advertisement

The Great Obesity Epidemic

However it should also be remembered there is an element of subjective interpretation to the diagnosis , it is diagnosed pursuant of a dialogue between the diagnoser and diagnosee.

Dear oh dear, diagnosee is not a real word, like a lot of what you write, it is just something made up by you.

I can predict your reply, before you even write it.

The worrying trend is that the prevalence of overweight and obesity is increasing in almost every country on Earth.

Overweight and obesity have become so common that in some countries they've surpassed infectious disease as the most significant causes of poor health. People with high BMI are more likely to have coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, some cancers, diabetes, osteoarthritis and gout, sleep apnea,...

I'm not labelling or stereotyping, but anyone who thinks this isn't a growing health problem with all sort of associated costs — personal and familial, public and private — is in denial.

Joe

Dear oh dear, diagnosee is not a real word, like a lot of what you write, it is just something made up by you.

I can predict your reply, before you even write it.

I know , but you knew what i meant as you have stated , so i am left wondering what the purpose of your post is .

if you have taken umbrage because your obesity as made you depressed or visa versa , then I sincerely apologise .

I know , but you knew what i meant as you have stated , so i am left wondering what the purpose of your post is .

if you have taken umbrage because your obesity as made you depressed or visa versa , then I sincerely apologise .

I knew what you were trying to say, but my 'this is meaningless claptrap meter' was going off the scale. However, I did not predict an apology, even when the meter went off the scale for the second time.

Just for the record no one would ever say I was overweight, ( I work out 4 times a week and also run). I always liked Bill Shankly's quip about wanting to be the fittest man ever who died from old age when asked why he trained so hard with the teams he coached.

It should be remembered that Depression is a diagnosed condition it must be diagnosed by your doctor in accordance with internationally agreed criteria .
That doesn't make it real.

And in practice a GP will prescribe anti-depressants on the basis of very superficial examination.

One time I went in with back pain* and came away with diazepam. They're still in their packet...

Paul

How about when one chooses to read a thread titled obesity & find it is taken over by you talking nonsense about depression, something you obviously know nothing about having not studied the subject, there are many articles claiming all sorts on this matter as there are with hifi subjects which get the "foo" treatment, unless you have suffered this illness or have a medical degree then why don't you shut up & go away or talk about the matter in hand, the ignorance & sheer lack of understanding is astonishing & I would certainly rather have a depressed mind than a sociopathic state.

You clearly have a problem. I'm sorry about that.

Being rude to other people however is unlikely to make you better.

You know nothing about me. Once again. Have you read the article and what makes you think psychiatry is a science?

Here's a scenario for you. If you go into your GP with a fever, he can carry out a number of accepted tests to ascertain the cause of that fever and to cure you.

If you go to a psychiatrist complaining of feeling suicidal they have no blood tests. No glucose tests. No thermometer. They have in short no real idea what might be the cause from a clinical POV. Now if they take the time to talk to you then they might get an idea of the cause but then they have no idea on what might rid you of the affliction.

What they will do is prescribe an expensive unproven drug in the hope that you will respond psychologically. If you don't they will try another. Then another and another. Maybe a little cocktail. All of which costs the NHS a fortune and none of it is proven to work better than a placebo in the eyes of many esteemed scientists around the world.

So where exactly is the science that tells us that one of us is feeling down or anxious because of a lack of norepinephrine in the presynaptic cleft?

I'd be happy to drop this by the way if you would stop posting offensive statements claiming those (including many in the science community) who disagree with you are "clueless and ignorant". Your call.

That doesn't make it real.

And in practice a GP will prescribe anti-depressants on the basis of very superficial examination.

The ease of which GPs prescribe anti-depressants is truly worrying. Do they get paid every time they sign a patient up? I have no idea how it all works between drug companies and GP surgeries.

The global market is worth around £18 billion per annum and there's been a five fold increase in sales. Not bad business if you can get it.

As an aside, I was at OCDEM today - the Oxford Centre for Diebetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism. The pioneering centre at the Churchill.

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony that the only place in the building to get food or drink was a vending machine filled with Mars Bars, Twix, Marathon, Doughnuts and soft drinks such as Oasis and Coca Cola.

Waited a little while before contributing. Seems like some people have very fixed and sincerely held attitudes here. My wife and I have had a troubling couple of years (at least) for various family and business reasons.

Last January she went to our GP and poured her heart out. Not a 'superficial' examination by any means. She was prescribed a course of drugs. In a few months she had noticeably improved and was able to function fantastically at work and home.

Meanwhile on the inside I've always been an unsure miserable git! I was lethargic, worried all the time, shaking, drinking too much even though I knew at heart we had a great family and prospects. Go to the doctor she said. And I did - and was the best thing I have done in the last 30 years. Prescribed drugs (generic not 'expensive' I assume). Last Christmas I was feeling very dark thoughts. This Christmas I have nothing but hope and optimism for myself and family.

We are all different. Have compassion. If you think depression does not really exist - fine. I don't care. I know I am getting better and looking forward to the rest of my life.

Imosdad.

I'm delighted to hear you are feeling so much better.

I didn't mean to come across as saying that people cannot be depressed. My point was that there may well have been a collective marketing initiative amongst the pharmaceutical companies that has persuaded many people that the answer is found in a tablet that many scientists claim is little more than a placebo.

If it is a placebo, but by taking the placebo one is helped through difficult times then that's good. It's just for me the issue of the cost to the health authorities that potentially could be avoided - much the same as in the case of modern day obesity.

To be clear though, I am very happy indeed that things are a lot better for you this Christmas.

Amazing how quickly a thread about fat people morphed into a thread about people with mental health problems. Can we infer from this that fat people are fat because they have mental health problems, or is that a step too far?

Amazing how quickly a thread about fat people morphed into a thread about people with mental health problems. Can we infer from this that fat people are fat because they have mental health problems, or is that a step too far?

I think there is a psychological aspect to over-eating in many cases.

advertisement

Back