advertisement

Getting back into HIFI

Marantz Melody is a low cost solution, amp, streams, plays files from usb pen drive and there is a version with CD player, I use the basic model which can be had for around £200 with DVD player for discs.

Doesn't look like it has a pre out which neilo7 would need to go into his actives - interesting little unit tho!

EDIT: The higher spec Marantz M-CR610 does tho.

Actives... get active speakers AVI DM5's, Dynaudio, Genelec... Once you've heard the clarity of active speakers its hard to go back to passives!
You've not listened to Harbeth nor Sonus Faber, then:)

I had some actives, a Swedish brand. Never, never again. Hated all the wires, the artificially boosted bass and overemphasized treble, and the sheer inflexibility of the things. OK if an iThing to speaker is all you want, anything else and you'll need a proper preamp, so you may as well get an integrated and go down the more flexible route.

OK, rant over, and apologies for going off topic.

Consider getting yourself something with Spotify connect installed while you are looking for something new. Something not mentioned here is the single box solution from Yamaha called the R-N500.

Or find another streamer as a source and squeeze in an additional small box from Arcam called the irDAC. The sound from this DAC is excellent in a very small package (small enough to squeeze in that extra box unnoticed)

You've not listened to Harbeth nor Sonus Faber, then:)

I had some actives, a Swedish brand. Never, never again. Hated all the wires, the artificially boosted bass and overemphasized treble, and the sheer inflexibility of the things. OK if an iThing to speaker is all you want, anything else and you'll need a proper preamp, so you may as well get an integrated and go down the more flexible route.

OK, rant over, and apologies for going off topic.

Yup had Sonus Faber, naim, dynaudio, rega... Not looked back since going active... Each to their own tho I guess!

I'm thinking of getting some new kit after a two year break. I have been using my laptop with all my CD's ripped and quite a few FLAC albums. This has been fed into a pair of Monitor Audio WS100 speakers and I am more than happy with this set up. I think no doubt it could be improved with new speakers. I'm not going to get a CD player as I am happy with using the laptop as a source with the idea being to stream to something of higher quality. I also have a NAS drive as backup. At the minute I'm looking at the Naim Unitiqute as a small solution. That along with a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers and I'm sure i'll be happier. Is the Qute what I'm looking for or can I get better for my money? Spend would be £1k. Any advice would be welcome.
Check out the AVI DM5 active speakers (£700) and a suitable DAC/pre-amp (under £300).

I have a pair and they sound incredible.

I've already purchased my active speakers (KEF x300a wireless version). If they work well with the laptop then that's fine as they have a decent DAC in them. Although I'm still looking for a Streamer/network player that will sit hidden away and that can be controlled via phone/tablet. Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them all.

I've already purchased my active speakers (KEF x300a wireless version). If they work well with the laptop then that's fine as they have a decent DAC in them. Although I'm still looking for a Streamer/network player that will sit hidden away and that can be controlled via phone/tablet. Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them all.

Mac mini, with J River and JRemote for iPad

This is the first time I have ever heard Naim described as dull and boring.

Many things have been said over the years but that just begs belief.

And it's wrong.

Second time in a row - dull & boring

I found Naim to sound like you're sitting in a pub with a big sub under the seats somewhere and a few tiny satellite speakers dotted round the ceiling

Or on higher volumes a night club sound

My mom likes her Niam all in one little 'big sounding' neat box in the corner

Massively overpriced and totally unmusical

Chaps

Naim started out as a one man band and rapidly rose to become Britains most dominant hifi manufacturer.

The reason why it is so popular is that it effortlessly communicates music like no other brand.

It has a legion of devoted followers for one simple reason, there is nothing else that can hold a candle to it.

If you prefer something else, then fair enough but most audiophiles stick with Naim.

I have two systems because it sounds good, is totally reliable, it has a brilliant after sales service, is built like a tank and goes on and on day after day.

The bodging fraternity are the only downside, you have to make sure you have got a pure and unsullied piece of kit and not something that some old soldering iron monkey has got his hands on and murdered the sound.

Regards

Mick

This brings cheer to a dull day

'effortlessly communicates music like no other brand.'

'most audiophiles stick with Naim.'

Oh dear

Nelio ... what was up with the Kefs? Not enough oomph?

Not so much a lack of oomph more a massive hassle setting it all up.
Plugs and wires everywhere. Not what I had in mind. So going to settle for a one box and a pair of passive speakers.

Not so much a lack of oomph more a massive hassle setting it all up.
Plugs and wires everywhere. Not what I had in mind. So going to settle for a one box and a pair of passive speakers.

Fair enough... I find my actives mean i have less boxes, but i guess an all in one amp / pre / streamer then speaker wire to speakers is pretty simple too! What all in one are you going for?

advertisement

Back