advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTC

PFM Villager...
Seeing as it's a new year, I've rearranged my room so that the ATCs are wider apart and more toed in than before. I really like the look of them this way (though the picture, being wide-angle, exaggerates the size of that coffee table, which I am sure some will be pleased to hear will soon be going).

I've also de-spiked the speakers as the right hand speaker has to be quite a way into the room to balance it with the left, so it will be pulled out for serious listening and pushed back afterwards.

Sounding pretty decent so far, though whether it is better or simply different is difficult to say at this point:

ATC100-Jan-2015.jpg

Alas poor Yorik...
ATCs do like a bit of air behind them.

My 2015 sistem is the same as the 2014 sistem except I felt I wanted to change felt mat on the old home-brew twirly-fier... I may change back for summer and back for winter and so on...

2014:
14894322791_3e517d6823_c.jpg

14897034742_5b426c70fe_c.jpg

Um, thats it until I trash a cart. and then I just a DL103 and rip its soul from its shell to feed the mighty pinkness or purpleness.... unlikely as I stopped buying LPs but I sometimes like to watch them galloping around each other....

40 records is enough for anyone really. It would have been 20 but two arms, two slip mats. Two phono inputs. A funny old journey.

EDIT: I think a lot of people will have disappearing systems in 2015. I can't lay claim to that as I have a frigging SSL workstation in my main room. Follow your passions no matter what unless it's super illegal and seedy...

Nice room Nice speakers
I see no system ?
System is off to the right. Not much to see - black MDAC, SBT and SPL Phonitor (now that I've removed the valve preamp for simplicity). Will take a picture later.

Seeing as it's a new year, I've rearranged my room so that the ATCs are wider apart and more toed in than before. I really like the look of them this way (though the picture, being wide-angle, exaggerates the size of that coffee table, which I am sure some will be pleased to hear will soon be going).

I've also de-spiked the speakers as the right hand speaker has to be quite a way into the room to balance it with the left, so it will be pulled out for serious listening and pushed back afterwards.

Sounding pretty decent so far, though whether it is better or simply different is difficult to say at this point:

ATC100-Jan-2015.jpg

You could just place them wherever you like ,even tight against the wall and use EQ/ active room correction to deal with any issues.
Keith.

Does that really work Keith? I always imagined that reflections would cancel some sounds out that EQs couldn't fix. I am completely ignorant though and have no clue how I would go about trying your suggestion. My speakers hate the close rear and side walls but my wife hates the impractical position of where they sound their best.

Edit. Lovely gear btw chaps. Very jealous of the space you have JTC and who wouldn't want unicorns playing their tunes?

Does that really work Keith? I always imagined that reflections would cancel some sounds out that EQs couldn't fix. I am completely ignorant though and have no clue how I would go about trying your suggestion.

ALways best to spend some time getting them in the right place really and sorting out any room issues you might have using good old acoustics firsts then use DSP afterwards. It looks like you are lucky enough to have enough room to play around and sounds like your wife doesn't mind too much?

DSP is very powerful however you can't add positive EQ really so best to try and sort this other ways if possible, also for obvious reasons DSP can't sort out the time differences between the direct and reflected sound although it can balance the levels.

I use DSP quite extensively, if fact I run my active crossovers in DSP with a little room correction and 'house slope'

I don't really have much latitude for moving things around in my room or even really adding much contour shaping absorption so DSP does help me out more than I would like really, the results are good but it would be better if I could sort the acoustics problems out in the room better

My system is in constant flux, it's always bits of wire and bits of wood in various states of finish, at the moment I'm building some speakers that I have been discussing over in the DIY room, here is my latest post there with some piccies

OK, a little update. I started building them!!

Here are a few pictures of the progress so far, not much but at least a start.

I needed to build a curved form to vacuum clamp the side profiles to, This needs to be quite sturdy to resist crushing under the full weight of the atmosphere!!

I started with a soil pipe

IMAG0728.jpg

Made some supports of the correct diameter with the circle cutter and trimmer them on the small bandsaw

IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

secured the pipe to the support

IMAG0731.jpg

clamped some shuttering to the side, drilled some hole in the base and filled it with expanding foam, hopefully this will help spread the load of the top skin and stop it deforming under the weight of vacuum

IMAG0732.jpg

filled the pipe as well as i need it to stay round if possible and hopefully the foam will help resist deflection a bit

IMAG0738.jpg

after the foam has set

IMAG0739.jpg

screwed a strip of bending ply round the finished form to give the final form shape that I'll use for the vacuum forming.

IMAG0740.jpg

here is an old test baffle stood next to the curved form to give and impression

IMAG0742.jpg

Here are some of the tenon slots being cut into one of the internal braces. The nail is part of a sled I made up with a simple registration hole to ensure that the slots in all of the braces line up. I used the same holes as pivot points for my circle jig for the router to round the edges to the same radius as the vacuum form. Hopefully it'll all line up properly!!

IMAG0743.jpg

Got some lovely sheets of walnut veneer to finish with as well.

All for now.

Yes it really works,we took delivery of a pair of bass reflex speakers that had to be pulled halfway into the room, before they were bearable.
Initially looked at passive correction which is perfect for higher frequencies, but lower bass can effectively only be dealt with electronically.
Keith.

ALways best to spend some time getting them in the right place really and sorting out any room issues you might have using good old acoustics firsts then use DSP afterwards. It looks like you are lucky enough to have enough room to play around and sounds like your wife doesn't mind too much?

DSP is very powerful however you can't add positive EQ really so best to try and sort this other ways if possible, also for obvious reasons DSP can't sort out the time differences between the direct and reflected sound although it can balance the levels.

I use DSP quite extensively, if fact I run my active crossovers in DSP with a little room correction and 'house slope'

I don't really have much latitude for moving things around in my room or even really adding much contour shaping absorption so DSP does help me out more than I would like really, the results are good but it would be better if I could sort the acoustics problems out in the room better

Not strictly true, ( reflections) check out the Illusonic site,
KR Keith.

Thanks Gents, something to get me started on. I am fortunate in that my wife likes music and appreciates the better sound when pulled out, she just priortises how things look over how they sound and, in fairness, it still sounds great close to the wall. Just not as great. And I am a bit geeky.

Hey Keith,

Had a good look over that website, maybe I can't find what you are specifically referring to, the author talks about early reflections in this article

http://www.illusonic.com/illusonic-room-equalization/

but that is only talking about amplitude not direct and early reflection impulse difference.

Taking down the level of bass node does help as it correspondingly reduces the level of the associated reflection/standing wave, however it still doesn't stop them arriving at different times, also the level of both the direct and reflected sound are reduced proportionally, getting your speakers and your chair in the best position by using measurement and looking at impulses and RT60 plots helps us break this relationship by getting us more of the direct sound. Adding various diffusers/traps etc helps break this relationship further by reducing the level of the reflection relative to the direct without reducing the direct. As you rightly point out this gets much more difficult as the frequency drops and DSP definitely helps here more than the rest of the frequency range as at least it helps get the levels correct which is better than having a great big hump in the response!!

Don't get me wrong, as you know I love DSP and I now integrate it into anything I build as a matter of course, I have found my best results have come from trying the understand what is actually going on rather than going for blanket treatment. DSP has had a bad name in the past for killing the music, this IMO came about because of blanket treatment, we now have to tools to more easily understand what is happening, using REW with the excellent value UMIK-1 that you sell is the best example of how user can learn what is occurring in their room. In the vein of this thread being about 2015 systems, if users just add one thing to their setup over the coming months, it should be one of these mic's. They are a real eye opener.

It'd be nice to move the discussion elsewhere and keep this thread mostly to system pictures......

I think JTC's looks great :)

No change to the system since I last posted picrures, but it's now in a new house.

As I mentioned in another thread, it sounds pretty dreadful at the moment. The room is really echoey and needs at least a very large rug, some curtains/blinds, and soft furnishings. Maybe it will need some proper acoustic panels as well, in time.

One thing it does illustrate pretty clearly is that ATC made the power LED on the C1 Sub waaaaaay too bright...

DPP_4104 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_4103 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_4105 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_4106 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back