advertisement

Climate Change over-egged

This is concrete evidence of how climate change is altering the face of the planet forever - and doing so at an alarming and accelerating rate.

Forever?

rofl...

I for one will be disappointed if it is all a bit over egged - we were hoping for a beach here in sunny stoke at some point as the tides rise and we eventually becomes a small island

sometimes it rains amd sometimes its sunny , so yes the climate does change , in fact sometimes its cold and sometimes its hot. But seriously , if human activity is effecting the climate , so be it , if it kills us off , so be it , then the climate will still change , its part of nature.:D

I for one will be disappointed if it is all a bit over egged - we were hoping for a beach here in sunny stoke at some point as the tides rise and we eventually becomes a small island

Darren, I too, as you know, am a hill dweller. This was a deliberate policy on my part as I foresaw the eco disaster coming.

I have been looking forward to the rise in the value of my property as everybody else sinks under rising tides, but somehow, I think the Govt. will suddenly change the rules.....

They really can be rotten sports when it suits them.

Mull

Our climate today seems a little scrambled, but over the weekend it was sunny side up. I was boiled on Sunday out in the countryside.
It's probably a bit hotter further south, but I don't really care if the French toast.

"The Times Atlas is not owned by The Times newspaper. It is published by Times Books, an imprint of HarperCollins, which is in turn owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation."

Hmm isnt "The Times" owned by NewsCorp too... what kind of double-speak is this??

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...obal-warming-fake-pause-hiatus-climate-change

Graun said:
The 'pause' in global warming is not even a thing
All signs point to an acceleration of human-caused climate change. So why all this talk of a pause?

Global warming ‘pause’ due to unusual trade winds in Pacific ocean, study finds
The IPCC in 2013 pointed out that more than 90% of the world?s extra heat is being soaked up by the oceans, rather than lingering on the surface. Photograph: Universal History Archive/Getty Images
The idea that global warming has "paused" or is currently chillaxing in a comfy chair with the words "hiatus" written on it has been getting a good run in the media of late.

Much of this is down to a new study analysing why one single measure of climate change – the temperatures on the surface averaged out across the entire globe – might not have been rising quite so quickly as some thought they might.

But here's the thing.

There never was a "pause" in global warming or climate change. For practical purposes, the so-called "pause" in global warming is not even a thing.

The study in question was led by Professor Matt England at the University of New South Wales Climate Change Research Centre.

England's study found that climate models had not been geared to account for the current two decade-long period of strong trade winds in the Pacific.

Once the researchers added this missing windy ingredient to the climate models, the surface temperatures predicted by the models more closely matched the observations – that is, the actual temperature measurements that have been taken around the globe. England explains the study in this YouTube video (see link).

Climate scientist Professor Matt England explains his study on the influence of Pacific trade winds on global temperatures
England told me:

"Global warming has not stopped. People should understand that the planet is a closed system. As we increase our emissions of greenhouse gases, the fundamental thermal dynamics tells us we have added heat into the system. Once it's trapped, it can go to a myriad of places – land surface, oceans, ice shelves, ice sheets, glaciers for example."

England explained how the winds help the ocean to absorb heat into the thermocline – that's roughly the area between 100 metres and 300 metres deep. He says once the trade winds drop – which is likely to come within years rather than decades – then the averaged surface temperatures will rise sharply again.

Media outlets across the world have extensively covered England's paper. National Geographic told us the study revealed how the heat had been "hiding" in the oceans.

Over at the ABC, we were told the paper gave an explanation for "a pause in global warming" and that "over the past 15 years the rate of global warming has slowed - and more recently almost stalled."

On The Conversation, we had "Global warming stalled by strong winds driving heat into oceans".

Even though these reports spoke in detail about the complexity of the research (England feels the coverage generally has been very good), they could inadvertently cement the idea that global warming has in some way stopped, when it hasn't.

But this is almost unavoidable. You can hardly blame journalists and commentators for repeating the phrase that "global warming is in a hiatus" when the offending word is in the title of the scientific paper itself (Recent intensification of wind-driven circulation in the Pacific and the ongoing warming hiatus).

Andrew Bolt, News Corporation Australia's in-house climate science mangler, could not hide his excitement that Professor England apparently now "admits" that global warming has stopped.

Yet when it's all put into context, practically all the signs show the impacts of human-caused climate change are trending dramatically in the wrong direction – just as they have been for several decades... contd.

I read the Torygraph version of that article

In essence what was being claimed was that the quantity of heat churned by the oceans was greater than had been assumed. Assuming the ocean / atmosphere barrier is a kind of heat exchanger, and the earth is 66% covered in water, then this is an unimaginable cock-up in the mathematics that underpins all climate models.

The article went on to predict that within 20 years the ocean would reach the limit of it's capacity to absorb the [assumed anthropogenic] warming and the upward trend would be resumed at the previous predicted rate - kind of a hockey stick with a horizontal splint from 1998 to 2034

So, yet again its a case of "Oh no the model doesn't work" - "Lets change the data to prove the model will work, at some point, in the future"

It's almost enough to make me go all climate sceptic, again.

here's a couple of contrasting stories from the Telegraph

link1

link2

Cliff, it's almost like you've formed pre-conclusions. Of course if you were to take the points made in the article and reject them with reasoning, then your position may seem more reasoned.

It should be pretty easy to form a rational rejection, unless your rejection is a faith-based one.

I for one don't believe that we've got any handle on being able to predict how climatic conditions will change in the future. We have a bunch of models which lets face it are trying to predict a system that is renowned for being almost impossible to predict accurately except in anything but the extreme short term. Look at our weather forecasts for example. They are based on very complex models and the best science we have to date and yet they still can't predict local weather even reasonably accurately past 4 or 5 days in to the future. Weather models are considerably less complex than global climate models. This leads me to the only logical and scientifically sound conclusion that the current climate models are at best guesses as to what might actually happen. They may be correct in the most gross of senses, but otherwise you may as well throw a dice to know what will actually happen in any given region of the planet 10 or 20 years from now.

Still - no

Seriously the media are over egging climate change all over the shop.

It may just be possible that all the extra heat gets redistributed in a way that causes no really bad effects, the Earths weather is a highly complex feedback system and it will never be possible to say with absolute certainty what will happen. However one thing that feedback systems do not like is an impulse, it makes them behave in odd ways and when designing them impulses are best filtered out. If you wish to rely on blind luck to save you then fine, just don't pretend its anything else. Giving an impulse to a feedback system you don't really know the properties of is just stupid in the extreme.

I for one don't believe that we've got any handle on being able to predict how climatic conditions will change in the future. We have a bunch of models which lets face it are trying to predict a system that is renowned for being almost impossible to predict accurately except in anything but the extreme short term. Look at our weather forecasts for example. They are based on very complex models and the best science we have to date and yet they still can't predict local weather even reasonably accurately past 4 or 5 days in to the future. Weather models are considerably less complex than global climate models. This leads me to the only logical and scientifically sound conclusion that the current climate models are at best guesses as to what might actually happen. They may be correct in the most gross of senses, but otherwise you may as well throw a dice to know what will actually happen in any given region of the planet 10 or 20 years from now.
well, a key statement in the article is this:
"Once the researchers added this missing windy ingredient to the climate models, the surface temperatures predicted by the models more closely matched the observations – that is, the actual temperature measurements that have been taken around the globe. England explains the study in this YouTube video"

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no science in the Guardian article. And there's no real science in the England paper.

Which is a shame. But not a surprise.

Paul

advertisement

Back