advertisement

The Great Obesity Epidemic

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
What the hell is going on? When I was at primary school (late 50s) there was one lad in the class overweight. At secondary there was another, maybe borderline obese, in my class. Today I read this

Wales has the highest proportion of overweight or obese children in the UK, a new study has found.

Almost one in four children born between 2000 and 2002 who were studied by the Institute of Education, London, were obese by age 11.

A further 17% were overweight, taking the combined total to 40.5% - higher than all other UK regions.

Given the way being overweight creeps up on people during there lifetimes, will we soon reach the stage where obese people make up the majority of the population?

Additionally,

the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence is changing its guidelines on who should be offered weight loss surgery, suggesting two million obese people in the UK getting gastric band or bypass operations.
at £5,999 for a bypass and £2,588 to have a band inserted.

The cost of this treatment, would it appears, bankrupt the NHS. It is hard to believe that we can do this to ourselves.

Many expensive health problems these days seem to be self inflicted, whether it's obesity or any number of newly found psychiatric conditions like depression.

The sugar industry is behind one. The Pharmaceutical industry behind the other. Profit is everything in the 21st century.

Facebook has no obligation whatsoever to report threats of violence to interested parties. It does however feel compelled to report visits to the Waitrose On Line site to anyone who's prepared to pay them for the information.

A perfect illustration of the power of commerce over morality. Wonderful new world we live in.

.......another thread about people eating too much. Just how many different ways can you cut the cake?

Once again I am struggling to envisage what it is this stats are telling us , they give the impression that wales is full of porkies waddling around eating cakes .

And once again I consider this to be a disingenuous use of statistics .

the average weight for an 11 year old boy is 5 stone 7 pounds and he will be 55 inches . If you take your son to the doctor with these stats he will be fine .

If he goes to 5 stone 12 pounds he wil be considered overweight , according to the nhs bmi calculator he will be in the 92 percentile .

if he puts on a stone a weight 6 stone 7 pounds this will make him very overweight and put in the 98th per centile .

however , to be classified as obese ie 30% bmi he would have to weigh 9 stone .

I will eat my PT at scalfold hall for charity if 25% of 11 year olds in wales weigh 9 stone or over .

As always i remain confused by what i am told .

Many expensive health problems these days seem to be self inflicted, whether it's obesity or any number of newly found psychiatric conditions like depression.

The sugar industry is behind one. The Pharmaceutical industry behind the other. Profit is everything in the 21st century.

Facebook has no obligation whatsoever to report threats of violence to interested parties. It does however feel compelled to report visits to the Waitrose On Line site to anyone who's prepared to pay them for the information.

A perfect illustration of the power of commerce over morality. Wonderful new world we live in.
To suggest depression is self inflicted is disgraceful, this is a horrible disease that is not bought on by the sufferer, it is a chemical imbalance & nothing to do with feeling a little low or fed up, what a sweeping statement & typical of the ignorance shown towards this disease.

To suggest depression is self inflicted is disgraceful, this is a horrible disease that is not bought on by the sufferer, it is a chemical imbalance & nothing to do with feeling a little low or fed up, what a sweeping statement & typical of the ignorance shown towards this disease.

Whilst you may not agree with Merlin , indeed I never do , the chemical imbalance theory of depression is not an accepted orthodoxy and if it plays a part , then that part must necessarily be influenced by a persons socio-economic and cultural circumstances and who they are as a human being .

mental illness is not a disease like cancer or flu , it as cognitive aspect to it .

Whilst you may not agree with Merlin , indeed I never do , the chemical imbalance theory of depression is not an accepted orthodoxy and if it plays a part , then that part must necessarily be influenced by a persons socio-economic and cultural circumstances .

mental illness is not like the a virus , it as cognitive aspect to it .
This thread is in very poor taste, I have suffered with this illness for most of my adult life so I think I know a thing or 2 regarding the causes of depression, the thread has been reported to the administrator.

This thread is in very poor taste, I have suffered with this illness for most of my adult life so I think I know a thing or 2 regarding the causes of depression, the thread has been reported to the administrator.

The thread is about obesity not depression ? :confused:

+1.

And it is not 'recently discovered'. It has existed forever under various descriptions.

Mull

Whilst you may not agree with Merlin , indeed I never do , the chemical imbalance theory of depression is not an accepted orthodoxy and if it plays a part , then that part must necessarily be influenced by a persons socio-economic and cultural circumstances and who they are as a human being .

mental illness is not a disease like cancer or flu , it (h)as cognitive aspect to it .

It does indeed, as does the totally irrational anxiety which has plagued me on and off for years. Doesn't make it any less debilitating or unpleasant though.

Agreed, but Merlin's seemingly throwaway and highly ignorant comment was bound to induce a backlash.

Maybe he'd like to withdraw it?

Mull
This would be best as I am very angry about such a statement about an illness that has prevented me living a normal life for 30 years, it should be withdrawn if there is any morality left on this site.

Depression is not a newly found psychiatric condition. Your statement about it is complete nonsense and an insult to people with mental health problems.

Jack

<moderation>

May I request folk show a little empathy and basic politeness when discussing this topic - it must be possible to navigate the subject without causing offence to anyone.

Depression is not a newly found psychiatric condition. Your statement about it is complete BS and an insult to people with mental health problems.

Jack

Quite right.
Not newly discovered but perhaps newly discovered, talked about and examined by and in the popular media.
Radio 4 "All in the mind" lead by Claudia Hammond has been IMHO doing a first rate job of dispelling myths and replacing fiction with fact for quite sometime http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9

Medical definition of obesity: anybody with a BMI over 30 (around 15 stone for a 5'9" adult)

Media definition of obesity: huge great whale-like obscenities who haven't seen their tackle since childhood and have to be forklifted into ambulances through a hole in the front wall of the house.

Alternative media definition of obesity (if it suits the story): anybody technically 'overweight' ie with a BMI over 25.

Going by my BMI then technically I'm obese, although I'm don't think many would think that I was as I don't have a huge waistline (I'm a 36") and I run 5k or more at least 3 times a week.

advertisement

Back