advertisement

oodles of Bass

Basic Channel, pretty much all of it.
Joni Mitchell - Overture (off Don Juan's Reckless Daughter), for when Jaco hits the open bass string.
Cornelius - Sensuous

when I posted the question it was to garner opinion on tracks that people used to evaluate bass within a system, loudest, most powerful is always going to be fun, however it does need to be controlled

Try Dissidents by Thomas Dolby off his The Flat Earth album. It's very well recorded and I always use it to test low frequency response, timing and cohesion in a system. There is undoubtedly much lower recorded bass out there but this is the one for me.

There is some very nice fretless bass elsewhere on this album too...

Pretty much anything produced by Basic Channel and mastered at Dubplates & Mastering in Berlin.

Current fave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyclef Jean - We Trying To Stay Alive (wobble bits occasionally between the main beat)
Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar (intro downward sweep)
George Michael - Spinning That Wheel.

Most systems won't even reproduce the bass bits I'm thinking of on these tracks. Certainly I need my sub* to do it in my room (and even then only from my middle left chair, not the middle right one!)

The following have great bass on many systems, you get a hint of it, but better on deep bass systems:
Madonna - Power of Good-Bye
Madonna - What It Feels Like For a Girl

*I know I said I don't like subs, but I'm test-driving a new idea for integrating the C4, ok so far but jury out.

All the above for extension.

In terms of driver bursting bass, can you beat Timbaland's The Way I Are? Pretty sure there's some nastiness in there, at your own risk.

In terms of depth/articulation try Diver Boy by Natalie Merchant.

Phat bass, try Concrete Jungle by Bob Marley.

Almost any music can be ruined musically due to lack of bass speed and articulation, which is a common problem with subs IMO.

This is the track I always use to assess the bass quality of a system. Not oodles, necessarily, but when Rob Wasserman takes those bowed solos (in the middle and especially at the end), you'll feel it. And it's just a great song.

(This is the version off Rob Wasserman's album Trios).

This has a lot of bass is it, but they save it up until around 1.20 in.

Best on laptop speakers there

DS

This has a lot of bass is it, but they save it up until around 1.20 in.

Best on laptop speakers there

DS

They've changed their sound since "Straight Shooter".

Agree with what has gone before, and some favourites have already been mentioned, Yello, Hans Zimmer et al, but some have not yet been aired.
Infected Mushroom have some reasonably musical bass lines, which go refreshingly low, as does the soundtrack to American Beauty.
Perhaps the 'lowest' I get to play is 'Why So Serious' from the Batman soundtrack - The Dark Knight.
At around 2.50 minutes in the track goes to a 'death spiral' and finishes in an amp destroying / woofer eating chuffing that is truly brutal on the entire system. You have been warned - while it is amazing when done right, it is not an entirely pleasant experience. It is a soundtrack afterall, and this is one hell of a track for that film.
41hgYqfM-lL.jpg

.... </edited>

*I know I said I don't like subs, but I'm test-driving a new idea for integrating the C4, ok so far but jury out.

... </edited>

Have you got a C4 now then, Darren? Mine's coming tomorrow - interested to hear how you've integrated yours into your system and what settings you're using...

thanks,
Matt

advertisement

Back