advertisement

MCRU music server?

So - avole - when I said:
It's inevitable that more of these products will be in the pipeline . . .
. . . that was nonsense, you think?

And when I said:
The accusation has also been leveled at Weiss and Bryston, among others, that their servers are 'just off the shelf parts' tweaked a bit.
. . . that was wrong, you think?

And when I said:
Well, only a handful of manufacturers make motherboards: the cost of reinventing that particular wheel is prohibitive. Unless you're expecting to sell thousands of these puppies a year (which isn't going to happen), you would use an off-the-shelf board.
. . . that was also incorrect?

And when I said:
On the other hand, it's quite understandable that customers will want to know exactly what goes into a product that differentiates it from a stock Mac or PC . . .
. . . you believe customers shouldn't know what the product contains?

And you disagree vehemently with this statement?
I'm not really comfortable with the idea of dressing up an acoustically silent PC in a fancy case and charging a thundering great premium for it . . . without transparent declaration, the assumption by buyers may be that it's a parts-bin mark-up exercise contrived to bamboozle the unwary.
You support the idea of dressing up an acoustically silent PC in a fancy case and charging a thundering premium for it? And you feel transparent declaration is a bad thing? And you think customers will NOT question the mark up on such a product?

And you don't subscribe to this viewpoint?
. . . the computer [should] not sound too much like it's there. And that's the highest accolade you can award it.
Really? Everything I said was insupportable rubbish?

I agree. Your claim was that they don't *sound* the same.

I think that is called expectational bias. :)

If it walks and talks like a duck, you believe it is a duck, despite it actually being a coot.

Computers do differ. QED - agreed.

Proving they sound different, in every system, to everyone ever, is an obvious impossibility. I can only convince the world one or two listeners at a time.

But when all low-noise computers sound characteristically similar, and all noisy computers sound characteristically similar, it's no great leap to the Duck conclusion. In exactly the same way, ribbon and horn speakers - valve and Class D amps - all have a mildly characteristic 'signature'.

I'm open to the idea that it's ALL expectation bias, but would like to point out the logical fallacy of treating the computer any differently to the CD transport, DAC, amplifier or speakers in this regard.

Do you mean better processors eg I5 or I7 would be better? Thanks for your posts.

It really won't make a difference. But I guess that is always the wrong answer.

The thing is: try the same board with a Celeron, i5 and i7 processor. For us, it hasn't made a difference as large as the power supply or better handling of data and power over USB which are the two major areas of possible improvement. Let's not set up straw men to knock over.

Really? Everything I said was insupportable rubbish?
Yes, you got it at last.

Whatever happened to those comparisons you were going to organise? I'm guessing you realised that to go there put your business at risk.

Buy a decent DAC or a USB filter. The conversion process is a done deal. You can make the output of the PC electrically quieter and remove noise from the USB bus, but you can do this for £40 so no point wasting thousands on fancy chips and motherboards and sata cables....

Annoyingly, one computer can sound very different playing music into a Hifi system than another. Why IS that?

Sure about that? With same input and all processing disabled, into external DAC? Would be interesting in tests that verify.

Tim

Sure about that? With same input and all processing disabled, into external DAC? Would be interesting in tests that verify.

Tim

All cables sound the same, etc. It's the same polemic, some say no, some say yes. Like some that say the same cable different connector, different sound. Then there are those that argue that an instruction choice in the playback software is going to make a difference (MQN supporters), there's always something to maintain/start a fight.

Then there's "les fréres enemis" like avole/item, it's got to the point where any assertion by one, will not be allowed by the other.

All cables sound the same, etc. It's the same polemic, some say no, some say yes. Like some that say the same cable different connector, different sound. Then there are those that argue that an instruction choice in the playback software is going to make a difference (MQN supporters), there's always something to maintain/start a fight.

And there is of course a pretty good method to find out - properly controlled double-blind ABX listening tests.

You what? I'd have thought it would be the starting point before trying to claim any audible improvement from some new thingie.

Tim

Only talking about computers and their wonderful relationships with DACs; not DACs versus other DACs, because they very rarely null, not even partially ;)

Peter

Difficult to put much credence in a site like that, isn't it?
A "blog" which is really an internet website selling cables from what appears to be a one person company in Taiwan...

Much better watching the usual protagonists defending the masses from computer audio purveyors.The population must be kept on the horse and cart and out of the motor car.Keep up the stirling work men ;)

Peter, I'm using iZotope.

Ok, that's what I thought tbh.

I cannot remember whether this is the default setting in Audirvana but, any form of "signal processing" will potential change the sound. I have many recordings and graphs to show the effects of iZotope (ASP), re-clocked digital inputs (S/PDIF etc) showing very obvious changes in frequency response and therefore the sound when changing transports and even cables.

Regards,
Peter

advertisement

Back