advertisement

Naim SBL

amazement

pfm Member
So what do they sound like? I only ever listened to the big DBL's once by accident and was impressed, so would I like SBL's?
Amp would be Nap200.

I think like you'd like them.

They are a bit old skool flat earth, share the same tweeter as the Linn Kan, which I love, in fact they are a bit like Kans with bass!

They are very fast, dry tight tuneful bass, a little forward.

They need to be right up against a solid back wall and take a bit of careful setting up.

I find them a very musical and engaging speaker which I'm about to take active.

Your 200 will drive them fine.

Thanks for that Gaius. I am bit fed up with ported bloaters booming all over the place that need to be in the middle of the room to work. Would you say you lose some depth with them to the back wall?

I prefer them to Ovator 400s which I have tried in my room, bit of a strange speaker that one.

I agree with you about ports, initially the better ones are quite impressive, big sound, little box.....

It's one of the things I like best with the SBL is the bass sounds real.

I would if you were not too far away.

Fair enough!

I strongly suspect you'd like SBLs - but they're not especially rare (though beware there are some ropey ones around), so be patient and you'll probably find a pair comes up nearer to you before too long.

Fair enough!

I strongly suspect you'd like SBLs - but they're not especially rare (though beware there are some ropey ones around), so be patient and you'll probably find a pair comes up nearer to you before too long.

If you want to swap for my Kef R300's for your av set up I'll come down and listen and exchange.?

I think like you'd like them.

They are a bit old skool flat earth, share the same tweeter as the Linn Kan, which I love, in fact they are a bit like Kans with bass!

IMHO, wrt Linn kans, you get more bass, but you loose something in the medium presentation
You should have a listen to make sure you'll like them

So what do they sound like? I only ever listened to the big DBL's once by accident and was impressed, so would I like SBL's?
Amp would be Nap200.

I used to drive mine with a 150x.

Sounded very fine indeed.

Though the naim forumees might tell you you need to go active with a pair of 500's.

The thing is they tend to hold their value pretty much so it's worth waiting for a good pair on eBay to take a punt and get rid of if you don't like them. I got mine for £330 a couple of years ago so I could maybe make a profit but they ain't going nowhere ;)

The thing is they tend to hold their value pretty much so it's worth waiting for a good pair on eBay to take a punt and get rid of if you don't like them. I got mine for £330 a couple of years ago so I could maybe make a profit but they ain't going nowhere ;)

£330 bit of a bargain then. I saw a pair going for £895 at a dealer, not even with the correct foam grills.

Anyone care to comment on how these might work with an Avondale S100? I would guess pretty well and certainly a step up from my Credos.

First hand experience anyone?

dmp

£330 bit of a bargain then. I saw a pair going for £895 at a dealer, not even with the correct foam grills.

£300-£350 for MK1's in Ash black in reasonable condition.

Expect up to £1k for MK2's in Walnut and Cherry finishes.

advertisement

Back