advertisement

What excuse do you have...

...to run a (so called) better, more powerful, or feature laden amplifier than say Rega's Brio-R? I'm interested foremost in your personal stories.

Me, I don't have such an excuse, I'm afraid. My speakers are easy to drive (says Nait Two), my living/listening room is light and not too demanding in the audio sense, my budget allows no more for an amplifier, I have no room for more than one box on the rack. I could live happily with a Brio (or a Nait 5i).

So, what's your excuse and how would you convince me if you'd think that I'm wrong.

Kind regards to all,

Klyde

Nothing 'so-called' about it.

The Brio-R is the kind of typically underpowered amplifier we British use to undernourish our loudspeakers. Because we are backward-looking and impecunious, we have learned to live with floppy, no bass sound instead of taut, grippy bass because we get physically scared of anything greater than about 70W. None of which need apply today.

Worse, because the output of our amplifiers is so dreadfully gutless, we are limited to using either obsolete and hideously coloured horn systems or teeny-tiny box speakers with midrange drive units acting as woofers. We then plaster over the cracks in this great audio mistake by blindly following the endless streams of BS about how much 'PRaT' they have (or some other nonsense), ably manipulated by dealers blinded by their inability to make a real sale who think small is beautiful.

We even moderate our music tastes to accommodate this weakness in amplifier design, by playing folk and jazz that doesn't challenge the limits of the equipment. Listen to any of Bruckner's symphonies (but especially the Ninth) and see what this does to music.

You are all very nice and mean :). I meant well. I'm seriously wondering what the added value of a so called better amp would be.

Regards,

Klyde

Well meaning Klyde. Borrow or buy one then you will know if there is an added value for you. It isn't a universal standard, it's a matter of personal opinion.

Next question

Do DACs sound different?

I like my valve amp more. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. I'm not interested in "convincing" you, your hifi is in your lounge for you to listen to. If you like it, then you're right. If you think it's "the best" or only solution, then you are wrong.

I like amps (as in electrons, not metal boxes) so I have a Meridian 557. I may buy another just to make sure.

I don't like to run out of essential things such as firewood, wine and amps; so I keep a reasonable amount in reserve.

Oh Chaz you must have surely missed that I have a pair of Meridian 559s each set to bridged mode that can deliver >1600Wpc into 4 Ohms.

Cheers,

DV

My excuse is that I much prefer active speakers. I've not given a moments thought to stand-alone amps and speakers since getting some actives 3 years ago.

Cheers.

We even moderate our music tastes to accommodate this weakness in amplifier design, by playing folk and jazz that doesn't challenge the limits of the equipment. Listen to any of Bruckner's symphonies (but especially the Ninth) and see what this does to music.

Every now and then an entertaining post.
It almost made me want to instantly get rid, and forever, of my Naims.

As for Bruckner, I love his music a lot, and use it in my class room for analysis sometimes.

Cheers
Max

OMG, what have I done! My musical tastes range from John Cage-style minimal stuff via Coltrane, Cherry, Taylor, to Bardo Pond, Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground (+ Can, Faust, Neu!, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the like) and I have never had the feeling that my Nait Two was out of its breath. So I thought as a follow up Brio-R (or Nait 5i) should do nicely and more and or better (Naim pre-power, Sugden) would be overkill. I think I've got an inkling by now :).

Thanks, guys!

Cheers,

Klyde

Oh Chaz you must have surely missed that I have a pair of Meridian 559s each set to bridged mode that can deliver >1600Wpc into 4 Ohms.

Cheers,

DV
What, there's someone that you haven't told? Last time I was on holiday I got chatting to a nomadic Tibetan yak herder. Turns out he's got a brother into hifi, who'd told him about your setup. How many watts is it again?

Nothing 'so-called' about it.

The Brio-R is the kind of typically underpowered amplifier we British use to undernourish our loudspeakers. Because we are backward-looking and impecunious, we have learned to live with floppy, no bass sound instead of taut, grippy bass because we get physically scared of anything greater than about 70W. None of which need apply today.

Worse, because the output of our amplifiers is so dreadfully gutless, we are limited to using either obsolete and hideously coloured horn systems or teeny-tiny box speakers with midrange drive units acting as woofers. We then plaster over the cracks in this great audio mistake by blindly following the endless streams of BS about how much 'PRaT' they have (or some other nonsense), ably manipulated by dealers blinded by their inability to make a real sale who think small is beautiful.

Good point. Here comes the but; as a musician (albeit self-taught and non-professional) I really personally don't see the point with real-life dynamics and SPL. Most recordings have a very small dynamic range.

I'm fine listening classical through a table-radio, actually. Hifi doesn't need to be much better than this for me. I can go to live concerts. Musical content - the sheet music - is what matters to me, and while it can be argued that dynamics belong to musical content, it's just making things difficult on purpose.

The experience hearing a real proper hifi system must be great with the right material. Personally, I'm not that interested nor I'm willing to pay for it. I think this applies to most hobbyists.

Even with classical music, there is plenty of purpose beyond 'being able to hear every nuance "correctly" between piano pianissimo and forte fortissimo'.

Why buy anything better than what is just serviceable ?
I drive a car that is way beyond what I actually need for transport , why?
I have clothes way beyond what I actually need to cover me , why?
I have a house that is way beyond what I actually need for basic shelter , why?

What, there's someone that you haven't told? Last time I was on holiday I got chatting to a nomadic Tibetan yak herder. Turns out he's got a brother into hifi, who'd told him about your setup. How many watts is it again?

Actually, I was aware of this small power station on the south coast...

;)

Actually, I was aware of this small power station on the south coast...

;)

......and it sounds very good indeed. For the s/h price the 559s are a steal. They will hold their own against £10k++ amps. I thank pfm for introducing them to me especially Mr P.

The 559s are in a different league to the 557 so I would go for one 559 vs two 557s.

Oh and we have a Nuclear power station in Dungeness. Nice to travel there on the RH&D railway by steam.

Cheers from a happy bunny,

DV

PS Did I meantion that they can deliver a burst of 150A into 1 Ohm? If you do the math thats 22.5KW!!!!!

I think I call an old buddie

Once he cared for watt kilowatt weight or whatever

I will ask him to log-in here - some important to know for him

have you considered making a signature with all the facts which matters for you, then it will automatically show in your posting and not one single thread will be left unnoticed about your 559 pair(wow)

No excuses needed.

If I like what I see and hear and it fits any of my room(s), I buy. Simples.

My budget is a tad leaner than that I'm afraid. I'm looking for good music in my living room for relatively little money. Rega Brio-R or Nait 5i is top of my budget regarding amplifiers. I have to put money aside in case my Apheta cartridge gives up the ghost.

Enjoy!

Klyde

advertisement

Back