advertisement

Disgusting Kelloggs

hifi_dave

Hi-Fi Retailer
I do like to eat a healthy breakfast and usually an Oat based cereal. So, with eager anticipation I bought a pack of Kelloggs Special-K multi grain porridge.

Apparently it is a "delicious NEW multi-grain porridge made with oats, rye and barley". The contents states "whole oats". I was expecting a substantial bowlful of whole grain oats and barley with texture and body as pictured on the front and rear of the packet.

The reality is half a small bowl of grey/green slime with a slight chemical flavour. It is absolutely disgusting and nothing at all like the Flahavans organic jumbo oats I usually enjoy. I was, from the pics and description, expecting similar with the addition of barley and rye.

I went to the Kelloggs website to complain but after entering all the required info, the message wasn't sent because 'the administrator was not on line. So, I phoned the 0800 complaints line to be met with total disregard. I was told " lots of people enjoy the product" and it was "just my taste". I asked what do I do and was told that I could "throw it away" and that they wouldn't issue a refund.

I really expected better of Kelloggs.

To my mind it is a trade description issue and I will be reporting it to the relevant authority. Not only that but I was expecting an offer to refund as other companies usually do if a consumer is dissatisfied.

It is not just my 'taste' as it is truly horrible, slime.

There's only one recipe for good porridge:

1. Put the oats in a saucepan, pour in the milk or water and sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time and watching carefully that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. ...

2. To serve. Pour into bowls.

Now throw it in the bin and put some bread in the toaster :)

lolololol roflmao supalolz @ buying anything Kellogg's and expecting something remotely healthy.

They do a cocopops porridge as well, my daughter has already spotted it with her eagle eyes. No thank you.

I tried this stuff a few months back and thought the same as you Dave. The remaining packs went in the bin. That'll teach me to be lazy and not do it as per thebiglebowski's recipe!
Thinking about it now, may be I could have used it to repoint the stone wall in the garden.

My grandad used to enjoy a proper bowl of porridge with salt :) Something about soaking the oats overnight.

Im surprised you didnt get a voucher. They are usually quite keen to appease customers on these complaints lines.

I dont think that many people complain. Some do make a career of it but I thought large companies had refunds built into the sales model

(this is quite a while back) I always buy Scott's Porridge oats but was (as we do) browsing whilest the Mrs was shopping and thought I would give Morrisson's 'own label' oats a try. The quality of the oats was a really low standard and quite simply 'yuk'. I returned to the store when I could and explained that either there was something wrong with the oats or simply they were not nice to taste (I was being as polite as I could without swearing ie these are sh~t). The lady replied they didn't allow return simply on 'taste' however if they were as bad as I had stated she was happy to refund. I duly thanked her.

Same again but not food - some AAA duracell batteries I purchased leaked but this time I phoned them (from the UK website details) and the lady I spoke to was super helpful, she apologised, took all the details from the packaging I (still) had and issued me with a voucher. The voucher when it arrived was worth much more than I payed for the batteries - so once again really impressed!

I think you simply had someone just unhelpful on the day, as most companies bend over backwards to avoid any negative customer feedback, and with social media so active will just accomodate you to avoid it.

I make protein bars for work (mon-fri) and each one contains about 65g of rolled oats... but I just buy the cheapest ones going - something like 75p a kg...

I make protein bars for work (mon-fri) and each one contains about 65g of rolled oats... but I just buy the cheapest ones going - something like 75p a kg...

Care to share the recipe, that's something I'd like to try?

Care to share the recipe, that's something I'd like to try?

yeah, no worries... I make a bacth of a sunday evening and make 5 balls :)

about 350gr of rolled oats
6 scoops of protein powder (I tend to use chocolate flavour)
3 heaped table spoons of ground flax seeds
5 teaspoons of cinnamon
and mix all that together
then I add in - mixed fruit like cranberrys, walnut pieces, desicated coconut, dried fruit like raisins, tropical fruits etc (tho, I tend to mix and match and buy what's on offer etc), dark choc chips -each one is about a palm full...and 5 pieces of cut up crystalized ginger..!
mix these in too...
then I add a couple of table spoons (well, some times upto 4) of honey - as this helps to bind it together...

then I add a 250ml (you can buy packs of 3 for about 1.20) of alpro soy milk - normally choc flavour then mix it all together - and if you get the consistency right you will have a big ball of stickyness... I divide them to 5 and put themmin a foil tray - then pour some oats into the bowl and roll ball in so that they go smooth and are covered in oats...

I then put them back in the foil tray and place in a carrier bacg and in the fridge... and they're good for a week - tho, they are better on the money than the friday... ! but fine for me :) and I have one around 9am - asnd lasts me until lunch at 1pm...

you can also search on youtube for protein bars as there are different variations... :)

My children, all now in their 20s, used to wonder what I had against Kelloggs.
I used to tell them that Kelloggs were evil. That they made high carb cereals which should never be eaten for breakfast and that Kelloggs had brain-washed the world into thinking that their crap should be on every breakfast table.
Perhaps a little OTT but nevertheless true to a degree.
Avoid!

Simon

advertisement

Back