advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
Any recommendations for box sets discovered recently offering amazing value?

Musical Genre not important - indeed inexpensive boxes positively encourage exploring new artists and styles IME.

I just picked up the Lady Day Box - ten albums spanning the entire Columbia catalogue for just over £20. Great packaging and well mastered. Crazy value for money from a musical perspective.

The Simon & Garfunkel Box for £15 was also a bit of a steal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've added a couple of links as they help pay for the site! Will come back with some recommendations later as there are tons of real bargains out there at the moment (though watch out for unlicensed EU loophole pirates).

Thanks for the Billie Holiday tip off merlin.

Bring on the recommendations Tony, I'm in the mood for bargains.

Bring on the recommendations Tony, I'm in the mood for bargains.

A long-standing recommendation for the CBS/Sony Original Album Classics and WEA Original Album Series boxes, there's tons of great stuff there and they fairly regularly add new titles to each range, so worth doing a search now and again.

For more specific recommendations (as mentioned on another thread) I'm currently working my way through this Disques Vogue vintage jazz box, and very nice it is too.

It's an amazing time to start exploring a new genre, e.g. if I was starting out with jazz what better way than this 25xCD Columbia Jazz Collection, this Perfect Jazz Collection, and Vol II, the same for Blues and Miles get's one all of his own here.

It's a great time to grab whole chunks of an artist's catalogue too, e.g. £20 gets you all of Coltrane's Atlantic recordings in The Heavyweight Champion. A ton of Brubeck can be had for under £50 in the Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection, and Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra can be had for beer money.

That will do for one post, but there is tons out there. Why people pay more for compressed downloads is entirely beyond me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For Miles fans, this 6CD box set, covering the second great quintet, is a steal.
It's been out in different packaging for up to five times the price, but, bar the slightly fiddly way to get the CDs out, there's nothing wrong with this version.

Fo looking out generally, I use popmarket newsletters and superdeluxeedition.com who let you know which country is doing the best amazon price and Paul Sinclair gives his opinion on pricing vs quality. Popmarket is good as I have never paid government theft on their non-EU imports and they mostly discount.

I don't think I have paid full RRP for ages. I got Station To Station vinyl set for 50 quid via popmarket, Mellon Collie vinyl box set for 15 quid.....this was due to a canadian amazon pricing mistake. This kind of error comes up a lot on the reader responses to superdeluxeedition's posting.

I am not sure if there are other places to look out?

Thanks for those Tony

Particularly the Blues Box is an essential and has been ordered.

A lot of the Jazz I either have on vinyl or spangly SACD's but I'm always looking for something new.

I recommend highly The Complete Works of Fela Kuti which Amazon has listed at 70 quid. While it may seem relatively expensive, it contains 27 disks covering 46 albums. The box is also available in 3 separate vols. but collectively they are more pricey.

Sonically quite a treat too, except for some albums which had poorer recordings.

If you have any serious interest in music, you can't afford not to have this.

Some great recommendations here chaps! Weather Report about to turn up courtesy of Amazon Prime, Mahavishnu Orchestra on Monday... All too easy!

A couple of jazz pianists:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004I289FE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003V1ARGC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not sure of they're legit releases or loophole-exploiting knock-offs. Maybe Tony will advise.

Both legit and excellent (I have them both along with the similar Coltrane Prestige box). They are IIRC Italian issues and are effectively the 80s and early 90s Original Jazz Classics CDs of each album chucked in a few fat-multi-CD boxes and an outer slip-case. They sound superb. Highly recommended.

Just listening to this in the background as I peruse the forum.

516eYuQvYSL._SS135_SL160_.jpg

€10.32. sorry £10.32.

never knew much about Linda, surprised to hear so much Costello, Lowe, Zevon etc. on here.

flac lossless streaming is obviously unstoppably on the way with these prices.

SJB

For Miles fans, this 6CD box set, covering the second great quintet, is a steal.
It's been out in different packaging for up to five times the price, but, bar the slightly fiddly way to get the CDs out, there's nothing wrong with this version.

Picked up a copy from Head, Lemington Spa a couple of weeks ago for 10 quid (along with the 6 CD set 'Miles Davis and John Coltrane - The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955 - 1961)

Karl

advertisement

Back