advertisement

Silver Wire Interconnects

Lordhenley

pfm Member
Been contemplating a move to silver wire interconnects, is there anything in particular I should be looking for, a quick look round the net sees that these range in price from around £50 on ebay to many thousands of pounds. Id set a budget of around £700 max for new or secondhand but a few on the evilbay have caught my attention which seem to cost around £200 max for what appears to be a very professionally made litz wire multi strand manufacture.

I have had a pair of Audioquest Sky in the system loaned from a friend which are at the top of the budget I had set for a secondhand pair. From what I heard these were fantastic in my system, really opened the soundstage up but one cant help wondering if there is anything out there can perform at this level for a fraction of the price.

Here are the ebay ones I was looking at

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181241833212

Furthermore I was looking at these from a company called Connex audio, the model was the ultimate version at £124 per 0.5m

http://www.connexaudio.com/RCA_interconnects.php

Current interconnects I use are Nordost Red Dawn which link a Mastersound DuVenti to a Jolida dac, all played through a Mac Mini using Audirvana

Many thanks in advance

Lee

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You've tried the AQ sky in your system, you like it, it sounds great, it is priced within your budget, easiest way is to buy it and no more fuss.

if 0.6m is long enough, I think I've seen some nordost vahalla rca interconnects gone on the bay for about 700, not for longer length though. This is some sort of reference mark of interconnects if you want to try something new.

I could be wrong, but I used to use Nordost Red Dawn interconnects and I feel certain they are silver wire

I started to use silver interconnects some years ago, I have many different makes and types including ribbons, litz, ultra thin and heavy multicore, lengths ranging from 15cm for active xover to amp to 1.5 metre for pre to monoblocks, I wouldn't go back to copper. Each of the ones I have is slightly different in sound, subtle differences to be sure, but different. I too was somewhat curious about the AQs and tried a pair of Columbias (top copper type) and was so impressed that I have now set up my system with Panthers from SUT to phono, Columbias from phono to a switch box and Skys from DAC to switch box and switch box to AV pre and Sky to main power amp, I'm currently waiting for a pair of speaker cables to arrive, hoping they are as good as the interconnects, although I'm not sure how much better the system can sound! The AQs seem to lift that slight veil that I didn't realise was there. If you're in or near London you're welcome to have a listen to the various interconnects, even have some silver digital cables if you are running a DAC.

I made my own many years ago out of 99.99 % pure silver purchased from Johnson Matthey and never looked back.

I made not only interconnects but also cable for inside the cabinets of my midrange drivers, and cable for the amp to midrange cabinets. I also made silver cables for the tweeter and amp to tweeter crossover.

The total cost of this, using teflon dialectric, was astonishingly low.

I am still using these cables, with complete satisfaction.

I have also had the midrange cable cryogenically treated. Highly recommended, PROVIDED that your system and hearing are able to discriminate the improvements.

I made my own many years ago out of 99.99 % pure silver purchased from Johnson Matthey and never looked back.

I made not only interconnects but also cable for inside the cabinets of my midrange drivers, and cable for the amp to midrange cabinets. I also made silver cables for the tweeter and amp to tweeter crossover.

The total cost of this, using teflon dialectric, was astonishingly low.

I am still using these cables, with complete satisfaction.

I have also had the midrange cable cryogenically treated. Highly recommended, PROVIDED that your system and hearing are able to discriminate the improvements.

I really wished I had the DIY skills to make my own, I struggle at times to put a 3 pin plug on an electrical appliance.

I might give the guys at Connex audio a try as they do a return to base if not satisfied, if these dont work out then I can always buy the Skys

Muzzers beat me to it , Yannis is a great guy and will make you exactly what you want - I had a special all silver tonearm cable made by him after and exhastive search and it did everything I wanted/expected and more and was very reasonably priced.

I Beleive Yannis also offers a full return policy if not satified - talk to him , his advice is peerless.

Just a thought : if you buy 10meter pair and 20 wbt connectors , chop it up and make 20 .05 meters and sell them at 20% deduction , you will make about £1000.

This not uncommon pricing structure [ popular lengths being more expensive per meter] always struck me as odd .

Just a thought : if you buy 10meter pair and 20 wbt connectors , chop it up and make 20 .05 meters and sell them at 20% deduction , you will make about £1000.

This not uncommon pricing structure [ popular lengths being more expensive per meter] always struck me as odd .

Supply and demand is not odd.

advertisement

Back