advertisement

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

Yeah its a 7.1 amp. He has a 5.1 setup, the two spare channels are switchable for bi-amping. Makes it something like 280w per channel!

I have heard my monitor Audio PL300s driven by a Denon Av amp, I have no idea which model, but they worked in a 5.1 set up.

Must admit that I like the idea of them. Not heard any though.

The bigger Shahinians need very meaty amps - very low impedance. Definitely try before you buy even with 280Wpc (I tried a pair of obelisk on my 180wpc HH amp and it was as flat as a pancake). That said, they can sound amazing when properly driven.

The bigger Shahinians need very meaty amps - very low impedance. Definitely try before you buy even with 280Wpc (I tried a pair of obelisk on my 180wpc HH amp and it was as flat as a pancake). That said, they can sound amazing when properly driven.

Indeedy so and they hang around 2 Ohms in the important treble region and thats where the ear is so sensitive and any amp stress will be heard.

My amps in case you missed it can deliver 1600wpc into 4 Ohms.........

I did try my Obs with a NAP250 and a pair of NAP135s and even had the latter go through the Avondale upgrade to stage 3. As you say they didn't come alive until those beefy amps I now have even at low volume.

Cheers,

DV

focal 1028be are around 5k new and well worth a listen

a martin logan ethos possibly might come around that and well worth a listen or an electromotion

It's not just wpc you want proper current delivery and massive transformers. The end result is worth it though.

My dad has a budget of up to 5 grand for a pair of floor standers.

His musical taste varies from Classical to Americana.

Amplification comes from a high end Denon AV Amp.

Source in digital.

What should he put on his short list?
Is the amp used for AV duties ?
Does he have other speakers in the mix that will still be used?

Which Denon av amp is he using? Sorry if that's been nswered before but the thread caught my eye and i haven't read it all.

How do the PMC sound now they are at home. Any good.. ? Or should you have tested a few first before you paid?

How do the PMC sound now they are at home. Any good.. ? Or should you have tested a few first before you paid?

They are getting delivered tomorrow (Sat). I wanted him to try a few at home first but hey, what do I know. The dealer says they will change them if he's not happy.

advertisement

Back