advertisement

202/200 better than the 282/250?

M@ver1ck

pfm Member
I might be in the minority, but having both the 282/250 and the 202/200, I seem to prefer the 202/200. I wonder what kind of 'setup' issues I'm running into - or are there other folks out there how have the same sort of preference?

I might be in the minority, but having both the 282/250 and the 202/200, I seem to prefer the 202/200. I wonder what kind of 'setup' issues I'm running into - or are there other folks out there how have the same sort of preference?

If you prefer it it's better, end of.

TBH I have always thought the 202/200 combo is a sweet spot.

off topic but i am waiting to compare the s'nait 2, to the 202/200 having been might impressed with the s'nait 2 -

what aspects of the 202/200 do you prefer?

I agree, if you prefer the 202/200 then that is what it is all about.
I ran a a 202/200 hicapDR into a pair of ATC SCM19s for a while. I enjoyed it. I later changed the 202 for a 282, and did enjoy the change significantly in terms added detail and insight. I finally changed the 200 for a 250 and enjoyed the additional control and weight, textures and space around the sounds running into the 19s. So yes I really enjoyed the 202/200 and I can understandy why you like it, but for me it was trumped by the 282/250, but then that is not a cheap change or option.
The 202/250 is a complete no no in my expierience with a leaden, incessant sound, especially into the ATCs.
Simon

What was your source?

That should have been sufficient to show a difference. I'd email Naim if not my dealer to discuss it further assuming you want to pursue it. It could be an indicator you're losing information in your present setup regardless of preamp used. Just a thought....

I suspect its the speakers and room that are the bottleneck. My domestic situation doesn't allow for the system to be plot into brain and Brawn at this point either.

In any case, I'm happy enough with my current setup, and should be able to sell of the 282/250 at little or no loss.

The 282/250 adds a ton of bass information to the mix - I suspect the room needs more treatment to handle that.

The 202/200 sound is very clean sounding. I've ran a SN-1 for a few months, but was never too happy with it - all with a Hicap dr and same source.

Also, with the 282/200 - I feel the 200 isn't passing all the info through.

OP, you are perhaps preferring the sound of an unregulated Naim power amp which many do, the 250 being regulated, it's a much smoother and slower presentation, of course if you believe there is a difference between amps.

In old money as it were, many, myself included and I believe JV as well, prefer the NAP 160 to the 250. You maybe experiencing the same thing.

This could be due to the simple fact that you prefer the leaner sound of the Nap 200 over the grunt of the Nap 250. I would try a Nap 200 on the Nac 282 which should be quite a lot better than the 202.

If that doesn't show the Nac 282 to be better than the 202 then I would look where the good people above point you.

Peter

I suspect its the speakers and room that are the bottleneck. My domestic situation doesn't allow for the system to be plot into brain and Brawn at this point either.

In any case, I'm happy enough with my current setup, and should be able to sell of the 282/250 at little or no loss.

The 282/250 adds a ton of bass information to the mix - I suspect the room needs more treatment to handle that.

The 202/200 sound is very clean sounding. I've ran a SN-1 for a few months, but was never too happy with it - all with a Hicap dr and same source.

Also, with the 282/200 - I feel the 200 isn't passing all the info through.

You very well may be right, however, I wouldn't throw money at it. I'd have someone skilled at Naim system setup over to check your install assuming again you want to pursue the problem. It may very well be fixable with setup adjustments with the result being improved performance using either preamp. Once everything is sorted, I'd then re-evaluate the 282 and decide if it works for me or not.

Just my two cents....and best of luck regardless!

dave

advertisement

Back