advertisement

Stand-Alone DAC Alternative?

maxflinn

pfm Member
The Marantz NR-1504 AV receiver.

£229.95 from Richer Sounds.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/marantz/nr1504/mara-nr1504

Only one optical and one coaxial input, but six HDMI in for sat boxes, Blu-Ray players, Apple TV etc.

A bit big I guess but not huge like many AVR's. DLNA, Airplay, internet radio, remote control, iPhone/Android compatible.

I'm thinking of one for the DM5's, if I buy them, as it looks ideal for use with active speakers.

If the size isn't off-putting and one is happy with the sound, or happy to trust it'll sound fine, then it seems a good alternative to a stand-alone DAC with remote at a great price.

marantz_nr_1504_slim_novo_39419.jpg

The Marantz NR-1504 AV receiver.

£229.95 from Richer Sounds.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/marantz/nr1504/mara-nr1504

Only one optical and one coaxial input, but six HDMI in for sat boxes, Blu-Ray players, Apple TV etc.

A bit big I guess but not huge like many AVR's. DLNA, Airplay, internet radio, remote control, iPhone/Android compatible.

If the size isn't off-putting and one is happy with the sound, or happy to trust it'll sound fine, then it seems a good alternative to a stand-alone DAC with remote at a great price.

marantz_nr_1504_slim_novo_39419.jpg

And your point?

It'll be perfectly good for driving an average sound that 80% of HiFi owners will be happy with, while 20% throw-up on the floor.

It's always been that way from Amstrad to Linn/Naim in the '80s.

Peter

And your point?

Peter
I've been looking at the options out there as I may need a remote controlled DAC with plenty of inputs. This is one, albeit in a rather big box, compared to stand-alone DACs.

It's by far the cheapest suitable option I've yet to find. I thought it good value so posted for the benefit of others who may have requirements like mine.

I've been looking at the options out there as I may need a remote controlled DAC with plenty of inputs. This is one, albeit in a rather big box, compared to stand-alone DACs.

It's by far the cheapest suitable option I've yet to find. I thought it good value so posted for the benefit of others who may have requirements like mine.

And that's perfectly reasonable :)

After listening to all the shite in Brighton recently, I have to say, I would be completely lost if a novice these days and would opt for obvious solutions.

Peter

I had high hopes for the Marantz combo streamer / FM / DAB / CD / amplifier is it, but it is let down by a rather reluctant shy sound compared to the nice NAD receiver.

But is a neat little box though, and plenty of inputs.

DS

Earliest AV receivers using hdmi suffered from a lot of sound degradation due to jitter on that interface. Has this now been fixed on recent amps?

I was looking at that Marantz AV amp myself but purely for AV duties only.
It is one of the few that is relativley slim in stature.

advertisement

Back