advertisement

UK Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe what I've been reading. The Libdems have been a disgrace and will rightfully disappear into oblivion soon.

You vote Labour or tory and you know what you get. Nobody has any idea with the LDs, only that they will be motivated by staying on the gravy train ahead of anything, for example demanding a proper referendum on PR.

With the Tory's, you do know what you're going to get.....cuts. With Labour, they aren't honest enough to admit they need more taxes to pay for their bigger state ambitions so are trying to kid the electorate that they can do a lot more with no extra money coming in.....just like the last time.

The LibDems were/are on a hiding to nothing and we're going to get crucified whatever they did. Most complaints about them seem to emanate from their lack of preventing the rise in tuition fees. But as has been said, they were the minority party in the coalition and it's been better with them being there. I hope they're the king maker next time around because the other minor parties are too far on the extremes left and right.

With the Tory's, you do know what you're going to get.....cuts. With Labour, they aren't honest enough to admit they need more taxes to pay for their bigger state ambitions so are trying to kid the electorate that they can do a lot more with no extra money coming in.....just like the last time.

But of course you know that:

1) Labour's manifesto and all their plans are fully costed and have been validated by independent bodies (IFS, etc.)

2) The Tories are the ones who just magiced £6bn of uncosted NHS spending from the Money Tree.

3) Spending under the last Labour government could have been more counter-cyclical but peaked at under 40% of GDP (pre-crisis) and was entirely reasonable.

I'm not bigging them up. I consider both Conservative and Labour utterly hopeless and unfit for purpose

This is a false equivalency though as even if we accept they are equally flawed on Economics one of them has a broadly reasonable view on social justice and the other is happy to screw the sick and the disabled to pay for tax cuts for the rich.

though I would actually vote for my local MP if he was an independent as he's a decent bloke and I respect the pressure he's putting on the powers seeking to cover-up pedogeddon etc.

Simon Danzcuk is doing excellent and very important work and I would happily vote for him even if he were a Tory. Most of us should be so lucky to have such a good local MP to neatly solve issues at the national level that might make us reluctant to vote for a certain party.

Yeah and it will be great if Clegg loses his seat.

He won't.

It would need a big swing to the Conservatives for that to happen. Or a ridiculously HUGE swing to labour because that is the 1 2 3 in his constituency.

I, sadly, live in that constituency.

I'm in Sheffield Hallam too. It's too close to call according to YouGov:

https://yougov.co.uk/#/constituency/393/nowcast/

Election Forecast gives Labour a 28% chance of winning the seat:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/tables/predicted_probability_by_seat.html

This figure was around 22% two weeks ago so it appears LD support is weakening.

Lots of Labour activists knocking on doors and I intend to rouse myself from my habitual apathy to lend my support. Also, there is a big push in the universities to register students to vote - I would expect this to go against the Lib-Dems, for obvious reasons.

All told, Clegg is likely to hold the seat but it's by no means a given.

It's all good. One group promising lower tax and insisting that high quality services can be maintained despite evidence to the contary. The another promising ends to austerity, let the good times roll etc.. and btw we'll get someone other than our core support to pay the bill.

What could possibly go wrong? :)

To sum up discussions so far:

Labour supporters* think Labour have good policies and deserve to win
Tory supporters* think Tories have good policies and deserve to win
LibDem supporters* think LibDems have good policies and deserve to do well
jackbarron has flip-flopped from UKIP to SNP

*Most of whom start their comments by saying: 'I am not a Labour/Tory/LibDem supporter, but ....'

The another promising ends to austerity, let the good times roll etc..

Ending austerity will support the economy while we are in this once in a generation ZLB + Output Gap and is therefore likely to lead to greater growth and therefore more scope for improving services (or cutting taxes).

Ho ho!!
Davis is standing for the 'Unelected Known Tory BBC Political/Economic Correspondent Party' along with Robinson , Paxo. Neil et.al.

Good grief, are you really so stuck in the dull beige 1970s trade union Labour mindset that you would criticise Neil and Paxman for bias, let alone place either in a category with Robinson (who clearly is biased)? They are/were the two best political interviewers on UK TV by a country mile.

Good grief, are you really so stuck in the dull beige 1970s trade union Labour mindset that you would criticise Neil and Paxman for bias, let alone place either in a category with Robinson (who clearly is biased)? They are/were the two best political interviewers on UK TV by a country mile.

Tony, forgive me but I cannot find the word bias anywhere in my post.

But all those I mentioned are known Tories.

Mull

But all those I mentioned are known Tories.

Paxman is not really a Tory and is famously apolitical. He used to be a Communist, was a member of the Labour group at Cambridge and once applied to edit the New Statesman. If I had to guess I would say he was an old school Tory paternalist who voted for Blair until he started invading countries.

But in the case of Paxman and Neill there has never been any suggestion that their political views affect their journalism which is consistently of the highest quality and reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back