advertisement

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

MichaelC

pfm Member
Spirit of Eden is one truly brilliant album, and what a departure from what came before. Definitely a classic.

Well, I have been spinning Laughing Stock of late. A continuation of Spirit of Eden and, I think, it narrowly betters Spirit of Eden. Fantastic, and both albums worthy of a place in the all time top 100.

I only got into Talk Talk earlier this year; I love Spirit of Eden and agree that it's a classic,.
I don't know their other albums that well, I bought Laughing Stock a few weeks ago, but haven't played it yet - one for the week end:)

The Hollis album and Laughing Stock have the same kind of feel. Both absolutely superb albums along with COS and SOE.

You might also try Heliogland which by coincidence I was listening to on the way to work this AM. Its basically a Tim Friese-Green solo project. A raw and edgy recording but compelling and maybe the best album you've never heard of (another one :) )

Michael, you've opened a can of worms here, always glad to see a TT thread, if i died listening to Inheritance i'd die happy

It took me a while to get into Talk Talk, and it is the latter I like. I must get my mits on Heligoland.

I've almost worn out my copy of Colour of Spring. Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock was a progression that took me a few listens to latch on to, but strangely beautiful when the right mood strikes.

In keeping with his solo release, what was Mark Hollis' quote - something like "Don't play two notes when one will do, and before you play that 1 note make sure you really need it"

Works on that album.

Top man Paul. Got it, and got one. Good to buy from the artist if poss.

And MichaelC, thanks again for highlighting a great release, even if you didn't if you know what I mean. So a thanks to ColinL of course.

I have the Talk Talk LPs and had no idea about the Heligoland projects.

Top man Paul. Got it, and got one. Good to buy from the artist if poss.

And MichaelC, thanks again for highlighting a great release, even if you didn't if you know what I mean. So a thanks to ColinL of course.

I have the Talk Talk LPs and had no idea about the Heligoland projects.
David,
I didn't know about the Heligoland until this thread.
The only Heligoland i had heard of is the brilliant Massive Attack album.
So its a thanks from me also.

advertisement

Back