advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT... JohnW have a full inbox, so i hope he will read it in this thread...

Hello John,

I will get my brand new M-DAC at tuesday, and I really want the best. So I am really excited by your offer in major update of this unit. My only condition is that I am there with you, and you'll give me the original parts (and explain why are you changing them).
From your posts about D1 (very, very true...) I assume you are located around Brno. I live in Prague right now, but I studied at The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication at Brno University of Technology. I am mobile, so that is not a problem at all.

I know a few things about analog filters and FFT transforms (windows like Hanning and basic theoretical principles) from school so I would love to hear your thoughts about your methods, design and modifications.

And last, but not least, what kind of beverage do you like? :) , I could bring anything you like (except Becherovka, I will explain when we meet. That one had really bad consequences for me, if You know what I mean).

Thank you for Your time,

I hope we meet someday.

Sincerely,
Z.P.

P.S.: If you prefer talking in the Czech language, there is no problem at all!

Get to the back of the queue!!!

Apologies if off topic, but I wonder if anyone can help me. Just downloaded trial of JRiver and connected pc to my CDQ via USB. Ripped a disc and set audio output to WASAPI (using Win7). I get the following "...Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI' using the format '44.1kHz 16bit 2ch'. This output may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio (?) to change the output to a compatible format. Also, make sure your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

Using Windows Media Player in the past, the CDQ has seemed to 'lock' onto the pc (i.e. "24 bit/96kHz" displayed on screen. Now this is not shown. Any pointers/help would be very much appreciated. Cheers, Kevin.

EDIT: I have my pc "speakers" set to Audiolab...

Thanks John and Jirij for your replies. :)

I'll change my order from mm av bypass to balanced headphone socket please. If this okay.
Will be happy with rear option if this is easier.

Let me know if there is a balance to pay.

Thanks

Noted - dont worry about the small difference in cost :)

Hello John,

Have attempted to contact you a couple of times – the inbox has reached its maximum. Needless to say, you must be having plenty of work in queue. Anyhow, I would be willing to get my M-DAC upgraded.

Apologies if off topic, but I wonder if anyone can help me. Just downloaded trial of JRiver and connected pc to my CDQ via USB. Ripped a disc and set audio output to WASAPI (using Win7). I get the following "...Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI' using the format '44.1kHz 16bit 2ch'. This output may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio (?) to change the output to a compatible format. Also, make sure your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

Using Windows Media Player in the past, the CDQ has seemed to 'lock' onto the pc (i.e. "24 bit/96kHz" displayed on screen. Now this is not shown. Any pointers/help would be very much appreciated. Cheers, Kevin.

EDIT: I have my pc "speakers" set to Audiolab...

Make sure that the MDAC is not the default output device in windows otherwise the exclusive access needed by Jriver is blocked.

Fusion, Many thanks. I've disabled CDQ as my pc 'speakers' default. I'm new to streaming, but have managed to cobble-together a way of getting better SQ than spinning a disc in the CDQ as follows:

-Rip cd as: 'ape' file type

-Playback via Jriver as: Output Mode =Kernal Streaming and Output Mode Settings/Device =Audiolab 8200 Series and Bitdepth =24 bit integer.

I imagine that until I can get hold of some 24/96 downloads, this is as good as it gets? And ASIO/WASAPI are 24/96 playback only?

Thanks again :)

Thank you so much John !!

Will start saving for a pair of Mamps....
In the meantime back to the headphone quest :)

Fusion, Many thanks. I've disabled CDQ as my pc 'speakers' default. I'm new to streaming, but have managed to cobble-together a way of getting better SQ than spinning a disc in the CDQ as follows:

-Rip cd as: 'ape' file type

-Playback via Jriver as: Output Mode =Kernal Streaming and Output Mode Settings/Device =Audiolab 8200 Series and Bitdepth =24 bit integer.

I imagine that until I can get hold of some 24/96 downloads, this is as good as it gets? And ASIO/WASAPI are 24/96 playback only?

Thanks again :)

Actually with Windows Vista or newer (7, 8) you should use wasapi event style as preferred output method. The 24 bit bitdepth setting is only the maximum possible. When playing a 16/44 file the CDQ/MDAC should only display 16/44 or something is not working correctly.

I wrote a very long and analytical feedback with my iPad and when I was about to send it, the message was destroyed, because I was thrown out of my logging. Never write long things with tablets in a window of a discussion. This happens so easily.

The feedback was very positive and I must say that I am very happy with the level 2 and Toy upgrades.

Thank you John!

Actually with Windows Vista or newer (7, 8) you should use wasapi event style as preferred output method. The 24 bit bitdepth setting is only the maximum possible. When playing a 16/44 file the CDQ/MDAC should only display 16/44 or something is not working correctly.

Thanks. The problem seems to be that I can choose 'WASAPI' but not 'Wasapi Event'. Also, under 'Wasapi settings', there are drop-down "device" options of: (Default) or Speakers (Realtek Hi Definition Audio). Either of these settings gives me the original message when hitting Play about "Playback could not be started with wasapi...".

No variables like "Open Device for Exclusive Access" or Buffering/Prebuffering levels make any difference. :(

Do I perhaps need to install a Wasapi Audiolab driver for the "device" box? Sorry to be a pain, but it is frustrating...
Cheers.

Thanks. The problem seems to be that I can choose 'WASAPI' but not 'Wasapi Event'. Also, under 'Wasapi settings', there are drop-down "device" options of: (Default) or Speakers (Realtek Hi Definition Audio). Either of these settings gives me the original message when hitting Play about "Playback could not be started with wasapi...".

No variables like "Open Device for Exclusive Access" or Buffering/Prebuffering levels make any difference. :(

Do I perhaps need to install a Wasapi Audiolab driver for the "device" box? Sorry to be a pain, but it is frustrating...
Cheers.

Install iTunes.

These flaky media players a good laugh, but that's all.

You can't compare iTunes for Windows with the Mac version.

I know its difficult to make it bit perfect, but it works. Every time.

And as the fellow doesn't have anything like a working player now nevermind a bit perfect one...

Well, seems easier to lob on a player that goes.

IAG have just posted a USB driver on their website (dated 28/06/2013)

EDIT- as fusion has pointed out it looks as though this is intended for the QDAC rather than the M-dac

I know its difficult to make it bit perfect, but it works. Every time.

And as the fellow doesn't have anything like a working player now nevermind a bit perfect one...

Well, seems easier to lob on a player that goes.

On a Mac I would go with iTunes anytime. On Windows iTunes is just another of these flaky media players. They all are. But mainly because the Windows output system is crap. All players need some degree of configuration efforts.

But normally I leave the choice of player to the user and just try to help. Maybe KevinNZ is already using JRiver for video playback and just wants to add the audio capabilities to his system. JRiver has some very unique features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back