advertisement

What Japanese made Turntable you having?

Hi timeout, I'm a longtime fan and owner of the better late 1970's/80's Japanese Direct-Drive turntables (eg, Sony PS-X9 & TTS-8000, Denon DP-80 & DP-75, Technics SP-10/2 etc), but most Japanese tonearms from the same period, with a very few notable exceptions, were quite poor/not so good.

I got a Trio KD550 this year out of interest as it was very cheap. I stuck on an old Rega Super Bias. It got an SME cut out armboardwith it so I fancy a Mission 774 at some stage. It's it any good? Weeeeeeeeeellllll it's ok. It's a great lump of composite resin plinth and will get better when I dedicate a little time to it. It's a lot lot more party friendly than a Phonosophie/ARO/Decca.

The good big Japanese decks are known about, are rare and expensive. But they are beautiful objects and usually work. (I'm not implying older tts from other countries don't, far from it- I'm not talking about old CD players!!)

I had a Trio L07D for many years, built like a tank, weighing in at 73lbs, it sounded fantastic, probably the best I've owned. I'm sure there were/are other superb Japanese decks.

cheers Al

Had a Pioneer PL71 and a Technics SL10. Still have the SL10 but not used any more. Liked them both.

Years ago, before the other two, had a Sansui SR212 but can't remember much about it.

I have a Sony PS-6750 and am very happy with it. The carbon fibre arm is half decent and tracks my DV20XH quite happily. Plenty of info on it on the Vintage Knob. They come up on ebay from time to time and a good one fetches around £300.

2014-11-23183807_zpsb3f56ae6.jpg

I purchased a Technics SL-1200 mk2 this year and compared it directly with my Rega Planar 2 and found the Rega was better.

Had many turntables over the years, and with the Sony I've no real desire to change for now. :)
very beautiful deck from Sony

I did a search on Japanese TT, and didn't get much result. it seems like Modern Japanese don't have interest to design and built TT. i could only find 47 LAB KOMA which is very special

most of the results return those old and obsolete TT made by Matsushita Technics, Kenwood, SONY, SANSUI, CEC, Yamaha , Pioneer , Luxman, Onkyo, Denon, Victor

is this a dying breed in Japan? BTW, my source, amplifier, phono amplifier are all from Japan.

Hi timeout, I'm a longtime fan and owner of the better late 1970's/80's Japanese Direct-Drive turntables (eg, Sony PS-X9 & TTS-8000, Denon DP-80 & DP-75, Technics SP-10/2 etc), but most Japanese tonearms from the same period, with a very few notable exceptions, were quite poor/not so good.

are you still into Japanese turntables? any new TT maker to share?

I have a Sony PS-6750 and am very happy with it. The carbon fibre arm is half decent and tracks my DV20XH quite happily. Plenty of info on it on the Vintage Knob. They come up on ebay from time to time and a good one fetches around £300.

2014-11-23183807_zpsb3f56ae6.jpg

beautiful

look at that adjustable footer, it is their attention to details.

my RP6 not level, and need to put name cards underneath the footer to level it..

Technics SL-1000 MkII - SP-10 MkII drive, EPA-100 arm (hopefully one of the good ones of the era?) and SH-10B3 base.

advertisement

Back