advertisement

£20 Behringer, £1250 Naim V1, £1800 Linn Majik DS-Eff all in it.

In few words: The OP bravely admitted that he was unable to distinguish the five or six very different DACs he thoroughly compared so far.

Just got a Naim Dac V1 for a headphone apartment system, i tried and owned a few, Cambridge Audio etc. The Naim blew everything out of the water by a mile. I've been critical of Naim on here for various corporate reasons which is another story - but this DAC / Pre is a bargain. In our olive SBL system its also amazing. I found massive differences in all these DACS, IMO FWIW.

Martin

In few words: The OP bravely admitted that he was unable to distinguish the five or six very different DACs he thoroughly compared so far.

That was my experience comparing a Naim NDX to a Sonos. At the time through a 202 pre and Meridian 559 into mk1 Shahinian Obelisks.

Just got a Naim Dac V1 for a headphone apartment system, i tried and owned a few, Cambridge Audio etc. The Naim blew everything out of the water by a mile. I've been critical of Naim on here for various corporate reasons which is another story - but this DAC / Pre is a bargain. In our olive SBL system its also amazing. I found massive differences in all these DACS, IMO FWIW.

Martin

Blind tested? If so into what system? Given the hoo-ha on the whole blind testing subject I'd just like to state I am genuinely interested and open minded on this subject area, not just trying to be contentious.

Count me in on the V1 love fest. When you consider what it can do with USB from a Mac Mini and into a Naim power amp it makes for a very compelling argument for a minimal system, especially in an office/study environment where you are likely to already have PC.

I think there is little or no difference these days between competent digital sources. I got a rocket for saying this from Linn HQ, and was informed that:

"..talking down the differences between digital sources is exactly equal to an irrational bias against Linn."

Don't think so, fella. I think they are chasing the wind. Digital is pretty much "solved".

Personally i think there is as much difference in digital sources as any differences in amplifier, in other words lots. My DacV1 sounds bugger all like my CDS3 which in turn sounds nothing like any of the Naim streamers. Each to his own i guess.

Personally i think there is as much difference in digital sources as any differences in amplifier, in other words lots. My DacV1 sounds bugger all like my CDS3 which in turn sounds nothing like any of the Naim streamers. Each to his own i guess.

The outlier there is the CDS3, which sounded rather odd.

In your opinion of course.
This is exciting! Do you have access to results that are not based on the opinion of one or a few individuals? Seriously, real evidence for difference would be a step-change in the debate!

Another vote for the Dac V1. I already have decent dacs in my Arcam rblink and Arcam avr600. The Naims better.

Use mine into 135s. Good as I have heard outside vinyl systems.

Why don't you try, maxy? You're always banging on about tests, without ever having tried one in your life.

Were you willing to try one yourself, with an open mind, you might be surprised.

keep-calm-it-s-just-little-man-syndrome.png

This is exciting! Do you have access to results that are not based on the opinion of one or a few individuals? Seriously, real evidence for difference would be a step-change in the debate!

I think the point is that just stating 'this is shit' without some reference to it being your opinion or some background is ignorant. Simple as really, read into that what you like, which you obviously have.

CD Players and Dacs do IME sound pretty much the same once you take the time to level match them and test them blind.

The CDX2/555ps I thought sounded dramatically different sounded the same as a Marantz once I had paid attention to proper level matching.

Bub is right. These companies would be better off exploring dsp and psychoacoustics.

I think the point is that just stating 'this is shit' without some reference to it being your opinion or some background is ignorant.

This is an internet hi-fi forum not a peer reviewed journal. I would have thought (in my humble opinion) that inference rather than reference, with regard to opinions would suffice.

advertisement

Back