advertisement

Cello music... I want it all...

arthur

Banned
But where do I start?

I have some by Handel and I've just ordered yo-yo ma's (?) Bach collection from a good Sony source ( it says ).

Now I'd like to get a good collection started. It has to be cd, no turntable, and I'd like good quality recordings, as well as performances when possible.

Solo instrument and accompanied and anything else, even rock cello ( if there is such an apparent travesty).

I'm aware of the school of thought that reckons the performance is all, but I don't belong to it.

Any suggestions gleefully tried out.

Thanks all.

Bach's cello concertos is probably a reasonable starting place.
Stephen Isserlis, on the Hyperion label is very clean, clear, close mic'd recording. I find it quite intense.
There are quite a few good recordings of his cello concertos & the material is first class.
Matt.

Tavener The Protecting Veil Stephen Isserlis.....well worth tracking down....beautiful beyond words

Last edited by a moderator:
Bach's cello concertos: Rostopovich, Tortelier, Maisky, Schiff, Fournier, Casals and Bylsma.

Check out the remarkable Hildur Gudnadottir

Absolutely - Without Sinking is essential.

In a jazz context, here's some great cello playing from Abdul Wadud on some of Arthur Blythe's records from the mid 80s - "Explorations" for example.

Britten's Cello Suites are worth a listen

For rock cello try Roy Wood "Boulders" and the first ELO album.

Did Bach (JS at least) write any cello concertos?

I think they mean the six suites for unaccompanied cello.

You'd also probably have to throw starker into the mix.

EDIT: i'd also throw in beethoven's triple concerto. listening to it now. just lovely.

$T2eC16RHJHYE9nzpdVJsBP+!1td8!Q~~60_35.JPG

Here?

Need to get Haydn Celli concertos, Dvorak as well. Brahms Cello Sonatas, Beethoven Sonatas. The Frank sonata on the cello works well. Schubert Arpegione is a joy, Strauss Don Quixote, Tchaikovsky Rococco variations. Andrew Lloyd Weber variations is the only piece for rock cello I can think of. Features Gary Moore as well.

Gentlemen thank you all. That's more than I thought existed.

I've found my iPad USB adaptor so i can now scoot through YouTube and listen to these suggestions and anything else I find.

I'm very keen on the sound of the cello, it strikes me as right, in a way I don't understand as I'm quite new to classical and baroque.

Ill pop back to this thread from time to time to tell of my adventures.

Cheers, :)

advertisement

Back