advertisement

Vital hi Fi accessories that don't cost all that much?

colasblue

pfm Member
We've all got them.

My favourite is a headphones extension cable long enough to reach all the way to the bog, and allow me a little late night dance if I want.

What's yours?

Goldring record brush, green paper and magic eraser for stylus cleaning.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say Apple TV, it don't cost a lot but offers a lot. I brough my first one to watch Netflix on my TV, then connected it to my DAC via toslink and discovered that it makes a rather decent and easy streaming solution. Now I have four of them :). They only cost £60 now.

Oh, and my Maplin DAC, great little product.

ReBounds aka Cat Piss Deflectors.

Great for subtly tuning out 'bloom' effects in the upper-bass/midrange in particular.

The two I rate the highest are both vinyl related and kind of exist at opposite extremes of price: the first is a Audio Technica vibrating stylus cleaner that I bought back in the '80s and has done it's job perfectly ever since, it works well enough not to faff around with anything else. The second is my VPI 17i record cleaner. I'd honestly not want to go near vinyl without a proper wet vacuum record cleaner having owning one for over fifteen years now, they really are that essential. A game-changing device. Other than that I have very few 'accessories', the only ones that spring to mind are an old-style grey inline MusicWorks mains block in each of my three systems as I like the switched outlets (I turn kit on and off here to save wear on the switches etc), they are well made from decent quality components and seem to make a better connection that the typical cheapo blocks. I like my Shure SFG-2 stylus gauge too, and that's about it. I don't think I've got anything else aside from an assortment of record brushes that the VPI largely renders obsolete.

Tiger Paw Elevator - cueing my ARO is a much less fraught experience now. Best hundy-odd squids I've ever spent.

A Last stylus cleaner and its accompanying brush for regular stylus cleaning.

A wet vacuum record cleaner (a VPI 17 in my case).

Both essential IMO if you play records. More so for me because I live in an extremely humid environment where mould can easily multiply.

Hi Guys;
My mostest and importantest HiFi accessory has to a be a nice comfy chair.

NUFF SAID.

Bateman-Leather-Sofa-Armchair.png

LPSpinner.

Oh and a bottle of something nice always helps as well.:D

I this we are losing track of vital accessories that don't cost a lot

Being all streaming and all digital I have very few accessories but I do like the block of sycamore for my headphones. Cost me about £35 from etsy. It's not really vital or essential but it encourages me to put the headphones back tidily on the coffee table rather than just laying about or hanging from a rather utilitarian headphone hook... Its an unnecessary thing, but it's a nice thing it has a pleasing shape and grain. I listen to music more now late at night and early in the morning because it is at hand.

I can see why some people have headphone only systems.

Untitled by c-g., on Flickr

Logitech Harmony universal remote.

I bought it when my MDAC's remote got lost in a house move. It actually works and is nice to use. Since most hifi remotes are pretty horrid, it's getting a lot of use.

i like that stand - looked on etsy - is it made by a hungarian company?

I'm just outside london so presume you had no issues with the shipping?

I this we are losing track of vital accessories that don't cost a lot

Being all streaming and all digital I have very few accessories but I do like the block of sycamore for my headphones. Cost me about £35 from etsy. It's not really vital or essential but it encourages me to put the headphones back tidily on the coffee table rather than just laying about or hanging from a rather utilitarian headphone hook... Its an unnecessary thing, but it's a nice thing it has a pleasing shape and grain. I listen to music more now late at night and early in the morning because it is at hand.

I can see why some people have headphone only systems.

Untitled by c-g., on Flickr

Two suggestions:

1. Blu tack. Encased in cut up shopping bags as a vibration absorber.
2. A nice glass of wine. Hifi heaven achieved after...

Nice new inner sleeves for my records which after purchase "make the grade" and go into the collection. A fine mist spray for record cleaning fluid and a good record brush.
A stylus toothbrush...those little ones that clean of the fluff balls. Q tips for tape head cleaning. A nice pair of nurses scissors for splicing.

Raspberry Pi with Maplins DAC under £100. Using HD600 phones is the most none digital music I have ever heard, just keep listening. Even Spotify sounds pleasurable. Nothing like the stretching DAC sound some aspire to in the belief they are listening to the highest fidelity

Spotify sounding good is a bad sign regarding the sound quality of that digital source IMO.

Huh? Why? Spotify can sound great @320kbps. I was listening to Gregory Porter (Liquid Spirit) on Spotify last night, it sounded sublime.

advertisement

Back