advertisement

What excuse do you have...

Klyde

pfm Member
...to run a (so called) better, more powerful, or feature laden amplifier than say Rega's Brio-R? I'm interested foremost in your personal stories.

Me, I don't have such an excuse, I'm afraid. My speakers are easy to drive (says Nait Two), my living/listening room is light and not too demanding in the audio sense, my budget allows no more for an amplifier, I have no room for more than one box on the rack. I could live happily with a Brio (or a Nait 5i).

So, what's your excuse and how would you convince me if you'd think that I'm wrong.

Kind regards to all,

Klyde

If you like the sound of the Brio-R then go for it!
I've listened to quite a few modern amps recently as I'm about to sell my 32.5/Hicap/250 in favour of a more modern 1 box integrated. Personally I'm considering the Bri-R's big brother, the Osiris if funds allow. Had a listen to the other Rega amps and thought they were all good, although I preferred the extra refinement of the larger amps.
Doubt you'll find anything better than the Brio-R around £500 though. Sorry, can't disagree with you :)

...to run a (so called) better, more powerful, or feature laden amplifier than say Rega's Brio-R? I'm interested foremost in your personal stories.

I was born almost 60 years ago on The Wirral (not sure why, as my parents were living in Liverpool at the time). I was the third of four children; the elder of two sons (con'd p.94).

Me, I don't have such an excuse, I'm afraid. My speakers are easy to drive (says Nait Two), my living/listening room is light and not too demanding in the audio sense, my budget allows no more for an amplifier, I have no room for more than one box on the rack. I could live happily with a Brio (or a Nait 5i).

So, what's your excuse and how would you convince me if you'd think that I'm wrong.

Kind regards to all,

Klyde

It's impossible to drive keltiks with Brio R, it's a very good amp though.

There's no excuse to run a Brio R. It is a massive extravagance when you can get a s/h Onix 21S, which is a good bit better in sound and looks, for about half the money.

You are all very nice and mean :). I meant well. I'm seriously wondering what the added value of a so called better amp would be.

Regards,

Klyde

OK Klyde,
I used the Brio-R for a year, having sold a magarooney Naim pre/power set-up - I could list the reasons but they're not primarily financial. The Brio-R was a delight to use and very clean and powerful for a 50w amp.
After a year I hankered for a bit more power for my inefficient speakers and found a s/h Caspian 2. This was great but there was a slight brightness. I also tried a Sugden A21SE but this really didn't work with them. I home-tested the Elicit-R which was exactly as described in the WHF review - fantastically detailed, edge-of-seat, almost too much.
Finally those nice people at Naim announced a new super integrated amp which looked the ticket, so I placed an order, and have been delighted since August.

Why would anyone try and convince you Klyde? If you're happy with what you've got then what are you looking for? An argument?

You are all very nice and mean :). I meant well. I'm seriously wondering what the added value of a so called better amp would be.

Regards,

Klyde

By that statement you're inferring that there is no better amp, which makes this discussion pointless as you already have an (misguided) opinion on it.

The Brio R is a good amp but the HiFi world is full of such products and some excel beyond others, such is any good design, in any field.

What's your excuse even for a Brio-R then?

I had Brio-R, now I have much cheaper Rotel RA-10. Rotel's better, IMO. More money for records. My unit lacks on 3 accounts when compared with my Brio-R though; no hum, no channel imbalance, no remote.

advertisement

Back