advertisement

Fat is the new Thin.

Appetite suppression. That'll do it. Further proof, if any were needed, that in most cases weight loss happens in the head, not the stomach. Still, cheaper and hopefully healthier than gastric reduction. Gastric reduction without associated counselling isn't always going to have the desired effect IMO.

Appetite suppression. That'll do it. Further proof, if any were needed, that in most cases weight loss happens in the head, not the stomach. Still, cheaper and hopefully healthier than gastric reduction. Gastric reduction without associated counselling isn't always going to have the desired effect IMO.

Depends.

Some people are just lazy pigs who eat too much.

But, it has been proven that some people do not have the natural 'fullness' enzyme or whatever and therefore have no autonomous appetite suppression and always feel hungry. Must be horrible.

I can see this drug helping.

OTOH, some people naturally lack, or have wrong levels of, say insulin, or are congenitally high in cholesterol etc., etc., and nobody gets all 'holier than thou' with them.

Mull

And twenty years later when the side effect of having a tree grow out of your head or something else becomes known, then what?

Miracles don't happen, they just don't.

Depends.

Some people are just lazy pigs who eat too much.

But, it has been proven that some people do not have the natural 'fullness' enzyme or whatever and therefore have no autonomous appetite suppression and always feel hungry. Must be horrible.

I can see this drug helping.

OTOH, some people naturally lack, or have wrong levels of, say insulin, or are congenitally high in cholesterol etc., etc., and nobody gets all 'holier than thou' with them.

Mull
I do sympathise with people who have a physiological problem, or even those with a psychological reason for overeating. However they are in a minority and I lost count of the number of people who said "It's me glands" in my childhood, and even then I knew it was a cop-out. You don't hear that any more, it's gone out of fashion. I do hope this works but I know the underlying factors are often psychological - I've a friend who is obese, she went through drugs to stop her digesting dietary fat, later bariatric surgery, and she's still obese. She'll tell you that she knows her digesive system is more efficient than in others, while I lean more to an observation that thin people don't eat cheese and biscuits at midnight most days "just for a treat". I don't think that the psych aspect is addressed.

As for side-effects, that's for the prescribing physician to weigh against the benefit. Some drugs are very safe, others less so. I know at first hand chloramphenicol is a nasty toxic drug, but it saved my life when I had meningitis. It doesn't get dished out like Smarties for a good reason, but if you need it then it's worth the price.

Mull

According to my daughter, who is a psychiatric nurse and knows about these things, that can be due to something called Prader-Willi syndrome.

The first time I heard it I fell about laughing, but apparently Prader-Willi is nothing to do with having a designer todger :eek:

Originally Posted by Mullardman

It is dispiriting when you see the junk that some people have in their shop trolleys to take home. Some kids think that chicken comes into the world in nugget form.

Strange how the 'autonomous appetite suppression' has only switched off in a big way since the 60s and the arrival of supermarkets and very cheap food.

From the thread title I was hoping for something more along the lines of this:

borealis-fat-bike.jpg

Just give the fatties a dose of osteoporosis to reduce their "big bones" to "functioning humanoid" proportions.

Strange how the 'autonomous appetite suppression' has only switched off in a big way since the 60s and the arrival of supermarkets and very cheap food.
I did read about a study many years ago where children in a children's home were given free rein on what they ate. If they were given recognisable foods, they spent a few days going mad and troughing themselves stupid on (say) tinned peaches, but after a while they settled to a reasonably balanced diet. When highly appetising processed foods were introduced it all fell apart. The children weren't able to self regulate and did not find their own way to a balanced diet. It was postulated that the provision of highly nutritious and calorific foods in a form other than that required to recognise the food made it more difficult for the body to work out what was being eaten and regulate the appetite accordingly.

It is of course also the case that food is now dirt cheap and only the extremely poor cannot afford enough calories to live on, or in most cases a substantial excess.

It is of course also the case that food is now dirt cheap and only the extremely poor cannot afford enough calories to live on, or in most cases a substantial excess.

Frank Skinner said 'we are certainly making social progress these days, just see how well feed poor people are'.

Frank Skinner said 'we are certainly making social progress these days, just see how well feed poor people are'.
He's absolutely right. Pass any takeaway and look at the customers. They aren't the ones that you would think could afford to have someone else cook. Meanwhile the wealthy are at home knocking up a porcini and borlotti bean risotto that they "discovered last summer in Tuscany, and it's so easy and quick you won't believe it. More frascati? No? Driving, of course. Just the Pellegrino then."

Fish and chips from the chippie is healthier than 'ready meals' from supermarkets. People eating from a chippie are doing themselves a favour.

advertisement

Back