advertisement

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

glenda

pfm Member
Hi folks,

a colleague and friend is approaching his 50th, having his LP12 overhauled and looking for a new amp - probably partnered with some Audio Physic Yara Compacts or B & Ws in a modest sized room.
He is looking to spend £500 - £800 on a new amp and considering a demo of the Rega Brio , a Creek Evolution 50a or an Arcam . A built in MM phono stage would be an advantage.
I have lost touch with developments in new kit so am struggling to advise. Can anyone help?
He is the father of a very famous cyclist by the way - completely irrelevant but I thought that , if I mentioned it , some cyclists / hi fi buffs might be more inclined to provide suggestions.

Many thanks

Tony

A Rega Brio-R is extremely good value for money, but wilth £700, I'd recommend used or at least ex-demo amps (most ex-demo amps are as new and come with full warranty).
You could even get a Heed Obelisk, if lucky - fabulous amps

The new Creek Evolution 50A is supposed to be very good and costs £700.

Add £100 if you want a MM phono stage.

Lefty

Arghh, does it really have to be new, I have seen a rega elicit on eBay for £720. It's one of the very best integrates I have heard, the only integrateds I have heard that better it are the Naim supernait and the Rega Osiris.

Assuming you really do mean new only - other contenders are Audiolab 8200A, Rotel RA-12, Cyrus 6a...

What inputs is he after? The Rotel is pretty versatile on this front for example.

Might be worth looking for ex-demo for a good deal if buying from a shop is the aim?

Ultimately make sure he listens before he buys :)

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

I will undercut that and offer advice on a new amp for £500, please PM for payment details is it.

(the answer is a NAD)

DS

I'll suggest the new Creek 50A.

Has some excellent reviews and is to be made upgradable with a dac card by around June too if required at any point?

And £700 on the nose.

Aha, I see lefty already did so.

There is nothing new/ mainstream and worth having at that price :-(

...gotta be either 2nd hand or a PFM custom build

Does he need a remote?
Can it be a pre and power, or is an integrated preferred?
How many inputs does he require?

Perhaps a Chevron Paradox pre
http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/preamplifier.htm
...and then a £400 ish 2nd hand (poss DIY) power amp from the classifieds - there is a nice NAP 180 going for £350 right now and that's been checked over by MisterC6 and he (Malcolm) really does know what he's doing.

Job done - I don't think you'll better that combo at the price.

Dan

Thanks for all the advice - some of them were very interesting - I think that it has to be a new amp as , hey , it's his 50th birthday.

I know that going used / ex demo makes more sense but it looks like a couple of demos at local dealers is the best current option - if the amp comes with a phono stage , that would be a bonus.

Thanks again

Tony

I'll suggest the new Creek 50A.

Has some excellent reviews and is to be made upgradable with a dac card by around June too if required at any point?

And £700 on the nose.

Aha, I see lefty already did so.

Never believe any review you have to listen for yourself.

Thanks for all the advice - some of them were very interesting - I think that it has to be a new amp as , hey , it's his 50th birthday.

I know that going used / ex demo makes more sense but it looks like a couple of demos at local dealers is the best current option - if the amp comes with a phono stage , that would be a bonus.

Thanks again

Tony

Honestly the new stuff (from a dealer) is rubbish at that price. A better present would be to put together a more 'classic' setup that has been properly thought through. Another thing is that a bad setup can easily ruin the best system.

Also you'll want an external phonostage - The Project phonobox 2 would be my choice

advertisement

Back