advertisement

£500 streaming system

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
Been asked by a family member to help with a lounge based streaming system, something more than an ipod dock.

I’m thinking suggesting something based around Sonos and a Spotify account.

Budget is £500

Maybe sonos Connect amp and a pair of £100 speakers from Richer Sounds?

or

A pair of Sonos Play 3?

I think speakers will need to be against wall and no wires on view.

There are many alternatives out there. Do some research. If you make an appointment any hifi shop can take you through a range of equipment.Sonos would be a good no fuss start but there are some equally viable alternatives from Cambridge audio, Marantz etc than will be worth listening to.Some steamers have built in amps or you may want to listen to active speakers. There's also second hand for added value. If you're into computer audio, an old laptop could be converted to a Vortexbox player or you could convert a raspberry I into a player and connect it to an amp and speakers. I suggest you start with Richer Sounds and do a bit of listening.

For example, there's a Denon streamer with airplay from Richer. Will be a good bet. You then have £300 for an amp and speakers etc. You'll get a decent set up for that.

Are a pair of 1s going to fill a lounge with sound? - if they can great

They look like something for the kitchen or a bedroom, not seen these in the flesh or heard them but they look very dinky?

I had a stereo pair of Play 1's in my 15' 10" x 12' 6" lounge and they were very impressive.

I bought them when they first came out and even a few naysayers in the original thread I started confessed to being very impressed after they themselves heard them in the flesh.

Finding this thread, I though the OP was having a laugh so decided to pair up some Play 1's and have a serious listen.

They are currently sitting onto of my stand mounts and they are so good you forget you are listening to a tiny pair of speakers. The only time they reveal themselves is when the kids want pop music on which has "fake bass". You know the sort of booming which no known instrument makes at very low levels.

If you ever get the opportunity to have a listen its well worth it.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149443

Been asked by a family member to help with a lounge based streaming system, something more than an ipod dock.

Does the family member already have aforementioned iPod (Touch)? If so I'd go for an Airport Express at about 80 quid and a pair of £420 active monitors.

Does the family member already have aforementioned iPod (Touch)? If so I'd go for an Airport Express at about 80 quid and a pair of £420 active monitors.

Not sure, we are going to meet up for a natter and a beer over the coming weeks - I expect he has an iPad and an iPod of some description (possibly not a Touch).

Are a pair of 1s going to fill a lounge with sound? - if they can great

They look like something for the kitchen or a bedroom, not seen these in the flesh or heard them but they look very dinky?
Used within their volume limits they are excellent value for money. Just don't expect really loud levels.

I have just bought a sonos play 1, it's fab and is currently in the kitchen. It's not hifi but sounds great, I've tried the streaming route twice before now and always give up because it's too much off a faff. This, however, just works.

Not sure, we are going to meet up for a natter and a beer over the coming weeks - I expect he has an iPad and an iPod of some description (possibly not a Touch).

iPad is even better. The size storage doesn't matter, it just needs to run Spotify / act as a user interface and to stream the data to the Airport Express, and it is ideal in this role. If he has an iPad (or iPhone, iPod Touch) it's pointless paying money to achieve the same functionality with other kit, and arguably a lot less well. The cash could be sunk into the rest of the system, and going pro-audio active makes a lot of sense there.

iPad is even better. The size storage doesn't matter, it just needs to run Spotify / act as a user interface and to stream the data to the Airport Express, and it is ideal in this role. If he has an iPad (or iPhone, iPod Touch) it's pointless paying money to achieve the same functionality with other kit, and arguably a lot less well. The cash could be sunk into the rest of the system, and going pro-audio active makes a lot of sense there.

Thanks Tony, are you aware of any speakers that might fit the bill (I'm not!)

Thanks Tony, are you aware of any speakers that might fit the bill (I'm not!)

I'd checkout the local music shops, e.g. Dawsons in Manchester have a fair few active monitors set up. Price-wise this is the entry level of studio nearfield monitors, but there are still quite a few examples available from Genelec, KRK, Mackie, Yamaha, M-Audio etc. It's a very competitive area and there's a lot of discounting too so shop around. I'd be amazed if you could beat the sound for the same cash with conventional hi-fi kit bought new, though going second hand would give better odds.

PS I'm assuming you only want digital streaming as mentioned in the OP and served up via an Airport Express. If the user also wants other inputs (e.g. TV sound, CD or even vinyl) then a slightly more complex system is required, i.e. you'd need some form of preamp too.

advertisement

Back