advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

Could not understand the attraction to Audiolab amps but they did a very good tuner.

Of source components Densen was a brand that sounded musically discordant to my ears.

I would suggest that hi-fi is a hobby which embraces and functions on the bias that many hold.

Bear in mind I was in my father's shop from age 8-25, so:

Adcom 555 Power Amp
Martin Logans
Copland Amplifiers - Any
Totems - Just never, ever, ever my thing
Totem Stafs - WOW PLEASE GET ME OUT OF HERE
London Decca Cartridges
Nakamichi RE-1 (for some reason the RE-3 would've been fine...:D
Tannoy C-10s (again, c8's and 6's were fine)
Bryston Amplifiers, unless in a surround system, even then....
Classe Amplifiers
Arcam latest gen 8, 9 amplifiers...wow freaking bright...
PMC's.

Probably like 300 more things but that's what lept to mind....

What a remarkably negative thread.

I honestly don't think I can remember ever hearing a genuinely bad piece of hifi.

The problem I'm increasingly finding is opinion based on no real experience, and even potential customers turned-off by the very mention of ATC.

Peter

This is the danger of internet forums. As with any speakers, it's GIGO, and perhaps even more so than usual with ATC. They just tell it how it is.

Really, when they are criticised it is usually more for being a bit understated and reticent which rather sounds like the opposite of your comments.

Trust me if you'd heard them at a demo with Spectral Amps I endured in the US--you'd change your view

Oh yes and the Emperical Audio demos-Digititus Horrendous!!

D41

What a remarkably negative thread.
Pardon my lateness wading in, but the OP question could also be interpreted as "there's no way this has any right to sound this good".

In which case, I must keep spouting on about my Pioneer C-21/M-22 combo. Four different people have heard them in a direct comparison to modern Densen B-250/B-350 and I saw their jaws fall to the ground each time.

How the hell can something as old and Jap-fi as Pioneer outclass the darlings of Danish hifi (which incidentally displaced the darlings of English hifi)?

advertisement

Back