advertisement

AR Sound Lunar Din has landed

I did email Avi, who said the equilateral was on the warmer side more like the Skylink in tone. I prefer the faster more detailed sound so the standard Lunar is probably more to my taste. Having said that I haven't heard the new cable, but for some this may be a better choice.

So not a single Equilateral user yet? Indeed, quite more expensive than the Lunar, but did someone hear the cable?

this must be one hell of a lengthy tread as the cable price has increased £12 whilst iv'e been reading it its now £257,

It would be more if you were browsing through the Naim price list over the past five years :D

Precisely what have you compared it to?

My journey to the Lunar started with a Naim Lavender. I got the AR Green one and that was an improvement over the Naim. I then went for the blue one (Skylink?) and that was better than the green. I then went to the Lunar. I recently switched our room around and did, as close as one could in our home, a blind dem of four cables that I had. The Lunar, one from Teddy Pardo, one from Flashback and the Naim Lavender.

Mrs A sat on the sofa and, out of sight from her, I switched the cables round. She, and I, quickly narrowed our choice down to the Lunar and the one from Teddy. Then after a bit more switching between these two we came down on the side of the Lunar.

OK, not scientific or double blind but there were clear differences between the cables and one, for us, stood out as the best. Of course this is all highly subjective stuff and home trial is recommended etc etc

Ok, i have the new Lunar Equilateral. Its just been plugged in and is settling in. I won't pass final judgement yet and will post in a few days once I have had chance to have a really good listen.
I will say you might want to start saving ;-)

Ok, i have the new Lunar Equilateral. Its just been plugged in and is settling in. I won't pass final judgement yet and will post in a few days once I have had chance to have a really good listen.
I will say you might want to start saving ;-)

Muttley - looking forward to your findings ;)

I have used teddy pardo RCA/phono between my pre amp/dac (surround receiver) and poweramp for 2 month. I sold the teddy pardo cables and then chanced to AR sound Lunar RCA. The first listen was the background music in the menu on a playstation 4. I could hear a significant difference and then put on some music and was amased how much better the AR sound Lunar cabels are....

I am convinsed that good interconnects are important as well as good speaker cables matching your poweramps.....

Lunar Equilateral – my thought so far
I was in 2 minds as to whether to change my Lunar Din for the Lunar Equilateral Din, as I thought it would be hard to improve on the sound of the former. The Equilateral is quite a bit more expensive but for some this may be too much and others not enough. Anyway, after an email Avi at AR Sound the description he gave of the cable benefits convinced me to give it a try.
The cable probably has not yet fully burned in, but the improvement over the standard Lunar is really quit something. The differences I have noticed
The cable itself is quite bit thicker than the standard Lunar
Detailed high frequency with no glare, delicate and airy
Bass notes appear deeper and better defined with greater dynamics. It gives the feeling of being more natural and warmer, but without losing any attack or speed.
A natural well defined midrange with voices being natural and coherent.
Improved soundstage, especially in portrayal of depth
The final, and best thing for me is the overall detail retrieval. Being a detail freak that I am the ability of the equilateral to bring added realism to the fore is astonishing. There is a huge improvement in the attack and decay of notes with a real sense of space giving everything room to breathe and be heard with ease. It’s also the little incidental instruments or noises otherwise lost in the murk which can be picked out all adding to the complete musical picture.
I am very impressed with this cable and those that have the Lunar cable already now know there is now an AR Sound upgrade with benefits should they wish to do so.

Very interesting. I upgraded to a Lunar last year and was very impressed with the improvement over the standard Naim i/c. Sounds like the Lunar Equilateral is another substantial step forward.
I recently heard the new Naim Lumina and was very impressed with this over the Lunar, but at £1700 it's v expensive. If the Equilateral gets close to the Lumina, then at that price it offers very good VFM. Am tempted to order an Equilateral and borrow a Lumina at the same time to do a comparison.

It will be intersting to see how the naim cable compares. The price of the Naim is just well out of reach for me as are the Chord STA.

Any idea if the Yellow DIN5 (for CD->Amp) would be an upgrade from an NVA Soundpipe? I like the Soundpipe but am getting paranoid by the sheer weight and inflexibility of the actual construction (it actually IS like a pipe!).

Also, has anyone tried the Flashback cables V AR Sound?

Any idea?

Cable is getting even better, detail is extraordinary with bass guitar and kick drums beautifully resolved. Even listening to AC/DC this morning proved to be a revelation.
This cable is really worth investigating if you want to get the best out of your music. BRILLIANT!

I had the the Lunar 5 din to 5 din then purchased the Lunar 4 din to XLR to connect pre amp to power. Ravi said improvement won't be as marked as the 5 din but the sound quality improved substantially

Hope he brings out the XLR;)

advertisement

Back