advertisement

Naim's New Price List

AAAHHHH mods my auto correct has killed me again "Naim" not nails, bring on the avalanche of micky taking!!!

BTW 1) good job i bought a DAC V1 and 2) muso stays at 895, they do have some sweet spots

But NACA5 30 a meter?

I just realized I can retire early if I sell my used NAC A5 cable!

Woo-hoo!

Joe

I have what I have now, but I have to admit, it is getting more and more difficult to even think about buying anything new. Yes, roughly $2600 US beans for a Hicap is getting a bit much, along with the rest of it.

But with that said, I am glad that Naim seem to be doing well and are still around, they make good, robust products that for the most part just plain work and sound good too.

Seems like every year though at this time, similar things are said.

I've not tried to peg it to inflation etc, but I'm sure a top-end Naim system in my day (32.5/HiCap/135) was only a fraction of the average national salary. The only Naim kit I ever bought new was a chrome bumper 62/140 in I think 1988 (it was when the 140 first came out) and IIRC the combo cost about £700-750 or so. I later added a second-hand HiCap for I think £250. The current UK average salary is about £26,500, which doesn't seem to buy a lot of Naim!

It's always good for a laugh. Naim are positioning themselves alongside Rolex, and good luck to them. "It's more expensive, so it's got to be better, stanstereason dunnit?"

Man, what a relief. I had thought when the Statement set was built, it was going to be $200,000. But thanks to currency fluctuations and price increase it's now $300,000.00 CDN. Rad.

Naim are positioning themselves alongside Rolex

Are you sure - last time I saw any it was alongside some Cambridge Audio in Richer and a Sony alarm thingy down the department store.

TONY,

In 1988 the 32.5 was £454.25, the HiCap £425.50 and the 135s £1098.25 each. The 62 was £309.35 and the 140 £453.10. All prices incl. of 15% VAT.

If I believe some of the dudes here you would pay £57,000 for the NAC S1 just to worsen the sound of a system instead of using a pre DAC directly connected to a power amp!

Hah! Bit scary too that apparently the price was £125k in January but it's £155k now. That's a bit of a hike and no mistake.

Are you sure - last time I saw any it was alongside some Cambridge Audio in Richer and a Sony alarm thingy down the department store.
Of course I am. The stereo in a Bentley is a Naim, and the flagship amplifier is £155,000 (or whatever). It's never "worth" that in terms of what it does any more than a £50k Rolex is "worth" that to tell the time. Neither of them have anything like the content required to justify these sums, even taking into account the R&D in them. The name says it all - it's a "statement" in every sense. An aspirational item where the inordinate cost is part of the appeal.

Did someone point these things out as "Velben goods" after an economist?

Of course I am. The stereo in a Bentley is a Naim, and the flagship amplifier is £155,000 (or whatever). It's never "worth" that in terms of what it does any more than a £50k Rolex is "worth" that to tell the time. Neither of them have anything like the content required to justify these sums, even taking into account the R&D in them. The name says it all - it's a "statement" in every sense. An aspirational item where the inordinate cost is part of the appeal.

Did someone point these things out as "Velben goods" after an economist?

Well put!

Agreed, but how far from the raw cost to price ratio does it get when you have to question said item, the HiCap is a good one, 1300 retail for what? 50 of parts and some labour? Watches are daft example really, i bought one mentioned above 10 years ago and is worth about 4 times what i paid, that will never be the case with a "statement" they will come on the 2nd hand market for 30k guaranteed

It's always good for a laugh. Naim are positioning themselves alongside Rolex, and good luck to them. "It's more expensive, so it's got to be better, stanstereason dunnit?"

In some ways, you're right. But Rolex make very, very good watches, and as long as you stick to stainless steel, very good value as well. Once you get into the gold/platinum/precious stones territory, then it's a waste of money.

advertisement

Back