advertisement

Why aren't Focal very popular?

G

Guest432

Have got some Chorus 816 and after trying Linn keilidhs, naim SBLs, PMC, Neat and Kefs so far these are the best I've had. Still haven't finished yet as I want to try a complete Rega setup but have never seen anyone recommend Focal when someone asks for suggestions.

Is it just because they are French or they own Naim? :)

Have got some Chorus 816 and after trying Linn keilidhs, naim SBLs, PMC, Neat and Kefs so far these are the best I've had. Still haven't finished yet as I want to try a complete Rega setup but have never seen anyone recommend Focal when someone asks for suggestions.

Is it just because they are French or they own Naim? :)

I heard focals at a naim event earlier this year, remind me very much of ATC, very clean a bit bright for my tastes though.

I used some Electra 906s years ago, driven by a tube technology unisis and it was a sweet combo, very detailed and unforced, and no brightness at all. I visited a well known focal dealer and he played a higher midel and sounded shouty and coarse at his with solid state amps ( bel canto IIRC).
I know Sugden use Focal at their factory so maybe they are a fussy match and just too easy to get wrong. I love how they are put together, the build is superb.

Ah excellent thanks, so I think I like bright speakers. What other makes of speakers would be described as bright or Focal sounding?

Are ATC 11s likely to sound better than the 816s?

A guy at a dealers in Chester recommended Focal for my sugden Mystro as he said it should be a good match (he was right) he did say that the PMCs I had were a bad match as they were far too warm for the clean sugden.

Not sure if bright is a bad term but I certainly like the cleanliness in the top and middle that the Focals give. I've moved them around to tame the bass as it was very boomy when I first set them up.

ATC anythings are highly likely to sound better than anything else, in my very uninformed opinionette.

Yet, curiously the Focals all tend to measure very well and pretty much flat. My 1028's were flat in-room to within 1db, 35hz-20khz.

I agree with other postee's, I have always found Focal, brittle and Edgy, whatever the price. I found some of the biggest in superexpensive set ups at shows, some of the most unpleasant. It is simply down to the sound you like, mais il n'est pas mon tas de The. I am sure someone will point out the error in my 50 year old schoolboy French.

I think it's because you have to say it funny.
"Do you have any Focal speakers?"
"Oh, you mean Fo-cahhhl speakers. It's pronounced Fo-cahhhl."
Stuff it, where's your Harbeth section?"

tried the 806's at home and I thought they were remarkable sounding, not bright at all and I felt they were excellent VFM.

Enjoy your music

regards Al

Yet, curiously the Focals all tend to measure very well and pretty much flat. My 1028's were flat in-room to within 1db, 35hz-20khz.

It would be interesting to look at how they handle the primary driver resonances within the crossover function. Buried resonances can be audible but more than a simple FR plot is required to reveal them.
A few power response measurements might also be illuminating.

Kasper said:
"Do you have any Focal speakers?"
"Oh, you mean Fo-cahhhl speakers. It's pronounced Fo-cahhhl."
Stuff it, where's your Harbeth section?"

Exactly! The first time I asked about them I felt like an ass-or at least was made to feel that way because I didn't say it properly. Good God. How effing hoidy-toidy.

Tim

Had different models of atc over 20 years still found nothing to be their equal at given price points. If you do not believe me just look on their web site for list of studios,venues and musicians who use them. Give a pair a hearing and see what you think. Your ears are different to mine!

I never mentioned focal I just expressed a view how satisfied I had been with atc and suggested the enquirer might give a listen to atc at his price point.

advertisement

Back