advertisement

2014 Formula 1 Season Thread (part II)

IanW, I'm not sure whether Lewis is 'having a bad run of reliability' as you describe it, but he was certainly fortunate to escape injury from his last two 'poor reliability' issues.

I suppose that by starting from the pit lane, Hamilton's side of the team has many more options as to tyre stops.

It is ironic in that Hungary is generally accepted to be Hamilton's fiefdom. Might still go that way...

It certainly makes for an enjoyable watch with Lewis starting at the back of the field.
I am more inclined to believe Ian's explanations that the more the envelope is pushed the more likely it is to break rather than any of the conspiracy theories currently doing the rounds.

So here's looking forward to a good race with plenty of overtaking.

A fuel leak triggered the fire at the beginning of the session.

That's just shoddy and there can be no excuse based around the components being pushed. If parts likes hoses are suspected of being close to their "life cycle" then surely given the problems of the season MB would consider replacing them prior to an important qualifying session?

And yes you do detect an air of ire in my posts this weekend. Hamilton is peerless around the Hungaroring and once again he has been denied the opportunity to show it. I'll be out on the bike instead of in front of the TV - as I said I can only hope that Rosberg's car suffers some misfortune but this is unlikely because he drives it with kid gloves in the absence of any true competition.

The last couple of times he's had to race he's had mechanical issues that have prevented his winning. Is it a case of the Mercedes simply not being capable of being raced on a Sunday at the pace two healthy cars would dictate?

Yes he's been quite unlucky hasn't he? In the event of no holds barred racing in the same (reliable) car to see who is actually the fastest driver, I do think Hamilton would win quite easily.

It will be tedious to see one car, untroubled by competition, coast it.

A fuel leak triggered the fire at the beginning of the session.

That's just shoddy and there can be no excuse based around the components being pushed. If parts likes hoses are suspected of being close to their "life cycle" then surely given the problems of the season MB would consider replacing them prior to an important qualifying session?

And yes you do detect an air of ire in my posts this weekend. Hamilton is peerless around the Hungaroring and once again he has been denied the opportunity to show it. I'll be out on the bike instead of in front of the TV - as I said I can only hope that Rosberg's car suffers some misfortune but this is unlikely because he drives it with kid gloves in the absence of any true competition.

The last couple of times he's had to race he's had mechanical issues that have prevented his winning. Is it a case of the Mercedes simply not being capable of being raced on a Sunday at the pace two healthy cars would dictate?

You have little evidence to blame the engineers. You have no idea what part of the system leaked. It could well be a union on a pipe/hose that wasn't even built by mercedes. Things break and things go wrong.

I don't think you would suggest that Redbull are deliberately messing about with the other german's car?

Meanwhile back in Brackley, the pressure continues to sort out the poor reliability shown so far.

It's noticeable that now that Toto has his arm in a sling, the sabotage has got a little more crude ...

He'll just be chucking dynamite at No 44 soon ...

Hi Mike,

There is little else I can add. Everyone at the team is unhappy with the problems that are affecting Lewis and are working hard to resolve them, just as they would if they were affecting Nico. The teams want to finish 1-2 at each race, with no desire or requirement that any one driver finishes in front of the other.

Fortunately the weather at the Hangaroring will result in Lewis having a better chance to win than if it was dry and hot.

By all the first 3.

Rosberg lost it by not being able to race with Vergne. Quick but a little bit too much 'by the numbers' to be a deserving World Champion.

And WTF were Mercedes doing telling Hamilton to move over for Rosberg? Good job Hamilton ignored them.

Nico certainly lost it by not getting past Vergne earlier in the race.

As to Mercedes telling Lewis to let Nico past, from a team perspective it was the right thing to do. Nico would then have finished in front of Alonso and the team would have gained more points overall for the constructors championship (which = income for the team). In this case, because the car is so quick, it didn't matter (Merc has run away with the constructors this year), so Lewis did the right thing to help him win the drivers championship.

As to Mercedes telling Lewis to let Nico past, from a team perspective it was the right thing to do. Nico would then have finished in front of Alonso and the team would have gained more points overall for the constructors championship (which = income for the team). In this case, because the car is so quick, it didn't matter (Merc has run away with the constructors this year), so Lewis did the right thing to help him win the drivers championship.

That's interesting. Once they had committed Lewis to 'end of race' I thought it was odd to ask him to lose a couple of seconds on what was obviously by then a tight finish. Lewis was quite right to ignore them. I think if they are honest it was a bit of 'on the hoof' thinking because bringing Nico in at that time instead of trying to get him past Lewis would have got him up there before the finish and left Lewis unconcerned by his team mate at that crucial stage.

Just watched the highlights. Amazing drive by Hamilton - third from starting from the pit lane and driving into the wall on the first lap!

Agreed. Well done to Hamilton. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the team and drivers get to discuss the 'let Nico through call' as Hamilton still seemed surprised after the race.

Ian. Who made the call on not going with the option like Alonso did? Hamilton seemed to suggest in the post race that he felt it was a quicker proposition. Was it not a possibility because of wear rates seen on Friday regardless of the very different conditions experienced today?

Hamilton was lucky twice by virtue of the safety car - otherwise he would have been very low down.

advertisement

Back