advertisement

Sonos Play 1 speakers

G

Guest432

Bought two of these just before xmas with plans to use one in the kitchen and one in my home office. I set them up as a stereo pair in the lounge and was blown away by the quality of the sound they produce when used seperately for L+R channels.

Have always been a fan of sonos and pretty much owned a ZP80/90/connect ever since they came out but this is another league for something so small.

Am now seriously considering selling my rega dac/brio/cdp and speakers and just using these with my TT connected to the line in on the connect.

Interesting ... I'm currently using a single Play 1 in the study, sitting on a desktop for nearfield listening. I'm not sure about it yet in this environment, wondered if a stereo pair would make a significant improvement. What sort of size is your lounge? Do you sit relatively close when listening?

I'm also a recent convert to the Connect - it's been a liberating experience!

They must be good to lead to that consideration. A friend of mine who works in the electronics dept of John Lewis was singing their praises recently, clearly the Sonos guys continue to improve things.

The difference between a single and stereo pair is absolutely astounding.

My lounge is about 12ft x 15ft and I sit about 8ft from them and they are about 7ft apart.

Am currently listening to Joe Strummer and the mescaleros and I would describe it as extremely musical with extreme foot tapping abilities.

I was a bit wary to start as I initially think anything that sounds different may be better but I've been using them for about 10 days and even took them to my parents for xmas where they have a huge 30ft x 20ft lounge and they still managed to fill that space with good sound (most of it had to be Sinatra to appease the mother but still sounded good)

I have found my single Play 1 to be great fun in the bedroom at low to moderate volumes. sound does harden at higher volumes but still amazing considering the size and price. The whole Sonos system does show how poor 99% of consumer electronics are.

Sonos will sell a lot of Play 1's. A brilliant tactical move as the like of Philips, LG try to break into the game.

Am now seriously considering selling my rega dac/brio/cdp and speakers and just using these with my TT connected to the line in on the connect.
My plan too after having heard the new Play 1 at my bro's. I'd probably feel guilty at the thought of selling my Spacedeck, Naim and Epos setup but looking at the time I spend using the lot, I'm considering selling it too... :confused:

I have a stereo pair of Play 1's in the bedroom. Amazing sound for their size.

I bought one, then bought a second one the next day.

They can't have any real bass though with those tiny drivers and dimensions.
I expect they are fun though in a way that Kans are.

They are a very good product, I love mine in the kitchen, build quality is excellent, sound from one is good but I won't be rushing out to sell my naim, dynaudio, meridian combo.

It's excellent for convenience and muilti room. How they make a profit from it I don't know, worth every cent.

They can't have any real bass though with those tiny drivers and dimensions.
I expect they are fun though in a way that Kans are.

You really need to get out and listen to what designers are doing with these cheap 'toy' Class D amp boxes. There are some real foot tapper sounds out there for sure and it's liberating once you get over whatever tricks they are using to do it.

The JBL onbeat Xtreme is still the daddy on that for me.

You'll notice that Sonos release products very slowly compared to other mainstream manufacturers. They obviously product test their gear on target groups for a long time. They deserve their success IMO.

Well if I had a hat I would eat it.:D
I have purchased a single Play 1 and bridge for the kitchen and I am over the moon with it, a great sound considering the size and so much material available from internet radio and my hard drive also a doddle to set up.
The Sonos would never replace the main system but for bedrooms and kitchens they are fab.

The Sonos would never replace the main system but for bedrooms and kitchens they are fab.

Yup, good little player the 1.

The Connect makes a good source for HiFi too - and in a couple of weeks I'll let you know if a DAC can improve it. :)

Are you using the analogue out on the connect? If so I can promise that a DAC will improve it massively, the internal DAC in the sonos is bobbins.

Bought two of these just before xmas with plans to use one in the kitchen and one in my home office. I set them up as a stereo pair in the lounge and was blown away by the quality of the sound they produce when used seperately for L+R channels.

Have always been a fan of sonos and pretty much owned a ZP80/90/connect ever since they came out but this is another league for something so small.

Finding this thread, I though the OP was having a laugh so decided to pair up some Play 1's and have a serious listen.

They are currently sitting onto of my stand mounts and they are so good you forget you are listening to a tiny pair of speakers. The only time they reveal themselves is when the kids want pop music on which has "fake bass". You know the sort of booming which no known instrument makes at very low levels.

If you ever get the opportunity to have a listen its well worth it.

Have recent converts tried turning the Loudness switch Off which is On by default. Then play around with the bass and treble controls. I think a pair of Play 1's is better than a Play 5 as the smaller enclosures get a leaner but cleaner bass and obviously much better stereo separation.

advertisement

Back