advertisement

Getting back into HIFI

neilo7

One day I'll stop upgrading
I'm thinking of getting some new kit after a two year break. I have been using my laptop with all my CD's ripped and quite a few FLAC albums. This has been fed into a pair of Monitor Audio WS100 speakers and I am more than happy with this set up. I think no doubt it could be improved with new speakers. I'm not going to get a CD player as I am happy with using the laptop as a source with the idea being to stream to something of higher quality. I also have a NAS drive as backup. At the minute I'm looking at the Naim Unitiqute as a small solution. That along with a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers and I'm sure i'll be happier. Is the Qute what I'm looking for or can I get better for my money? Spend would be £1k. Any advice would be welcome.

If you want to use your laptop as a source, why are you looking for a streamer? A good DAC and a pair of active speakers would be your best bet.
If you do want a streamer connected to your NAS and by pass your laptop, get a Squeezebox touch or a Cambridge Audio streamer and a pair of actives.

I'm not 100% sure what I need. I just want one box in the living room that I can control my music from. The less wiring involved the better, that's one of my conditions for being allowed a system again

You've done a comparison have you, super?

I'd stick with Naim. Apart from their sound, their resale value will be a lot better.

I've not compared them side by side, but I've heard them both. As to the Naim, I wouldn't give you the fluff from my pocket for it, but I liked the Cocktail Audio, which was fun and enjoyable to listen to, unlike the naim which was just boring and dull. I don't think I need to have done a back-to-back blind test to reach the conclusion I did, in order to justify my remarks.

No fighting lads �� I mentioned the Naim because I had a lot of their gear in the past and liked it. Read up of the Cocktail stuff and a few others like Cyrus and Linn. Might try out the squeeze box, like I said I'm limited to one box plus small speakers in the living room area.

I have a Squeezebox as the streamer in my main system into a Naim DAC. I'm very fond if it, you can stream to it from your Laptop or NAS.

I have a Qute as a second system in the TV room. It's really a wonderful all in one solution. Listen to radio, have your TV sound running through to it and stream all your music to it. If you can get CAT 5 to it or it's very near your router for wireless, your set up with minimum wires. In your situation I think the UniQute is what you require.

SJB

I think the qute is a nice product, the Linn majik DSM is excellent too, okay so you might not necessarily need the streamer function from these boxes but it's sure nice to have. It means that you can have the computer or NAS hidden out the way and control everything from a phone or tablet, they are also decent amps and DACs in their own right.

This is the first time I have ever heard Naim described as dull and boring.

Many things have been said over the years but that just begs belief.

And it's wrong.

Put all your music on the NAS and get the Qute. Laptops tend to look and feel out of place in a living room.

I'm not 100% sure what I need. I just want one box in the living room that I can control my music from. The less wiring involved the better, that's one of my conditions for being allowed a system again

Very magnanimous, I'm sure.

It seems I am mistaken about finding the Naim to be boring and dull. You should buy one. Ignore me.

Actually, you must buy one. It is a rite of passage and compulsory. Please buy one, then I can atone for my wrong-headedness in describing it as dull and boring. Then you will be able to enjoy the Naim upgrading experience, a constant quest for the sound that you know you are entitled to, but somehow never seem to achieve.

On the other hand, you could try something else. What's the worst that could happen?

Perhaps that was a little over-argumentative. In my defence, I object strongly to something clearly being expressed as my personal opinion, being summarily dismissed as 'wrong'.

Suffice to say, I heard the Naim at a show (forget which) in an all-Naim system and was spectacularly underwhelmed. Now, whether it was the Unitiqute or the rest of the system, or the whole shooting match is a moot point. I heard the Cocktail Audio streamer in a system I like, and it was fun. I have my doubts that the Naim would be as much fun in the same system.

The Naim upgrading road is an endless journey for many. It can also be a progression with many sidetracks and byways. For me ‘upgrading’ was followed by rapid backtracking until the sound was ‘good enough’ and the overall system balance was restored to being 'just right' with little Shahinians.

It is simply nonsense to say that one never achieves the ‘right’ sound.

PS. The CDX clearly has the edge.

:)

advertisement

Back