advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
Usually speakers are the most obvious for me. When I went shopping for my first pair as a student in the early 80s, I fancied those blingy Missions with the white baffles and the big Mission print on the front ( obviously intended to be used without grilles- impress your mates stylee). As soon as I listened I thought 'nope'. As soon as I heard Castle Tynes it was an instant yes. So I ended up leaving with the pipe and slippers option.

I tried a benchmark dac (not the lastest one) in my headphone rig as a headphone amp for my Senn 650's and within a minute , I switched it off and said thanks , but no thanks to the seller.

Pretty much every Audio Technica cartridge I've heard, makes my teeth itch.

Shahinian loudspeakers. This was in the early 90s and I can't remember the model as I erased them from my memory.

Naim SBL and SL2. Both heard with the appropriate Naim amplification and good front ends. I just found the presentation boring. In the first instance I bought Kabers and in the second PMC OB1's. However, I know there are plenty who rate them both highly.

The n-Sat. The shock of that first abrasive listen threw me straight into the arms of SF. Th

Naim Arrivas - heard these a few times in a few different systems and they've always sounded flat and boring to me.

Rich

I tried a benchmark dac (not the lastest one) in my headphone rig as a headphone amp for my Senn 650's and within a minute , I switched it off and said thanks , but no thanks to the seller.

To my great disappointment, the Stax Omega 007t reference system. I piled into the dealers, account balance checked, intent on leaving with them. I found the treble incredibly rolled off and my heart sank after a couple of tracks, convinced there must be something wrong with them. The dealer even checked them himself and said no, that is what they sound like. My ears- not good enough for the legendary Stax.

Oddly, ( WRT some posts above) I love AT cartridges and own a Benchmark HDR...

DartZeel integrated priced about 18,000 Euros - this spring.

Even as a competition prize I would have difficulty living with that integrated.

Nothing I've bought, but some Chord cable (name forgotten) I borrowed from a dealer. It made the whole system 'shouty'.

Also borrowed a Nordost Thor mains block (£1k at the time) which sounded exactly the same as a Maplin's £10 offering, no doubt because of bottlenecks elsewhere in the system.

Oh, and Dynaudio speakers and a Sugden Masterclass amplifer.

advertisement

Back