advertisement

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

PhilDick

pfm Member
My dad has a budget of up to 5 grand for a pair of floor standers.

His musical taste varies from Classical to Americana.

Amplification comes from a high end Denon AV Amp.

Source in digital.

What should he put on his short list?

I don't think speakers should be chosen to a budget (apart from as an upper limit) but to suit the room.
I wanted to buy much more expensive speakers, but extensive auditions in my small listening room showed that Harbeth Compact 7s could not be bettered.

Well below budget, my friend has B&W CM9s, very nice with his Yahama AV amp. (Another friend has older B&Ws with a Denon AV amp as it happens, also works well.) Worth auditioning anyway.

Martin Logans - though it has to be said that the more upmarket MLs are a lot better than the cheaper ones, almost like a reverse law of diminishing returns! I'd go for used Summits... but that's what I did.

Well below budget, my friend has B&W CM9s, very nice with his Yahama AV amp. (Another friend has older B&Ws with a Denon AV amp as it happens, also works well.) Worth auditioning anyway.

He currently has Opera Seconda's so need something better than them.

You got to buy 2nd hand , you will get 2 or 3x the value.
Vivid audio K1, meridian DSP speakers *no amps or dacs required* , ATC etc..tons of good stuff at the 5 grand mark 2nd hand.

More money does not necessarily equal better sound . What is wrong with the opera's ?

edit - i see whats wrong with them is you want them :D

Would be worth pointing out if he intends to place them in a baronial dining hall or a rabbit warren. Not that I would have any recommendations either way.

advertisement

Back