advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John I was on the original TDAC list I think so I am still interested,from what you are saying there will be no donor parts from our existing MDAC's so we can sell them and offset some of the cost.Will there be an integral improved power supply as well I guess you will need a unique supply anyway to power the valve stage.
Geoff

For TDAC no - I don't believe there ever was the intent to use anything from the MDAC - although I need resolve the remote handset!!!!

Would audiolab not sell a batch of existing handsets or alternatively we could individually try to get a replacement from them

Would audiolab not sell a batch of existing handsets or alternatively we could individually try to get a replacement from them

I can order then from the vendor in China - however they have a minim order Qty. of 1000 pcs...

During my China tip I'll meet with the vendor to see what can be done.

Hi John, Renata emailed me yesterday about my MDAC shipment, I paid her with PP. Also sent a little gift via PP to [email protected] hope you got it ok.

Nick,

I'm so sorry I meant to email you to say thank you but its just been non stop today!

Forget a drink Ill be able to have a meal for 2 here in Czech :)

I'll be interested if you notice any difference in SQ - also listen to V0.90 :)

I plan to visit China once I've issued the MDAC2 analogue PCB files to start the design of the chassis for VFET amp, MDAC2 slave and TDAC.

Instead a specific one for the slave, why not a full new chassis for MDAC2 with slave?

Michael

Do you have any idea on this John? Just intrigued more than anything.

The problem with your 600ohms headphones is that are high impedance and as such they require voltage swing and not current, so power rating is not important - the MDAC2 will be able to directly drive 2 ohm speakers so can supply power but you need voltage. The Balanced output will double the voltage swing so worth trying if you can get a lead for your headphones.

Instead a specific one for the slave, why not a full new chassis for MDAC2 with slave?

Michael

Sadly there would be no space for 2 PCB's + internal PSU, each MDAC2 PCB is 212mm wide (total 424mm) and the chassis is 430mm wide externally - what a shame!

Maybe with a bit of creative effort I could squeeze the 2 PCB's side by side (by adding internal grooves to slide the PCB's in the side panels as the MDAC chassis) - but then where to put the PSU - maybe in the space between the PCB and front panel...... I'll not say no... but lets see

The problem with your 600ohms headphones is that are high impedance and as such they require voltage swing and not current, so power rating is not important - the MDAC2 will be able to directly drive 2 ohm speakers so can supply power but you need voltage. The Balanced output will double the voltage swing so worth trying if you can get a lead for your headphones.

OK thanks. The output is a single female mini XLR... right?

The output on the MDAC2 rear panel is 5 Pole MALE - I can supply the mating Female MiniXLR with the unit.

What is estimated price for TDAC including development costs?

"Around" GBP1200 to GBP1500 depending upon final Chassis cost.

Target price for the the HQ Chassis with internal PSU is GBP200 to GBP250, maybe less its still early days - I think its far to say closer to GBP200 then 250 (as the slave units don't have a complex front panel).

and from your PFM Signature: "MDAC2Next Gen PCB":
L2 MDAC2= £400 ( develop.) + £300 pcb's
L3 MDAC (L2 + ADC) = £500 ( develop.) + £350 pcb's

Fred,

The Analogue Board for the MDAC2 will start production towards the end of Q1 2015... production cycle will take a month or 2 depending on components etc.

The TDAC will have the same feature set as the MDAC2 - only with the Tube stage.

The Full size chassis will basically be the same for MDAC2 / TDAC, although different rear panels.

If I summarize the prices:
MDAC2 L2: approx. 950 GPB PCB's, HQ Chassis with internal PSU
MDAC2 L3: approx. 1100 GPB PCB's, HQ Chassis with internal PSU
TDAC: approx. 1400 GPB PCB's, HQ Chassis with internal PSU
is this L2 or L3?
the time frame between MDAC2 and TDAC is approx, 1 year.

Am I correct?

regards
f.s.

The MDAC is a far higher quality design - the MPWR is just a second rate effort to capitalise on the MDAC's success.

I heavily modified a unit - which improve the performance, but it was a significant effort.

Both Renata and I miss the little amp because while it lacked ultimate resolution it was fun to listen too :)

I cancelled my £349 order, and got the new one at £299.

I'll use that for now, and hopefully it can be a donor for whatever you can squeeze into the chassis in a year or two John! Will be out of warranty, so that will be good for modifying. I need my 8000S back in another room.

From horror to relief!

Got back from a weekend away Sunday night & turned on my stereo that's on RF mains switches. The amp takes about 10" to initialise then normally is ready - it went into an error mode. My M-DAC came up with "No Comms" message. Powered them both down then back up again - same.

Tried again the next day - the amp powered up as normal but my dac still had the same error. Pulled my entire system apart & checked all connections. Pushed in the rotary encoder then powered up once more - voltage ~16V & firmware versions shown - far more promising. Powered the dac up once more - normal operation. My MAC Mini, BluRay player, ATV & plasma all unaffected. Whole system seems to work again.

If this was caused by a mains surge or lightening it was along the PE as they were isolated from L & N. Very strange.

Sadly there would be no space for 2 PCB's + internal PSU, each MDAC2 PCB is 212mm wide (total 424mm) and the chassis is 430mm wide externally - what a shame!

Maybe with a bit of creative effort I could squeeze the 2 PCB's side by side (by adding internal grooves to slide the PCB's in the side panels as the MDAC chassis) - but then where to put the PSU - maybe in the space between the PCB and front panel...... I'll not say no... but lets see

I think I rather prefer the modularity and comparatively compact nature of 2 channels at a time

6 channels (or 2 x 3 channels) feels like a 'sweet spot' for DSP on 2x 3 way speakers

...a 1 channel DAC would possibly be interesting - allowing the addition of a single channel at a time - eg. odd number of drivers in a speaker; or adding a subwoofer channel (or a hafler rear channel)

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-CDT.aspx?lang=En

'Audiolab would like to thank PFM forum and JW for helping some Chinese people with product ideas'

AH_MCDT3.jpg

chinglish%20thank%20you%20for%20your%20coming%20banner.jpg

L2 MDAC2 £400 (develop.) + Approx £300 pcb's + Shipping

L3 MDAC (L2 + ADC) = £500 Development costs + Approx £350 pcb's + Shipping.

I don't want to discuss price with full size chassis as its too premature and only complicates matters too much, my only priority at this time is MDAC2 / MDAC2 Slave & the VFET amps, everything else is just discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back