advertisement

Quad 22L's, am I the only person to say these are great speakers

maccavelli

pfm Member
Hello, I've had speakers come and go, square boxes, horn boxes, curved (non acoustically reflective) boxes. Some that cost well over a thousand. And the end result? A pair of speakers that I whole heartidly love, playing any source through them, they just work with everything, never try to be flashy, never draw attention to themselves and never ones to show off, they just sound so 'right' to me. they are Quad 22L's. love 'em. Any other people with experience of them?
Curiously underwhelming reviews written about them. I can't understand why. They are so well realised units. Standing atop my marble 18" square tiles.

Just proves that choosing the right speaker is really a personal thing despite what others might say

Just proves that choosing the right speaker is really a personal thing despite what others might say
No different to choosing cars, watches, razors, women etc. Nothing like first-hand experience and what you like is all that really matters.

When I reviewed the original 12Ls I liked them very much. More than the magazine-starred 11Ls.

Never really heard the taller 21 and 22s, though.

Whilst I've never heard the 22L's, I once owned a pair of 21L's and thought they were excellent - they did need a powerful amp to wake them up though.

If I had a £ for the number of times folk said they didn't like the 'Chinese Quads' (or turned their noses up when the speakers were mentioned) I'd be a little bit richer than I am now. As often the case, most of those folks had never heard them.

I have the 22L2 version (using a Cairn 4808 amp), having previously owned and liked the smaller 21L2.

I've found they can be prone to bass boom without plenty of space around them, but otherwise they do the job. I seem to remember a fairly long break-in period though - they sounded pretty flat from new.

Also, the supplied white cotton gloves will no doubt prove useful should I consider a change of career into mime artistry or snooker refereeing.

Hello, thanks for the messages so far. Mine are the 22L's, the Mk1 version. Made in China yes.
I had a pair of 12L's mounted on my Heybrook open stands. They sounded absolutely brilliant, the 22L's were a natural progresssion, just with that extra bottom end welly.
Mine are Maple finish.

There's been a set on my CV, too . . . under-rated, and good value. Ultimately a bit pushy, but otherwise very well balanced.

Hello, thanks for the messages so far. Mine are the 22L's, the Mk1 version. Made in China yes.
I had a pair of 12L's mounted on my Heybrook open stands. They sounded absolutely brilliant, the 22L's were a natural progresssion, just with that extra bottom end welly.
Mine are Maple finish.

mine was finish in Maple lacquer. many layers of lacquer..

over the years, the part behind the grille darken and mismatch coloring..

it was nice sounding. nice vocal and punchy bass. floorstander meant for small room.

I've tried both original 11L & 12L. Couldn't stand either & returned them to the dealer... However the fact so many do like them shows they aren't bad speakers per se, just not to my taste.

Had a pair and sold them to a friend to use in his (superbly treated) home recording studio, where he uses them to listen to his mixes through "Hifi" speakers as a balance to using his monitors.

They sound excellent there.

I have a pair of 11L Classics and they sound quite nice. They are a steal at their asking price. They are not presently in use but I hope to use them in my home office when I get another amp.

I have 22L2s too. They do require a fair bit of space around them, otherwise they can boom with bass. A good amp is essential to control them, I use a Musical Fidelity A308. An excellent speaker in my view, a bit of a bargain in the right set up.

I have 22L2s too. They do require a fair bit of space around them, otherwise they can boom with bass. A good amp is essential to control them, I use a Musical Fidelity A308. An excellent speaker in my view, a bit of a bargain in the right set up.

Exactly. In my room rear ports are a no-no, but in a properly treated studio they really sound good. I should have charged him more :)

advertisement

Back