advertisement

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

Honestly the new stuff (from a dealer) is rubbish at that price. A better present would be to put together a more 'classic' setup that has been properly thought through. Another thing is that a bad setup can easily ruin the best system.

Also you'll want an external phonostage - The Project phonobox 2 would be my choice

That is a bit of a sweeping generalisation. It depends on the listener, but I can think of a fair number of ''classic'' set ups that would give way to budget new stuff in my system.

I know of nothing at £800 that will better a Pioneer A400 from 1996 (with fresh caps)

For me I had to buy a Nait XS and a TeddyCap and that's over £1k 2nd hand

A few PFMers have replaced their 282/DTC with that Chevron Pre. If it were my money that's what I would go for and then start with a reasonable DIYed power Amp. The £500 HackerNap that recently sold would have been an awesome purchase. Dodgy leads could strip the life out of the whole thing though.

That's good to hear, I stuck and A400 in the cupboard years ago and forgot about it! However, I'm just about to send it off for a turbo-charge.

Icon Audio's entry level integrated valve amp is £600 new. Would leave £100 for something like a Cambridge Audio phono stage.

It's a 15w amp though so it would also depend on speakers, room size etc.

Yup.

Rega Brio-R, btw.

To conclude this , he has arranged 2 demos . At one dealer , Rega and ex demo Moon(?!) are being auditioned , at the other it's Naim and Creek. He said to thank everyone for their time and advice.
To end the speculation , the cyclist is Becky James.

Cheers

Tony

Well, his possible future son in law, George North, could certainly afford that given his move to Northampton.

Anyway, just one other option might be a Puresound A10. Not as much grunt as the A30, but sweet sounding nevertheless.

Charlie

Never believe any review you have to listen for yourself.

Indeed, I'm as sceptical as is necessary.

But Creek's reputation is unassailable and John Westlake, who had a hand in the design, is no newcomer.

Add all that to the real measurements from Paul Miller and the Creek seems like a pretty safe bet.

Unchecked cynicism is no good either.

Will do, as soon as I get my bum in gear and sort a courier.

I've also kept a pair of Mission 760se. These had a revised crossover and could sound lovely with posh amps, will be interesting to hear any improvements.

advertisement

Back