advertisement

Your ideal "good enough" system

Nic P

pfm Member
I love my main system, but if the house burnt down it would cost bonkers money to replace. Assuming I started again how much would I spend? My ideal value-for-money system would:

A sub £1000 CDP or Computer Audio set-up.
A sub £1000 second hand TEAD Vibe pre-amp.
A second hand Rotel poweramp for peanuts.
A £1000 pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms
A second hand Roksan Xerxes / Artemiz and a Koetsu Black with a couple of hundred pounds to have it fettled by Ian at UHES, with a second hand TEAD MicroGroove.
Cheap good quality interconnects and speaker cables.
Some pulsar points under equipment and speakers.

This is still quite a lot of money but probably less than a good second hand NAP 500.

Nic P

SBT with EDO, Audiolab MDAC*, ATC100s. Within most folks' reach, simple and top notch quality.

* other DAC/Pres are available; Auralic Vega would be a nice alternative, albeit at a higher price.

I'd order a new replacement iMac, dac v1(?), nap 100 and ovator 400s and see what all the fuss is about. The iMac would definitely stay, hopefully the rest of the system would as well.

?: I think that's the name of their basic dac

If I lost it all and started from scratch I'd buy an all-Rega system.

Sounds great, looks great and is sensibly priced.

Well, either an all-Rega system or a really nice power cord.

Joe

Actually, I wonder if I'd bother with a speaker system.... a top-class headphone system (HD800s or Stax perhaps) would be easy to live with, and no complaints from the GLW...

Joe

Don't forget to budget 11.3% of your funds for the speaker cables and make sure you buy a set that ranked a 64 or greater on one of those hifi reviewer scale things!

Joe

I'd probably do the same TBH.

May try shahinian speakers though.

SBT for 200 quid
2nd hand meridian DSP6000 's (24/96 = 2500 quid)
MiniDSP openDRC Di room correction/eq - 200quid

linnfomaniac,

May try shahinian speakers though.
That's a speaker I'd like to hear one day, but don't they require Death Star levels of power?

Joe

Dave,

Don't forget to budget 11.3% of your funds for the speaker cables and make sure you buy a set that ranked a 64 or greater on one of those hifi reviewer scale things!
And at least 11.3% on Bach CDs or records. Without Bach, what's the point of owning a stereo?

Joe

I'd just buy what I've got now:

Rega Brio-r
Rega Apollo-r
Rega DAC
Rega RP6
Rega RS5
ZYX R50 MC cartridge
Tom Evans microgroove
Laptop with HiFace 2
Tellurium Q black speaker cables
Mogami 2549 interconnects

Kudos for the microgroove, it's the best phono stage I've heard so far.

Have you got the microgroove plus? Was considering sending mine back to Tom as he said he'd upgrade it to the plus with the lithos reg and dip switches for £350.

Joe,

LOL... I thought the point of owning one was for T. Waits and old Ollie Messiaen ;-)

(throw bobby D in there too)

Dave,

OK, Goldberg Variations *and* God's Away on Business.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Presuming my iPhone was saved cos it was on me I'd just get a Sonos speaker.

That would be good enough for me now.

I wouldn't have any more hard copy.

I'd spend the insurance money for my kit and discs on a down payment on a Greek shack.

I'd just buy what I've got now:

Rega Brio-r
Rega Apollo-r
Rega DAC
Rega RP6
Rega RS5
ZYX R50 MC cartridge
Tom Evans microgroove
Laptop with HiFace 2
Tellurium Q black speaker cables
Mogami 2549 interconnects

Kudos for the microgroove, it's the best phono stage I've heard so far.

Have you got the microgroove plus? Was considering sending mine back to Tom as he said he'd upgrade it to the plus with the lithos reg and dip switches for £350.

I have a Groove ... personally I would stick to the bog standard microgroove.

Nic P

For "good enough" only the speakers really matter. I don't think I could live with ported speakers, in general they are not "good enough". Maybe a pair of old AR18s is the minimum (haven''t heard them for ages though).

I could probably put together a reasonable system using bit and bobs I've got lying about the place, but if I literally lost all the audio equipment I own, I'd buy a good pre/DAC, an SBT and a secondhand pair of Stax earspeakers. I wouldn't bother with vinyl again if all my LPs had gone up in smoke.

advertisement

Back