advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per email John put me down for the TDAC (if there's space in the list) :D

I've saved enough from refusing to buy some Atlas Asimi reference speaker cables at 2.5K , from the dealer who sold me the Summits !!!.
They were unused trade ins. I think they were only a couple of meters in length as well :-/

He recommended that the speakers deserve cables around the 2K mark.

Think I'll try to home dem and see ....

Cables won't make the slightest difference, dealers!
Keith.

Slightest ?? Well lets not start that debate here.
I'm firmly in the camp of "suck it and see".
But I'm pretty confident that I could tell a difference between QED 79 strand to Atlas Hyper and Nordost Blue Heaven.

Anyway I may ask for suggestions out in the forum.:rolleyes:

Chris,

I don't know what I've been smoking, but I have enough VFETs available to build 14 pairs with more on there way :)

I don't understand how I miscounted, but its a pleasant surprise to discover I have more VFETs then I original thought.

The only "possible" major change to the project is that I might build the Amps into there own custom solid CNC Milled aluminium chassis rather then salvaging 8200MBs - I have a sample chassis being shipped from China.

For the following reasons:-

1. Following the design decision to go for a symmetrical bridged design, I need double the number of output devices / VFETS - and thus ideally a larger Heat Sink / Chassis - the new Mono Block chassis will also better match the TDAC / and later the MDAC2 HQ chassis.

2. The quality of the 8200MB chassis does not do justice to such a statement design - while the solid milled Chassis are costly, they are of far higher quality and will have the Lakewest / VFET laser milled Logo etc.

I'll make the final decision once I receive the sample Chassis - and I also need to have approval from the other VFET "members" that this proposed change is OK.

There will be no extra cost - I'll recoup the difference by reselling the 8200MB donor units I've already bought, its a big change but one that would be for the better.

As I say, I first have to confirm the quality of the new chassis (and have approval from the other members) - however the sample MDAC slave / TDAC chassis from the same vendor looks very promising.

If the sample is not up to Spec. then I'll stay with the original 8200MB which would save me trying to off load the 8200MB donor units I've already bought for the project! (but I prefer the new Chassis for the above reasons).
Hi John,

I like your idea of the new chasis for the VFET amps with your Logo and the status display on the front plate.

Am I still in time for a pair of VFET amps ?

I haven't been following the thread till lately.
I ordered an L3 MDAC2 (silver). Can you pls tell me whether I've paid the required amount to date ?

Thanks.
Brian

Custom VFET chassis gets my vote John. Like you say, the design deserves it.

John, I totally trust your judgment on this... much more than I would trust my own!

Were you not planing to salvage some other components from the 8000MBs though ?

Also, does this mean there will be an opportunity to change my mind about black or silver?

Hi fi on random play and War on Drugs' Under the pressure has just come on. How good is this :)
I need to get those tickets Paul.

PS. And it's gin o'clock!

John,
if there is a chance to join the vfet mono amp party, I'd like to have a pair. Saved some money for silly snobby things you can hardly explain anyone...

jansen

Chris,

I don't know what I've been smoking, but I have enough VFETs available to build 14 pairs with more on there way :)

I don't understand how I miscounted, but its a pleasant surprise to discover I have more VFETs then I original thought.

The only "possible" major change to the project is that I might build the Amps into there own custom solid CNC Milled aluminium chassis rather then salvaging 8200MBs - I have a sample chassis being shipped from China.

For the following reasons:-

1. Following the design decision to go for a symmetrical bridged design, I need double the number of output devices / VFETS - and thus ideally a larger Heat Sink / Chassis - the new Mono Block chassis will also better match the TDAC / and later the MDAC2 HQ chassis.

2. The quality of the 8200MB chassis does not do justice to such a statement design - while the solid milled Chassis are costly, they are of far higher quality and will have the Lakewest / VFET laser milled Logo etc.

I'll make the final decision once I receive the sample Chassis - and I also need to have approval from the other VFET "members" that this proposed change is OK.

There will be no extra cost - I'll recoup the difference by reselling the 8200MB donor units I've already bought, its a big change but one that would be for the better.

As I say, I first have to confirm the quality of the new chassis (and have approval from the other members) - however the sample MDAC slave / TDAC chassis from the same vendor looks very promising.

If the sample is not up to Spec. then I'll stay with the original 8200MB which would save me trying to off load the 8200MB donor units I've already bought for the project! (but I prefer the new Chassis for the above reasons).

Is there a chance of adding me to the VFET amp list? I am out in the back of beyond in Vancouver surrounded only by Bryston and Classe amps, The VFET's sound like just the job for my ML Summit's

For anyone who's interested - this is a HDMI audio extractor that definitely works at 192KHz on the COAX. Alot (I've tried a few) do not do this. This is also cheap too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CE-LINK-HDMI-2CH-5-1CH-Audio-Extractor-HDMI-video-audio-extractor-SPDIF-Stereo-/231408744806?

pageimage-HDMI%20audio%20ext_500.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back