advertisement

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

He as bought some PMC 20 24s. Purely off the dealers recommendation. Let's hope they are good.
As Cliff says, that is a lot of money for the standard 6.5" midwoofer and 1" tweeter with a passive crossover. Was there a reason he didn't opt for "proper" speakers with the benefits of a separate woofer/s and midrange given he had the budget?

As Cliff says, that is a lot of money for the standard 6.5" midwoofer and 1" tweeter with a passive crossover. Was there a reason he didn't opt for "proper" speakers with the benefits of a separate woofer/s and midrange given he had the budget?

I'm not sure that more drive units give a better sound. As you probably know ATC's use a transmission line to enhance the bass. The Transmission line on the 20 24 is 3m long, so you can imagine where the money has been spent.

I demoed the 22s and left with mixed feelings, they did many things wonderfully, in fact they did most things wonderfully; the top end sparkles, plenty of detail and they sound very agile however the transmission line just didn’t work for me, it made the frequencies feel disjointed somehow. I’d like to hear them again in a better room and I have heard other longer transmission lines I did like. I think really transmission lines are not suited to small speakers so I expect the 24s to sound better.

I’ve just got my self a pair of Event Opals and they did everything the 22s did well, had non of the flaws and show them a clean pair of heels in terms of bass extension and power, I’m very happy and so glad I didn’t go for the 22s now and for pretty much the same price plus I can sell my power amp now.

I'm not sure that more drive units give a better sound.
I guess they are only better with respect to things like smoother directivity, lower distortion, higher SPL, wider frequency range and the like. Things that are possibly not important to some.

As you probably know ATC's use a transmission line to enhance the bass. The Transmission line on the 20 24 is 3m long, so you can imagine where the money has been spent.
I assume the price charged follows from what the brand will bear and PMC do seem to be considered a strong brand.

I would expect there to be a noticeable difference in bass and midrange sound quality between a competent transmission line loaded 6.5" midwoofer and a competent bass reflex loaded 2 x 8" woofers plus 5" midrange.

Either go for something active or split the budget and change the amp and speakers. The amp will be killing the sound...

Heard the PMCs last night. Very good. A definate step up from the Operas. Mind the operas are superb on my rig.

It's interesting how we in the two channel hifi world look down our noses at AV amps. I have a £500 Marantz in the back room. I tried it with my hifi speakers and it was poor. I think we all realize that cheap ones are crap.

However, when you start spending serious money they really start to come into their own. There is not much between my Naim setup (nac82, nap250) with my new Operas (dad's old speakers) and his AVCA1HDA with his new PMC's. On a detail level his setup shades it.

advertisement

Back