moves to discourage car use, and I can understand this in one sense, but there has to be some acceptance that motor vehicles are here and until there are viable alternatives, they're going to be here for a while. There are whole boroughs littered with speed humps, 20mph limits and traffic islands that weren't there before. It's getting daft now....and dangerous.
To this list I would add the ridges in the Shellgrip on bends, and the humped yellow bands that get closer together approaching roundabouts on fast dual carriageways. Both dangerous to motorcyclists, I don't know how they affect cycles.

Don't assume cyclists are any fan of speed humps. I suspect they irritate us as much as most motorists.

PS Don't expect any serious road-building, or even basic road maintenance under a Conservative government!

I'm sure cyclists aren't fans of speed bumps. I'm not levelling anything towards cyclists but more local councils and govt. Their ideas of how to control motorists are counter productive when traffic and the population is increasing bringing everyone closer together.

As for road maintenance....the stuff I've seen didn't come about since the Tory's got into power.....it was well before. What I don't understand is how/why road surfaces need so much in the way of maintence or resurfacing so soon after being initially laid. And I don't understand why any company that has to dig a hole/channel can't seem to fill it in and make it level again afterwards??

I'm sure they do, especially when it's icy. They are an ill wind because later versions are designed to slow up larger vehicles - including ambulances and fire engines.

The older ones are wearing away at the sides resulting in them gouging lumps from the bottom of cars as they drive over them. You can see the groove marks on the top of them.

Regarding the party politics, we had a choice in the GE between moar war on drivers and letting the roads rot.

Neither are wonderful.

<moderating>

I've removed a little bad language as it's entirely unnecessary and doesn't help people browse the site via corporate net-nanny filters.

<moderating>

I've removed a little bad language as it's entirely unnecessary and doesn't help people browse the site via corporate net-nanny filters.

If you've only soft-deleted the post could you please PM it to me in order that I may put it back without the swearing bit at the end. :)

The rest of the post was relevant and in response to a point you made yourself.

I know you don't like editing posts.

Steven, you know the policy round here. You've been here long enough. Either leave it out or censor it yourself, we all know how to do that.

Steven, you know the policy round here. You've been here long enough. Either leave it out or censor it yourself, we all know how to do that.

I expected it to auto-censor but it didn't.

I should have edited it.

I guess it is to allow Sunny Scunny to get through.

I have been riding many years as a club cyclist, racer and time trialist. I expect an issue every ride whilst out on the road. I do not where ear-phones as listening is the first and best form of defence. Tilt your head regularly and learn to listen to the traffic. Plan ahead - far ahead and steadily ride out if you need to avoid a road hazard - indicate if you have to.

If a driver does slow down well in advance and gives you loads of room - thank him with a little lift of the hand. This passes down the traffic cue and calms them down.

Do not ride 2 abreast in heavy traffic as this just annoys the traffic and you will come off worse. However, if possible, ride off road - much nicer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back