advertisement

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

Room is about 18 by 14 feet. Wood floor, brick walls.

By 'wood floor' do you mean suspended, or boards of some sort over a solid concrete floor?

A little about the layout would help too. Are the speakers able to be in free space for example?

Zingali are extraordinary value and the best speaker I have heard in the last 20 years.
So much so I am selling mine to get a pair.

My dad has a budget of up to 5 grand for a pair of floor standers.

His musical taste varies from Classical to Americana.

Amplification comes from a high end Denon AV Amp.

Source in digital.

What should he put on his short list?

Not sure I would stick anything more than about £1K speakers on the end of a Denon AV amp

If the AV source is a processor rather than a power amp, then yeah, maybe you could use that as a source for something like a second hand pair of ATC50ASLTs for about that money

By 'wood floor' do you mean suspended, or boards of some sort over a solid concrete floor?

A little about the layout would help too. Are the speakers able to be in free space for example?

Yes suspended floor, carpeted. Room has chimney breast and alcoves. Plenty of space for free placement.

Not sure I would stick anything more than about £1K speakers on the end of a Denon AV amp

If the AV source is a processor rather than a power amp, then yeah, maybe you could use that as a source for something like a second hand pair of ATC50ASLTs for about that money
Your 100% right did not notice it was a AV amp.
In that case it would need to be the B&W small surround speakers which can be bought for under a grand on E-bay

A decent AV amp shouldn't be a block to decent sound, especially if you go the active route. I have active ATC 20s running off the pre-outs of a mid range Arcam AV amp in the lounge and think it's very good indeed. A dedicated 2-channel amp is always an option as an upgrade, just choose one with AV bypass.

My dad has a budget of up to 5 grand for a pair of floor standers.

His musical taste varies from Classical to Americana.

Amplification comes from a high end Denon AV Amp.

Source in digital.

What should he put on his short list?
The Revel F208 is possibly one to consider.

I don't think speakers should be chosen to a budget (apart from as an upper limit) but to suit the room.
I wanted to buy much more expensive speakers, but extensive auditions in my small listening room showed that Harbeth Compact 7s could not be bettered.

(I) + 1 on this prior post...excellent point!
(II) w/o prejudice to the prior post, if you still committed to look for speakers falling in that price strata, those speakers usually warrant better electronics (quality design and quality build integrated amp or separates) rather than the suggested Denon AV receiver.

i own a pair of dali epicon 2, the sound and finishing quality of these speakers are amazing.
depending on the room, there are also the epicon 6 or high end epicon 8

Your 100% right did not notice it was a AV amp.
In that case it would need to be the B&W small surround speakers which can be bought for under a grand on E-bay

I think you are seriously underestimating the quality of this amp. It is on a par with my Naim setup.

advertisement

Back