advertisement

Spotify moving into 'hi fi'

agreed that 320K may not be lossless but as a database and as an addition to any lossless streaming we may have via NAS or whatever, it seems a worthwhile proposition...though ofcourse I do this already through Mac mini it can be cumbersome without the elegant remote that iTunes thoughtfully provide

AirPlay will work at Apple Lossless quality, Spotify somewhat lower quality?

Looks like it opens the door for much higher streaming rates as the mobile device only acts as a control point; the renderer will connect directly to the internet (I think) so could be interesting.

Interesting ... thanks for posting the link. I guess bit rates will be max of 320kbps if coming from Spotify over the net, though no reason why they cannot offer higher quality.

On a slightly different topic, with Airplay if you are playing an Apple Lossless file due you actually get the full quality or does Airplay take the ALAC file and compress it before streaming? The reason I ask is that if I play an ALAC file from iTunes on my Mac on a Zeppelin Air via Airplay, it sounds worse than the same file on an iPod Classic docked into the Zepp Air. Couldn't figure out why - same bits into the same DAC / amp / speakers should sound the same right?

Let's review those factors affecting quality of Spotify's 320 feed in full.

1. Mastering quality of source file used.
2. See point 1.

:)

Let's review those factors affecting quality of Spotify's 320 feed in full.

1. Mastering quality of source file used.
2. See point 1.

:)
I've found the notionally gapless playback to be patchy- I'm not sure whether this is an issue with the source files - I seem to remember spotify said so.

A mate has the 320 Spotify setup, it's excellent. On his kitchen system (which is no slouch at all and covers 80% of his listening) it's indistinguishable from a very good CDP, on his main system the heavily tweaked Marantz CDP just shades it. It's very close indeed. For your average punter with a £200 CDP, midprice integrated amp, speakers to match, I'd be very surprised if anyone heard the difference. Cue Princess & Pea type ctatements.

agreed that 320K may not be lossless but as a database and as an addition to any lossless streaming we may have via NAS or whatever, it seems a worthwhile proposition...though ofcourse I do this already through Mac mini it can be cumbersome without the elegant remote that iTunes thoughtfully provide

Have you tried the remoteless app? You install a client on the mac and then control from ipad, it works really and once you're used to the layout it's actually very good.

I find spotifys 320k stream to very good and it's excellant for trying to bands etc before buying CDs or vinyl etc.

It would be good if you could stream radio through spotify as well though.

Obviously Sonos provides 320 Spotify streaming already (with control from excellent iThing and android device apps).

advertisement

Back