advertisement

portable streamer for the garden?

synapse

pfm Member
what with all the sitting in the garden opportunities at the moment, i was wondering if there's anything out there to allow me to listen to what's playing in the house (mac mini - dac -amp - speakers) without turning the volume up, which can be inappropriate at certain times?

perhaps a portable streamer or wireless speakers or...and this is what I fancy, an old 80's boom box modded with the addition of a raspberry pi streamer? Something that 'slaves' to what is playing inside the house?

what's out there for minimal outlay...as, to be frank, it's not going to get much use is it?

Your main problem here is getting sufficient wi fi coverage in the garden, can you pick it up on your phone?

Putting a wifi repeater/amplifier in can get a little complex

I use SqueezeBoxes throughout the house, but for the garden I use a bluetooth speaker system (Jawbone Big Jambox) and my phone or tablet playing FLAC as a source. Nice and simple, and I use it when we go on holiday

Is it important that it's synced with the music inside? What streaming system do you use?

It isn't complex at all, Apple makes it simple

When you buy an Airport Express you can set it to be a new network or extend a network
Select extend a network
it then extends the network to include your new Airport Express to the wherever it is pugged in, say by the garden door -- assuming the garden door is signal reach of the main router (if its not it will warn you with a yellow flashing light)

Playback wise I am looking at the Cambridge Audio Minx Air http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/minx-air-200 myself for the kitchen although to be honest for £429 you could probably do nicer with a semi DIY build using a cabinet maker, three full range speakers and a Tripath Amp kit

yes...that is the problem...I'd like it synced with what is happening inside; no streamer per se, just direct from mac to dac.

Otherwise yes, I could use phone as source, problem solved with something from the likes of jawbone or JBL

wifi coverage is good in the garden...well most of it

would ideally like to do without cable for power...so battery

yes...that is the problem...I'd like it synced with what is happening inside; no streamer per se, just direct from mac to dac.

Otherwise yes, I could use phone as source, problem solved with something from the likes of jawbone or JBL

wifi coverage is good in the garden...well most of it

If you could run a 'client' on your phone then you'd be sorted...I'm not up on apple, but you could certainly do the same with Squeezebox or Winamp on Android and PC, do you run iTunes on your Mac, there's bound to be something for a phone or tablet.

It isn't complex at all, Apple makes it simple

When you buy an Airport Express you can set it to be a new network or extend a network
Select extend a network
it then extends the network to include your new Airport Express to the wherever it is pugged in, say by the garden door -- assuming the garden door is signal reach of the main router (if its not it will warn you with a yellow flashing light)

Good point well made...:)

wondering whether there's an app for the iphone that allows streaming from the mac mini? There is 'streamer' but unsure it has this function in mind?

isub music app may work though unsure i'd be able to stream to ipad (portable battery powered speakers attached) and then use remote on iphone to control the mac mini which in turn sets stream to ipad at the same time....I'll give it a go I guess?

For me

IDevice, PlugPlayer and Chill Pill speakers is it,

Can stream anything on the NAS, bbc radio and others there.

DS

These Pioneer's
are great for the garden in summer.
Has radio CD and a USB socket for sticks and pods.
£49.99 from richer sounds at the mo.£79.99 most other places.
Barry.

advertisement

Back